C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel pressure regulators!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Corvettaholic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure regulators!

Hey all, I have an 85 and I want to put in a new fuel pressure regulator, along with the set of 22# fuel injectors from five-o-motorsports. I can probably figure out injectors just fine, pretty much put it back together the way I took it apart, right? Anything special I should watch out for when replacing fuel injectors, like maybe get new gaskets when I take off all the intake stuff?

About the fuel pressure regulator, what all is involved when replacing that? Do I need gaskets or can I reuse my existing one? What if I get an adjustable one (plan on doing serious mods when my money tree finishes growing)? I looked at the corvette mall and an adjustable one with gaskets costs a crapload more! Why? Do I need those gaskets or are all the goodies I need already in place?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-22-2004, 04:05 PM
bmalec
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 31 Posts

Replacing the injectors is pretty straightforward. Don't forget to put some oil on the fuel injector o-rings when you're putting everything back together! As for gaskets, I bought a Fel-Pro set from AutoZone which included the throttle body-to-plenum gasket as well as upper and lower runner gaskets.

It's easy to change the fuel pressure regulator once the plenum is off, I bought this http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=3.789 because I didn't have a fuel pressure gauge. With that kit you reuse your current fuel pressure diaphram. Shouldn't need any other gaskets for the fuel pressure regulator.

Good luck!

Ben
Old 11-22-2004, 04:33 PM
87 rag
Drifting

I just changed my fuel pressure regulator to an adjustable one.
Pretty simple but I think you'll need a fuel pressure guage.
I haven't done my injectors, I thought they would be the harder of the two jobs.
Everything looks pretty straight forward as long as you remember how to put it all back together.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:38 PM
VetNutJim
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

It's a lot like working on computers...
It is idiot proof.
You CAN'T get it back together wrong.
Have FUN!!!

PS: You "may" want to do a trial assembly and MAKE SURE the screw on top of your AFPR isn't going to bottom out against the bottom of your plenum.

Mine did and I had to go to Home Depot and get another, shorter adjusting bolt so I could adjust the thing all the way out.

Adjusting in = more fuel pressure... if I remember right.

Btw, Adjusting your fuel pressure isn't going to be something you'll do a lot of.
It's more like a "set it and forget it" type of thing.

Chip tuning IS where the REAL FUN lies with these things.
Start looking into getting into that. Read..a LOT!!! then start buying your stuff to do it with along while you READ... a LOT!!! some more.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:07 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Go with the Holley reg. It comes with a new diaphram and a simple wheel to adjust pressure. It is also nice looking. I put mine on the buffer and it looks like chrome. I also have the Five O injectors, painted black of course.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

I have to agree with the "Agent" on that Holley AFPR as is first class in looks and performance. My first AFPR was an Accel unit which is a POS! BTW, I have a Word document describing how to remove the injectors "without" pulling the runners. This makes the injector replacement project much easier. If you are interested in this document, shoot me a note!
SAM
Old 11-24-2004, 10:25 PM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Go with the Holley reg. It comes with a new diaphram and a simple wheel to adjust pressure. It is also nice looking. I put mine on the buffer and it looks like chrome. I also have the Five O injectors, painted black of course.

Holley regulator is the easiest to adjust and it comes complete

Get notified of new replies

To fuel pressure regulators!

Quick Reply: fuel pressure regulators!