C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Interesting idea from the Canadian section.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Interesting idea from the Canadian section.

When I'am up late at night I start to get some wacky ideas, but here's one I'll put on the table.
Since joining the Corvette Forum last year, I have read numerous threads about high gas prices. There seems to be a lot of frustration and anger over the way the gas companies are just giving it to us without even saying goodbye in the morning.
I think it's time for us to either step up or shut up once and for all.

Here's my proposal:
We have hundreds of Vette owners and club members and the same could be said about the other car forums and clubs.
Let's pick a month in the summer and boycott one of the major gas companies for the entire month selected.
This would apply to our precious toys and our daily drivers.
We could spread the word to as many forums and car / bike clubs as possible. Plus all of our family members,friends and coworkers. As you can see we have the power to reach out to numerous people.

But here is the icing on the cake. Let's pick a Sunday afternoon, and have everyone gather at a central point and drive down Yonge Street two a breast. We would then stop in between Queen and Dundas or Gerrard, depending on the turn out, and have the largest show and shine this city has ever seen.

The intent here is to highlight the fact that we are fed up with the random gas increases. This would at least generate some news coverage, and if nothing comes out of it at least we can finally say we tried to make a difference.

I would also call out to any lawyers that would be willing to represent us, in the event charges are laid !!!!!!!!!!!!
I know this idea is ballsy, but the last time I checked we have two.

Roll call with thoughts and further ideas.

Thanks for listening.

Michael
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

That idea has been around for several years and I've read (can't remember where) that it has never made a difference. I bet even if we could get it organized and draw attention, the oil companies would just laugh at us.
BTW, you said you joined the Forum last year but your profile shows you joined in 2003????
Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-71
That idea has been around for several years and I've read (can't remember where) that it has never made a difference. I bet even if we could get it organized and draw attention, the oil companies would just laugh at us.
Concur it would be a complete waste of time.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:44 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Concur it would be a complete waste of time.
It will do nothing to cause even a blip in any one company's profits, therefore it will go unnoticed.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZR-71
BTW, you said you joined the Forum last year but your profile shows you joined in 2003????

I didn't write it...it was written by Michael from the Canadian Section, I was simply passing it on.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would depend on how big the movement got...I'm sure the Tea Party Movement is having no political affect on Govt. now is it? Hmmm.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
F.G.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think that if it was a big enough movement, like nation wide, it could make an impact. The problem is that most people are too self centered to do this. People these days are way too busy and most would not be willing to give up a months worth of gas. I think it is a good idea, but the trick is to actually get a good amount of people to do this.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 649 Likes on 423 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by F.G.
I think that if it was a big enough movement, like nation wide, it could make an impact. The problem is that most people are too self centered to do this. People these days are way too busy and most would not be willing to give up a months worth of gas.
You arent going a month without gas,just shopping at a different station.People say this wont make a difference but if enough people did this it would send a message.People are finely getting fed up with all the crap.But it is true,most are too caught up in them selves to do anything for a change.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
You arent going a month without gas,just shopping at a different station.People say this wont make a difference but if enough people did this it would send a message.People are finely getting fed up with all the crap.But it is true,most are too caught up in them selves to do anything for a change.
Correct
Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those that run the oil companies would laugh so hard they would chit themselves. Then just to show everybody who's in charge, they would raise prices some more.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

If people really wanted to make a difference, they need to do more than just complain or boycott one gas company. You have to make a change in your surroundings and lifestyle if you want to make an impact. I'm all electric and my last electric bill was $16.65 which included a $4.50 base charge. I got my ex-fiance's bill from $225-$250 down to $75. But most people aren't willing to change anything and continue to complain and pay $$$. My brother keeps 4 computers running 24/7 because he doesn't want to wait the 30 seconds it takes for one to boot up.

I think after I retire, I'll be a Consulting Efficiency Engineer just for fun.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:24 AM
F.G.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah gotcha
Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

I think if we could get lets say half of the corvette forum members and 5 friends then they get 5 ect. to pick a brand of fuel and not buy it for 1 month then go to another brand for another month.... this could result in a big impact on the fuel companies for their quarter. This is a good idea but the problem is numbers and as ALWAYS the people that dont do anything are the first to bitch. Myself, it wouldn't be an issue for me 1 little bit to avoid a certain brand for a month or even 2. My $100.00 fillup once a week for my truck and my wifes 70.00 fill up once a week will certainly make a difference if I can get another 5-10 people to join in and they get 5-10 ect. With the cost of fuel making record profits for the oil companies and people just paying them without question .. it is time to do something.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:16 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Andd.... Can you guys imagine if this went country wide in Canada and the U.S? We do have the numbers its just getting everyone to participate and pass the word and honestly whats the big deal ... dont buy brand x fuel for 30 days.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
A1990
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The one problem I see with this is that before you did anything to hurt any of the major gas companies, you would be hurting the local guy that runs the neighborhood gas station. These are local operators, people you socialize with, go to church with, etc.

These people will feel the effects first. They will be sitting with tanks of gas they bought from their suppliers with no revenue. Those are the same people in your town or city that buy products and services from you.

If you want to make a difference, do as Glass Slipper has suggested, make a change in how you live: drive less, eat out less, use less electricity, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting idea from the Canadian section.

Quick Reply: Interesting idea from the Canadian section.