C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cross Fire Injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (ToddC4)

In addition, I never once said 84's handled poorly. Why would I? I said it was hard to find race parts and chassis parts. This board is funny sometimes. ;-)
Chassis parts such as what? Examples???
Old 05-01-2003, 03:48 PM
ToddC4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (Frizlefrak)

I can't believe I'm taking the time to do this.
http://www.madvet.com/shop?store=3&c...=115&frame=717 http://www.madvet.com/shop?store=3&c...148&frame=3897 http://www.madvet.com/shop?store=3&c...148&frame=3905 http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...2L9CNMBJWE7421

Then go in all those sites and just look at what is available for the pre-87 cars and the after 88's. Why are we even arguing parts selection? Isn't that common knowledge?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Jedi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again you talk nonsense.

Your example of parts on the web sites is no real example
Pick up your Ecklers catalogue and flick through, you name it and it seems to be there for a 84.Springs, shocks, bushing sets,rebuild sets etc.
Not a great deal that is unavailiable so not really an issue when it comes to ownership.
You went out of your way to find examples that did not include the 84.

As for the 383 being stupid, like people have already said, change intake and you can tune away.
WHY in hell not use a 383...it is still a small block.Remember the stock manifold is not the only option.
You dont hear people saying "dont buy a TPI as the intake is too restrictive"
NO people just change them .
You say why buy a car that you know you have to change the intake on straight away if you want to tune it.
The same applies for the L98, but nobody says WHY buy an L98 when you have to change the intake for real performance.When they are also more expensive to change.

Just what do you think is so different on the cross-fire. All power is , is air and fuel. With mods you can chuck just as much down the mouth of a small block as any other method(TPI or carb) Its just different.
It might take a little more work and thought but isn't that part of the fun?

I admit that if ultimate performance is your goal its not the first choice , but with the right work it can be a player.NO BS
Old 05-01-2003, 06:59 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (Saisling)

Dude...why are so negative? (ToddC4)
This guy just wants to buy a vette.

Quote:or just go buy the car. Geez! Trying to help a guy out is all.
This board is funny sometimes. ;-)

How did you make your dumb move buying a L98? And this board isn't funny as you say.

Quote:I personally think the L98's all the way up to 91 were horribly underpowered and only good for boat or towing motors. GM engineering would agree.

SOOO.....what do you own?

Quote:Then go in all those sites and just look at what is available for the pre-87 cars and the after 88's. Why are we even arguing parts selection? Isn't that common knowledge?

Why? I bought mine elsewhere's and never had a problem and the price is the same.I had a 84 and never had a problem with cost or parts.
DUH!!! there are places called perfomance shops that will do it all....and not out of a catalog like you.

Quote:
By comparison, I picked up my '89 6 speed for $6000 with lots of oil leaks and 150K miles. A non-issue when a motor swap was the first thing planned.

BTW I picked up my 94 with 67k one owner for $8000 and no oil leaks
or motor swaps to get dirty. Just get in and cruise. :lolg:

Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Doodie
Intermediate

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (Saisling)

Check Ebay and get more bang for your buck my friend.

Doodie :flag
Old 05-02-2003, 11:39 AM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (Doodie)

If everyone shopping for a corvette consulted this forum for advice, not one more 1984 Corvette would ever be sold again. :sad:
Old 05-02-2003, 12:14 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (blk90rdstr)

the crossfire intake ,cam, and heads, need replaceing.for best performance, the cars are ok. you will not believe its the same engine once the mods are done!
Old 05-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (grumpyvette)

the crossfire intake ,cam, and heads, need replaceing.for best performance, the cars are ok. you will not believe its the same engine once the mods are done!
I don't think the intake needs to be replaced (depends on power and rpm levels you're aiming for), but it does need to be modded. The Xfire can be one torquey motor which makes it lots of fun on the street.
You'd be surprised what the intake can support in way of heads and cam once properly modified. No question the cam is wimpy. What you find is that the Xfire actually runs out of fuel before it runs out of air. The original injectors can support 280hp, but the top end AFR gets real thin. And the staggered size injectors make good A/F mixture distribution almost impossible. And like any other C4, the mods you make will require ECM tuning to maximize potential. :chevy
Old 05-02-2003, 02:15 PM
ToddC4
Advanced

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (Jedi)

Jedi, I did not go out of my way to find those. I spent like 2 minutes on them. I post up proof and you still give me crap. I assure you that I have nothing to prove to you. There was just a post the other day on here about using C5 brakes on C4's and once again, to use them on an '84, you need to update to '85 or later knuckles. I'm not sure why you think I'm being biased or mean here. I'm just being truthful and trying to help out.

Did you even read anything I wrote there Jedi master? You said that a guy ran with a 383 and the crossfire intake. To which I replied that would have required an overdose of an illegal substance. Now you're saying build a 383 and put another intake on it and the car would be fine. Isn't that what I've been saying? An '84's biggest downfall by far is the intake. Which I have been saying. Have you been listening? If you don't mind changing the intakes, then cool, but it's not like changing oil filter brands. Why not pay the same for an '85 and have alot better setup and easier parts availability?

