C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

superram or minnieram?????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 11:33 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror:
[B
Easy,
Stick=Miniram
Auto=Superram

[/B][/color]
Scorp = A Confused Soul Going with Superram [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2001, 11:54 PM
snaketr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have to say SR myself. I have driven cars close to my set up but with a mini ram and mine feels like it has more power. They have never run there car in the quarter so I have no real proof. However for everyone out there who says the SR doesnt like high rpm's, well my car shifts at 6200. Oh yea it has a stock bottom end and stock heads. The setup that I am running on the 86 righ now yields a 8.58 at 88 mph in the 1/8. The only weekends I have had the car at the track lately they have only run 1/8 mile so sorry no 1/4 mile times on it. Anyways what I am trying to say is you will be very happy with the SR.
Old 08-01-2001, 12:06 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

[B
Easy,
Stick=Miniram
Auto=Superram

[/B][/color]
Hmm..TPIS said to me the automatic kicks azz with it, IF you have at least 2800 stall and 3.73's. etc.

Makes sense to me..look what the red crew guys ran in their times with stock LT1 engine,automatic, converter and 3.73 gears.
(I admit theyre pros too..that explains alot why they race so damn good)

The miniram is similiar to the LT1 intake design due to the very short runners.However, a person with good manual shifting experience can possibly take more advantage of the miniram's higher rpm power on the street and highway for everyday driving/street racing/passing etc eh?
( I say this because ive been in many different vettes and on the street, shifting manually with real skill can really PIN you back in the seat better then an auto and really fly fast.)
Then again what do I know? im no pro either.

I do vote for the true and tried SR set up for cars that are not just track cars but are driven all the time.
Been hearing things the mini ram has some air distribution problems to the front and rear intake ports.True anyone? I wonder why I see so many for sale from time to time..almost feels/seems like its a PITA to get it to run right.

Im a low/mid speed torque man...enough said!
[img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2001, 06:57 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

given everything equal the mini ram will give you more peak power, SR a flater hp curve and more ft-lb which is good for a auto. with a stick you want a little less ft lb at the bottom(you need to keep those tires under you) ask scorp it's very hard to launch. A stick can take advantage of the peaky power while an 700R4 drops alot of Rs in the 1-2 shift and needs a better avg over the range.

Long story made short either will do the mini ram is installed much easier.

Hello, don't believe what everyone tells you TPIS is selling thier products of course they will tell you in is good for any car.

I shift my SR @ 6200 and run the 1/8 in 7.7 @ 88 but a mini ram will spin above 7000

If you want a fast set up either will do you want the fastest set up than that's a different story

Old 08-01-2001, 09:41 AM
nickd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkRose94
How many of you are happy with the mini-ram and have had any problems installing or any problems at all? Does the same injectors fit, wire harness, sensiors, throttle and cruise cables fit the same too? [/color]
I have helped my friend & fellow forum member Jeff pull/install the miniram on his 89 countless times.
The nice thing about the MiniRam, other than it's ability able to pull further up the rpm band, it is all one piece.
When you remove/install it, the base, plenum, TB, injectors, fuel rails, everything is one piece.
If you plan on doing a cam, this intake is the way to go IMO.
If I would have kept my Camaro this intake would be on it right now.

Old 08-01-2001, 09:50 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

[B
....(you need to keep those tires under you) ask scorp it's very hard to launch. [/B][/color]
Yes. I'm going to need some seriously sticky tires at the track. On the street I will just start in 2nd. [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2001, 10:21 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I Love my miniram...

I even have it on a 355.. I cannot say for sure if there was a torque lose compared to the LTR. I sold my LTR set-up built a new motor and there was a 6 month gap before driving the car again..

I think if you pick you parts wisely to match with the set-up you might be surprised

Old 08-01-2001, 12:06 PM
miker61588
Pro

i prefer the superram
Old 08-02-2001, 02:39 PM
Warlock
Pro

Originally Posted by scorp508:
[B
Scorp = A Confused Soul Going with Superram [/B][/color]
Add me to the confused soul list.
If you have excel, you may want to check out ftp]//phasei.com/sr_vs_mr.xls
thats with a 383. If you are going to be spinning significantly over 6000 and smog legal doesn't matter, go minram. I'm not.

Old 08-02-2001, 02:43 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Warlock:
[B
If you have excel, you may want to check out ftp]//phasei.com/sr_vs_mr.xls
[/B][/color]

Interesting.... I won't be spending lots of time in 6000+ territory, only to shift. Smog legal is a big YES here in MA, but I can't decide if I'm going to bother trying. My car passed so damn cleanly 3 weeks ago, and emissions won't get checked for another 2 years now anyways.

Quick Reply: superram or minnieram?????????