C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 03:43 PM
wantavette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn key and nothing
bump it and it starts, sys flashes on speedo
starter never drags
it has done this in the past, usually after sitting overnight so nothing is hot
is it my starter or maybe my key not making contact in the column and the alarm not letting it start

Old 07-21-2001, 05:33 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What do you mean "bump it"? If the SYS light flashes you need to pull the code.

Old 07-21-2001, 09:20 PM
wantavette
Instructor

by bumping, i mean keep turning the key to start it without turning it all the way back out of the on position
how do i find out the code w/o taking it to a shop
Old 07-22-2001, 01:26 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

At the base of the steering column under the carpet is a 2 pin connector which connects the contacts in your ign sw that connect to your pellet to the VATS module . When you can't get the starter motor to run, unplug the connector and measure the resistance of the wires going up the steering wheel column. It should measure the same as the pellet in your ign key. If it shows an open circuit, then you need a new ign sw which has new unworn out contacts for the pellet.
If it measures ok, then you could have an ign sw with worn starter contacts, or a defective VATS relay, or a defective starter solenoid, or a defective starter.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:34 AM
vibrant
6th Gear

I have the same problem. I just bought an 89 and am ordering the override kit from MID America. The part is about $30 with shiping. E mail your address to me and I will let you know if it works on mine.
tassetdesign@aol.com
Old 07-22-2001, 11:56 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

When you bypass your VATS, then any dumb crook can break a window, then bust out your column ign sw , jump it and it now owns your Vette. Yes yes yes, I know a smart crook can steal any car he wants, but 99% of the car crooks are dumber than cow plop and I know vette owners whose VATS allowed them to keep their car. Besides, you don't need to spend $30 for a 3 inch piece of wire to jump your start enable relay.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:52 PM
JIM FL
Advanced

I went to a key shop in Ft Worth and they told me what key code mine was so I could make up a vats by pass for emergency use. They also made me a new key with a better diode pellet design than the original. If I have to replace my ing cylinder I will use a key shop as they do it all the time and are proficient at it. Hope this helps. regards Jim L

Get notified of new replies

To wont start

Quick Reply: wont start