C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How test the IAC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Toggy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How test the IAC?

I need to find out if my Iac is working properly, can I do that with a voltmeter? if so, how?

Thanx
/Toggy
Old 03-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 348 Posts

Default Re: How test the IAC? (Toggy)

This is going to be a little harder then on a crossfire like what I have. First you will need to remove the IAC. Then you need to bridge the ALDL conector. You can use a paper clip or get one of those plug in diagnostic things from Wallmart and then turn the key one click forward. This should make the IAC move. If it were in the throttle body it would plug the hole. If you have a shop book it will go into more detail about it. To get the IAC to move back it its origanal posion just turn the ignition off. This will tell you if it is moving but not if it is leaking any. Just for piece of mind I would just buy a new one. I know this is how you would check one on a L83 Crossfire only without removing the IAC because you can see it from the top. It should be the same on a L98 but I'm not sure. If I'm wrong it won't hurt anything.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to find out if my Iac is working properly, can I do that with a voltmeter? if so, how?

Thanx
/Toggy
The easist way is to find a "bi-directional" scan-tool like the Vetronix Tech-1A, MasterTech, or Tech-2 -- http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/tech1a/index.html.
After connecting the scan-tool, you can simply send a command to the ECM to change the IAC position. If the IAC is working, the idle speed will change.

Tom Piper

[Modified by Tom Piper, 12:05 PM 3/25/2003]
Old 03-25-2003, 12:48 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The IAC has a set of coil that move the pintel when the ECM sends pusles to it; so you can only test for opens or shorts with a DMM.

I like the idea of removing it and jumpering the ALDL to see it move; but be careful that the pintel doesn't fall out. Lay it on a Bounty or such before turning the ignition On.

You need the scan tool to see how many pulses the ECM is sending to position the pintel.

Get notified of new replies

To How test the IAC?

Quick Reply: How test the IAC?