C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

help with 86 LCD unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 11:04 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfb
The 194LL is not the correct lamp for the cluster. The lamps are 882's.
The 882 lamp has two straight pins that go into a socket and the 194 uses a flattened wire loop that would have to be straightened away from the body of the lamp in order to attempt to plug them into the socket. Also, the 194 wire leads are not very stiff and it would be difficult to insert both wires into the socket, not to mention that the socket's springy contacts will not be spread and you will not have a reliable connection to the socket. The 194's are lower power lamps and won't hurt the cluster dimmer circuit. If they work and you don't mind that they can't get as bright, then you should be ok.

PS. If you do touch the 882 lamp installing them, just wipe them with a Q tip and alcohol to remove your skin oil.
Had this in my email box. Seems the 194 WILL work.
YMMV,
Rain

Tell "jfb" ...I'm using all 194's on my cluster and have been now for over 2 years.....a lot less heat & plently of light, day or night.....3/8" soft plastic tubing fits snuggly over the bulb for easy installation.... just slide in & turn the tubing...

Quick Reply: help with 86 LCD unit