C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

new with question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 01:24 PM
information junkie
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new with question

first off i have been coming here for a few months now but i have just registered. I bought my first corvette in august its an 85 with a 95 body kit. from what i have been able to tell it is mostly stock, with only the body kit and aftermarket alarm done to it. it has just over 90k miles on it and is in good shape, paint needs a good cleaning and wax job and the interion only needs a good cleaning(dirty carpet) but that is easy to do.

now for some questions i have. hopefully someone will be able to help me.
1. the transmission has some problems that showed up after i put about 1500 miles on it. first it would downshift out of od and not into any gear. all it would do is rev up and after 30 seconds it would settle into 3rd. now it wont shift, all i have now is rev and 1st. I think it might be the gov but would like any ideas you have.
2. the ignition seems to be moving all over. sometimes the car will lose almost all power and act like the timing backed way off, while other times it will start to ping on premium fuel. sometimes it runs fine but most of the time it has this problem. it gets worse the more throttle i give it but goes away when i let off. ive never even made it to 3/4 throttle since this has started. could this be the knock sensor?

if any of you could help me with this i would apreaciate it. I do have a manual on it way, hopefully that will be a help to me.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:10 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

1.) The trans is shot. Time for an overhaul.

2.) Too much variation for the knock sensor. You could disconnect the knock sensor as a test. Check for slop in the timing chain and the distributor gear and/or distributor shaft end play.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-25-2004, 03:15 PM
greenvette95
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03

Have you checked the trans fluid? is it nice and red or is it dark red and smell burned? if it's the last 2 change fluid have bands adjusted, if you can. If not, like other CF member said time for the big O good luck.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:17 PM
information junkie
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help CFI-EFI.
anyone know of a good trans shop in utah(ut or slc county)
Old 11-25-2004, 05:59 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check with Sspackman. He's in Orem. I don't know if he's had trans work done, or not.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To new with question

Quick Reply: new with question