C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (MAF + MAP instead of just MAP) '92

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 12:11 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (MAF + MAP instead of just MAP) '92

O.k. since it's harder to tune a speed density car, and I also have to burn chips is it worthwhile to get a new computer and MAF to make my '92 more modern?

How much could this run me?
Old 06-24-2004, 12:35 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (MAF + MAP instead of just MAP) '92 (vvv90)

Hmm well you would have to get a harness from a 94/95 car, the PCM and a MAF sensor. The Opti would have to change as well because the connectors are different but you could adapt that easily. Everything else is the same in the engine compartment. I don't know about CCM compatibility you would have to check with the parts people at GM to see if the CCM is the same. It may communicate differently between the different controllers. Other than that I don't think it would be too hard to do the wiring swap.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:55 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (tjwong)

Actually you don't have to change the opti. If you use your old wiring piece that goes from the wiring harness to the plugin on the opti you'll be fine.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:53 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,413 Likes on 1,025 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (MAF + MAP instead of just MAP) '92 (vvv90)

I dont really think its worthwhile, its just a different system, and you just need to find someone with a reputation for the SD systems.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:03 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (vader86)

Having tuned and tuned on my SD car, I for one can say that it would be pretty nice. If you do any upgrades on your engine, the tune changes. Somedays, i can get my tune dead-nuts on, then log on another day, and its off! Maybe I suck at the tuning thing, but I have worked with the MAF cars alittle, and they seem to be much easier. The camaro guys do the opposite. They use the earlier PCM in their later model cars going from OBD2 > OBD1, and they can still flash their PCM. If you figure this out, PLEASE let me(us) know.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:51 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (ANTI VENOM)

You could post in the tuning section as well. Maybe it will catch the eye of someone who has done the research!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (MAF + MAP instead of just MAP) '92

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of updating to earlier PCM (MAF + MAP instead of just MAP) '92