I'm not sure why I have to defend myself so much just to point out the facts.

True, to make great power, the TPI won't work either, but at least it's fun. It's head and shoulders above the CFI so if you want a cheap C4 with somewhat good power and don't like the idea of huge intake conversions, then an L98 is the ticket!

What do I think is different about the CF? Did you not see the pictures grumpyvette posted? Heck, even in your current state of knowledge, you correctly pointed out that power is fuel and air. Look at the ports and tell me all about the airflow potential. Look at the throttle body injectors and tell me about the fuel metering per cylinder capabilities.

You said with the right amount of work anything can be a player. I agree. Refer back to my Dodge Rampage comment.

How can you come out and say I speak nonsense and then back up your statement with a post like that?

Sorry if I seem negative. If you met me, you'd think exactly the opposite. I like all years. How many times in this post did I say I thought '84's were cool and had character?

I made my dumb move buying an L98 because it was the perfect base for lots of power and moderate investment. Email me if you really want to know about my master plan. I doubt you do. I sure as hell didn't buy an L98 car for the intake, heads, cam or engine block!

This board isn't as funny as I say? Just you saying that made me laugh. ;-) Thanks.

I own a 1989 Corvette. I think I said that before. I also posted why.

Performance shops do it all for you instead of getting all my parts from a catalog like I do? First of all, few shops do the quality of work that we do up here. Second, this car build is involving more fabrication than you can imagine. I'm not sitting in my Lazy Boy trying to decide whether to order a throttle body air foil or a Billy Boat sponsored exhaust system.

You got a good deal on a '94, but the LT1 didn't fit my list of needs.

See, this board is funny!

Old 05-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Bitter Knight
Pro

.....can't we all just get along? :sad:

Old 05-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Bitter Knight
Pro

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (Bitter Knight)

Sorry, I couldn't resist :lolg:

But seriously, I think the main point has gotten across, which is be it a crossfire or tuned port, there's always stuff that can be done to make them faster. If you want to keep it a crossfire, there are things you can do, and if you want to go tuned port, there are also things you can do there. It all depends on how much work you want to do and how much money you have to invest. The bottom line is the the C4 is a helluva car and they're tons of fun to drive, stock or modified. Just have fun! :yesnod:

[Modified by Bitter Knight, 12:20 PM 5/2/2003]
Old 05-02-2003, 05:44 PM
ToddC4
Advanced

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (Bitter Knight)

Good call. Nuff said.

:iagree:
Old 05-05-2003, 11:07 AM
drpepperkid
Instructor

Alright dude, here's the deal. Cross Fire is very crappy, there is no doubt about it, but people like that ***** who writes for corvette fever have no right to kick us when we ask for help. I have to say that the TPI engines aren't much better, (because they both run out of oomph beyond 4800rpm's), if I were you and I had the money, I would get an LS-1 or LT-1 (quite possibly the greatest base model engines ever created) and install it, and because those things have alot of power already, you don't have to begin modding it until you get some more dough. Or you can just convert your CFI to a carb, (an immediate 30 hp bolt on), throw away all of the computer and wiring, delete that smog pump, add a big cam (I would reccomend a crane, but a couple of guys I know had cranes in there cars, and they said the cranes suck, it already wore itself down along with rollers and the lifters in a matter of two weeks.), anyway, I would also add the biggest heads I could get on the engine, along with some higer compression cylinders, and valves, after you've finished, you've basically rebuilt the whole engine and replaced everything but the block, but you should now have a car capable of better than 360 hp.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:30 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (drpepperkid)

You seem to be quite knowledgeble. I think this is one thing I need.
some higer compression cylinders
Where do I get them and what brand do YOU recommend? I don't want to change or modify my block. What will they cost?
Old 05-06-2003, 12:41 PM
drpepperkid
Instructor

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (CFI-EFI)

So sue me if I'm wrong, I just began messing with cars last summer and I've talked to a few people, (mainly on the cross fire website), they've tried to persuade me to keep cross fire, but I'm not because it sucks. Bro, I really don't know if what I said was right, but I thought it was, (maybe there is no such thing as higher compression cylinders, I don't know, but I do know that I've heard about something that is higher compression, if you know, then dude, just tell me, don't be rude about it, just tell me I'm wrong and what I really mean (because I really only know what I'm doing about half the time), I'm no mechanic, just a 15 year old kid, (with minimal luck I might add), who knows just enough to get by with. Anyway, I've drug this post out long enough, I've gotta close.

[Modified by drpepperkid, 5:50 PM 5/6/2003]
Old 05-06-2003, 08:41 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (CFI-EFI)

You seem to be quite knowledgeble. I think this is one thing I need.
some higer compression cylinders
Where do I get them and what brand do YOU recommend? I don't want to change or modify my block. What will they cost?
:iagree: :lolg:
Old 05-06-2003, 09:36 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (drpepperkid)

You write with great authority. You tell of what modifications to add and the HP they will produce. I took you for a seasoned mechanic that had tried many combinations on many cars, and knew what worked and didn't.

