C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 intake conversion (distributor ?'s)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:12 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LT1 intake conversion (distributor ?'s)

When you convert to a LT1 intake on a L98 you need to go to a small cap hei. My question is this. How did you do the wiring? The two distributors have different connectors. I know that accel makes a harness, but it is about $50-60. How did you do yours? I have one that is going in a Jeep and I am doing one on my 91 corvette as well. TIA
Old 03-24-2004, 02:13 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: LT1 intake conversion (ANTI VENOM)

NAPA and AC Delco has pigtail harness connectors available to make the connections to the distributor and the remote mounted coil. If you need you can give me a call at the shop and I can get you the AC Delco pigtail part numbers.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:56 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LT1 intake conversion (tjwong)

Hey Tom, I probably will have to call you about that. I will also need the ecm connectors for a Syclone. I decided to go with the 7749 for the turbo. I'll also probably need to get with you on the peak and hold drivers. Can you I'm me the number? Thanks Tom!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:07 PM
HWoods
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jimsperformance.com makes these up for about $20.00 if you don't want to make them yourself.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

I have read of a couple of cases where the stock distributor is used in the C4. The egr on the back of the intake needs to be completely ground away. From what i can tell, the egr port is seperate from the intake port.
YMMV, but you may want to check if your stock dist fits before you go throught the expense of converting.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:57 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: LT1 intake conversion (Raistlin)

The EGR is essentially separate from the intake, BUT it has an opening in each runner and 2 3/8's+ openings, one behind each throttle bore. You can block the holes in the runners by taking the plugs out of the base and filling the drilled holes or plugging them with an 1/8 plug. the ones behind the throttle bores are more of a pain. I TIGged them closed and the runners also. Also when you remove all of the EGR stuff off the back, you leave a 1/2 x 1-3/4 slot that has to be filled. Don't grind too far on the back of the plenum or you'll cut into it. Once the EGR is gone, there is enough room to put the regular distributor back in ... once the hole for the dist shaft is made. It is a good bit of work. Then you have to enlarge the throttle bores to 58mm from about 48mm.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-24-2023)
Old 03-25-2004, 09:16 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: LT1 intake conversion (johnnyevans)

Well, I contemplated grinding off the egr bosses, but knew I would need to do some plugging/welding. I don't have a tig, so I thought that the distributor conversion may be easier for me. I already have the distributor hole in the manifold and just need to decide which route I want to go! Thanks for info.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (03-24-2023)
Old 03-25-2004, 09:42 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NP, the mod for the distributor wiring is no problem. You can buy the stuff new or you can go to the junkyard and cut what you need, maybe even pick up that heated O2 sensor while you're there. It's wire for wire, a soldering iron, some heat shrink and you are plug and play. V6 or V8 stuff is the same, Citations are good donor cars for stuff like that. The ignition coils are the same (I'll hear crap about that), I have noticed no difference in coils, and others who've done the same are the same. If you need colors for the wires, it's almost a match wire for wire, send me the info and I'll match for you.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: LT1 intake conversion (johnnyevans)

johnnyevans: thanks for the clarification!

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 intake conversion (distributor ?'s)

Quick Reply: LT1 intake conversion (distributor ?'s)