C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ABS "anti-lock" light is on, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 08:31 PM
Mika Renwall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! My anti-lock warning light started to glow and i was wondering if there is a way to diagnose the abs system likewise engine codes and FX3 suspension.
The warning light is off when i start my car, but when i get going it comes on
I have checked all fuses are ok. There is no modulator valve test humming sound anymore. I have fotocopied some parts of the -89 service manual book (haven´t bought it because it costs about 200$ here), but the brakes section is missing. What are the most likely points that i should check to get it fixed.
Mika
Old 07-22-2001, 10:28 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Good GM dealers have a wheel sensor tester which is most likely the cause of your ABS light. I measured the inductance and Q of my wheel sensors and one had a Q of about 1/2 the others. My mechanic had access to a GM wheel ABS tester and it indicated a defective wheel sensor. First check your wheel sensor star wheels for dirt and magnetic debris. If ok, find someone with an impedance bridge and measure the inductance and Q of each wheel sensor which should tell you if they are ok. Its been several years since I repaired my ABS, so I cannot tell you what my impedance bridge measurements were. Good Luck.
Old 07-22-2001, 11:15 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Mika, do a search on this subject. I recently typed in the procedure for pulling and diagnosing the codes. The simple answer is "yes", you can pull the codes from the ABS computer. If you can't find the discussion that has the information, I will gladly re-type it.

Old 07-23-2001, 04:35 AM
Mika Renwall
Advanced

Thank you kindly for the info so far. I´ll go and do some testing. And vettenuts, no i didn´t find your post concerning this issue, so i would appreciate if you e-mailed it to me or posted it here again. And one thing i did´n remember to mention was that my vette is a -89.
Thanks ! Mika
Old 07-23-2001, 07:31 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Here is the link: http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/Foru...ML/008786.html

I have the same problem but haven't tried to diagnose it yet. It is weird I don't get the light every day.

ToniH
Old 07-26-2001, 08:44 AM
Mika Renwall
Advanced

Thanks Toni and others, now i found the link and got the codes.
Greets, Mika
Old 07-26-2001, 08:50 AM
Shawn93PoloConv
Racer

Let us know what happens. I had the ABS light come on when I breaked heavily. In my case, the pads were done and I needed front brakes. After the brake job, no more lights.

Get notified of new replies

To ABS "anti-lock" light is on, need help

Quick Reply: ABS "anti-lock" light is on, need help