C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Serious Investors only 1992 ZR-1 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:39 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Rob
Well, technically he is right - the LT5 is a hemispherical head motor.
A hemispherical head has a combustion chamber that looks like half of a sphere resulting in the valves being unshrouded for best flow and there are no squish zones. The great flow characteristics give great HP/performance but a sphere has the highest ratio of combustion chamber surface area to cylinder bore diameter...this makes it thermodynamically inefficient resulting in poor BSFC numbers. A hemispherical combustion chamber also has poor detonation resistance (a flat head design is the only combustion chamber that is worse) due to the large combustion chamber volume and no squish zones.

The LT5 head is a pent roof (or cloverleaf) design with very low surface area to cylinder bore ratio and a perimeter squish zone making for a very efficient design with excellent resistance to knock.

PS The new "Hemi" engines from Chrysler actually are not hemispherical heads either as the combustion chamber has "squish" zones...they do have the valves across from each other, but that is the only thing they have in common with the old (real) Hemis and the valve placement does not define the type of the combustion chamber.

Last edited by glass slipper; 12-08-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:49 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Great discription, but I guess "semi-hemi" or "sorta hemi" just doesn't convey the right zing! On a somewhat different note (and I'm guilty of this) it's kinda funny all the posts lamenting the ridiculously low prices of vettes, and when someone actually asks the price for one that we wish and believe they should be, we make fun of him.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Sihler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that we all know that if, and when, prices do start going up on z's, they won't just double overnight-though that would be great for us owners.

Oh thanks for the description of the Hemi, I just realized how very little I know and understand about cars.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:12 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I dont understand all the bashing of this guy
Does it make people feel morally superior
I believe this thread is what gives Corvette people a bad image Not that guy
I hope he gets it and more

"We have met the enemy and it is us"
Old 12-08-2007, 11:51 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Education and reality are both wonderful things.

When some "expert" states that the car " will now appreciate $ 5,000.00 to $10,000.00 per year, with no basis in fact, they require either enlightenment if they are open-minded, or help if they remain steadfast in their poorly thought-out belief.

When ZR-1 owners fail to take them to task, they help perpetuate the myth that we are all elitist boneheads, that think our cars superior to all others, and that the cars themselves somehow transcend established market values.

There are a number of ZR-1's that are indeed worth 41k or more, however that combination of year, condition and mileage is not one of them as of December 2007. To say that it is so, when it is not, is simply foolish.

To subscribe to a belief that the same car will be worth 51k in two years is also a flight of fancy.

To state this truth makes no one superior, it simply states facts.

I have no problem being known as a factual Corvette owner, who has no misconceptions about what his car is worth in today's marketplace.

Th ZR-1 owners on this forum know this better than most, and simply find it silly that someone would be so far away from reality, even though we wish our cars were going to increase in value like that.

My advice to the seller would simply be as follows:

If one person tells you that you are dead, then ignore him. If twenty tell you the same thing, then you should perhaps lie down.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:18 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

That or change your underware!

Quick Reply: Serious Investors only 1992 ZR-1 for sale