C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Pre-Cat removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 12:43 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone removed the Pre-cats on their LT1 eqipped vette?!??! Did you still pass emissions.. did you notice any power improvment?!? what did you replace them with

Old 07-31-2001, 01:06 PM
69Myway
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have put a couple of LT-1 engines in other cars (36 Ford Coupe, trucks, etc). None of these applications needed a cat. So, I don't know your status of emission testing.

What I can tell you is the sound will be louder and you may pick up a few more RPM on the power band. The LT-1 with stock style mufflers or flow masters sounds wicked without cats. However, it is very loud at certain RPM levels.

I thought they did not have emission testing in Jax anymore?

Old 08-01-2001, 02:07 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

No emissions in jax, but im moving to Phoenix..

Anyone else remove the pre-cats?
Old 08-01-2001, 03:38 PM
traxx1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the great city of Phoenix, I just passed emissions in Phoenix on my 89 roadster L98 and have gutted pre cats in it and it passed pretty easy, recently they went from the im240 to a more severe test, but you will find that most of the people in the inspection stations know nothing about the corvette, they couldn't slide the mirrow under the car to see if there is a main cat (there is) and seem more concerned that the gas tank held pressure and the gas cap would hold pressure, I really don't think you have a lot to worry about.

traxx1
Old 08-01-2001, 04:46 PM
Dave's_88
Instructor

Although I have an L98, and do not have to have an emission test...

I removed the entire exhaust system (only kept the stock exhaust manifold/headers). I put a full flowmaster system with 1 performance cat. Without any other modifications I noticed a performance boost...not as sluggish.

-Dave
Old 08-01-2001, 05:02 PM
Larrym96815
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traxx1,

Is your main cat. still intact or is gutted and just there for appearance?

Larry

Old 08-01-2001, 05:09 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the method for gutting cats/pre-cats? My cat is new (about 1 year old) from Midas (I didn't do it!, the last guy did), so I wanna keep it on there, plus the Front Range of Colorado has pretty strict emissions tests (cleared 'em by a mile last month). The pre-cats are stock and I am sure that by opening them up I could get a bit of power. Is there a noticable increase in noise, etc? Please let me know how to do this. thanks, Bob

Old 08-02-2001, 11:50 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

All my cats are currently functioning.. It just seems a little redundant to have a main cat and two pre cats.. i suspect they work more like resonators then "cats" and control noise more than emissions!

Did you guys who removed it feel a noticeable gain?!?! is it worth the effort?
Old 08-03-2001, 04:30 PM
DON M
Drifting

Default Re: (BluByU)

I did this on my car (L98) and it made it slightly louder. New cat construction is more efficient. MAD or Ecklers list a Dynomax Y-pipe w/o pre-cats and matching cat that has CARB certification. I did'nt use it because I wanted the larger 2 1/2" pipe. I can't really say that I can feel a big diference (poorly calibrated butt). It certainly can't hurt it!
Here in VA they do IM-240 but the visual inspection is not hard to beat. Most guys don't have a clue.
Old 08-04-2001, 11:13 AM
Rynda
Racer

I had installed 1:6 rollers, computer chip, a pressure regulator (upped 5psi), and port matched the plenum and runners. Then my pre cats chuncked. I installed the MAD 2.5" stainless Y pipe. I definately noted a difference. I am convinced (by the seat of my pants) that they were a big help, but I also suspect that my pre-cat airflow was a little worse than usual. None the less I'm happy and it was cheaper than replacement.
Old 08-04-2001, 03:39 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I just gutted my cats this week and install the O2 Simms and the car has a lot more power!!!! :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Pre-Cat removal

Quick Reply: Pre-Cat removal