Now you say: "I'm no mechanic, just a 15 year old kid, who knows just enough to get by with."

I guess I'm confused. Your advice comes from conversations you have had and also maybe overheard? With, "knows just enough to get by", are you sure you understood the conversations thoroughly enough to pass it along as advice?

The advice *I* seek and value the most is of the, "been there, done that" variety. Even then, what works for someone, may have a different effect for someone else. We all read, listen and try to learn by any means we can. Based on your above revelation, I wonder how you can advise others on what you have no experience with. DO keep listening and learning. When you have had an experience relevent to a question, please chime in with YOUR experience.

"maybe there is no such thing as higher compression cylinders," "if you know, then dude, just tell me"
No fair! I asked first! *I* don't know what they are, but I am willing to learn. Teach me...Please. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Cross Fire Injection

Old 05-06-2003, 09:53 PM
sumoboy
Racer

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (sumoboy)

quote: Alright dude, here's the deal.

If you listen you will learn...if you read you will learn...once you have learned then you can tell others to listen and read. :thumbs:

[Modified by sumoboy, 10:07 PM 5/6/2003]
Old 05-07-2003, 10:56 AM
drpepperkid
Instructor

Default Re: Cross Fire Injection (sumoboy)

Perhaps, I was wrong on that thing about higher compression cylinder (or not, I'm gonna look again), anyway, I know that everything else I said is right, and the horsepower gains I quoted should be pretty close, ( some of those mods I've seen dyno sheets on, and others were estimated from what the company quoted in the book, and because, as you said certain mods have different effects on different people), true I may speak with alot of authority (maybe to much), but I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I'm just giving you my opinion. Anyway, I'll talk to you later.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:40 PM
markd79ta
Intermediate

I think it should be possible to like any car or any motor for what it is. The '84 was awesome for what it was at the time it was made. I love the '85 I had, and I love the L98, and I love the LT1...don't have an LS1 yet, but I will love that too. Hey Saisling, do your research of what these cars do, and what can be done to them: get the one that fits your bill and have fun.

Putting a 383 under cross fire has to be one of the most crazy ideas I have ever heard. ....... Duh. It's making a square peg fit in a round hole. Like dumping money into an F-car to make it run with Y-cars. Sure, it can be done, but at what cost? You guys think I'm just talking crap about the '84's but I'm not. I'm just saying that they are not a good choice at all for making power. Why the hell not pay the same money for 10 times the intake with the next year? If you're shopping from scratch?
ToddC4, you made a lot of good points, and I can appreciate your opinion. Some people like to buy an out of the box car, and some people like to modify it...it just depends on what one wants. I too get a little annoyed with people who brag about their car, and have no clue what it is. Anyhow, to make a long story short, I own f-bodies and y-bodies. Making an f-body a top performer is not putting a square into a circle. My '97 Trans Am was bought in '97 as a daily driver, it fits four, has the LT1/6-speed and I put 94,000 miles on it before retiring it. I am now in the process of moding it out with SLP subframe connectors, SLP strut-tower connector, B&M Ripper, (1LE Option) SLP suspension, SLP loudmouth, Accel 300+, HPP+ for stat/tires, Ram-Air hood, 275 front/315 rear (ZR1,17s), etc.etc. With these mods, I have 28K in this car and a lot of memories and fun. It will smoke my '86 Vette as it sits and likely until I make a lot of improvements to it, as well as being competitive with most stock '92s-96's for a fairly small investment...and, I can fit the two year old toddler in the back. In three or four years I will stroke it with a forged crank and pistons, port and polish the heads/intake, put the LT4 hotcam hit in it, and install the Powerdyne 6psi supercharger, BRAKES, (spend some quality
time with LT1 edit) it will smoke most of performance cars out there especially if I went for all BMR tubular/adjustable parts, front saddle, etc...and, I may someday; but, and actually, the parts for this car are much readily available and more affordable then the y-body. My investment to use will be incredible, and it did what I needed it to do during the entirety of its life; and the total vehicle cost from begining to end with everything that I want to do will cost around 40ish...NOT TOO BAD...in my book. Just because something isn't great as it sits doesn't mean that it can't be, but by the same token a person needs to know what it is. The best slogan I have ever seen...is "It is not what you buy...it is what you build." Oh, my show car is a '79 400 4sp Trans AM WS-6 Noctune Blue, with a custom ordered two tone white and baby blue interior (39k original miles)...I would definitely put this up against any '79 y-body, and I handed a person in a new '91 y-body his lunch on Academy Blvd. in Colorado Springs, CO back in '91. It has been in storage since...

Sorry, just need to defend my f-bodies :) Do the same thing when I need to defend my y-bodies :)

Drive on...and be creative!!!

Quick Reply: Cross Fire Injection