Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 ZR-1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z?

Notices
C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z?

Old 11-19-2018, 09:41 PM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z?

curious if this is happening or are people still able to pass. is there an age where the vehicles are grandfathered?

VT
Old 11-19-2018, 10:48 PM
Crabs
CF Senior Member

Nope.
Not yet, anyway.
But it's getting closer and closer every year.
My '90 has a Haibec Chip and a Flowmaster exhaust, other than that she's stock and she passes without problems, so far............
Damn, just jinxed myself.

TomC
Old 11-19-2018, 10:52 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

There have been countless discussions on this subject both here and over on the ZR1.net forum. This one about sums it up. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eeds-cats.html

California has actually made emissions requirements tougher now than when the car was new. It’s part of their active campaign to remove older cars from the road. There is no getting around it in California. That said with some tweaking a stock Z can generally be made to pass (Bearly) Do some searches on the forums and you’ll find some ideas.
H
Old 11-22-2018, 01:13 PM
zrc3john
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ccmano View Post
There have been countless discussions on this subject both here and over on the ZR1.net forum. This one about sums it up. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...eeds-cats.html

California has actually made emissions requirements tougher now than when the car was new. Itís part of their active campaign to remove older cars from the road. There is no getting around it in California. That said with some tweaking a stock Z can generally be made to pass (Bearly) Do some searches on the forums and youíll find some ideas.
H
How about a fully ported cammed LT-5? Would that pass.....??
Old 11-22-2018, 01:49 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zrc3john View Post
How about a fully ported cammed LT-5? Would that pass.....??
If cammed probably not. Itís the NOx that is the issue. The NOx threshold has actually been reduced. They also do a visual inspection and it must have all the original emissions equipment including air injection, exhaust manifolds and cats. If your ported and cammed likely you have headers too. Thatís not to say someone somewhere in CA hasnít finagled that somehow.
H
Old 11-22-2018, 02:20 PM
zrc3john
CF Senior Member

If cammed probably not. Itís the NOx that is the issue. The NOx threshold has actually been reduced. They also do a visual inspection and it must have all the original emissions equipment including air injection, exhaust manifolds and cats. If your ported and cammed likely you have headers too. Thatís not to say someone somewhere in CA hasnít finagled that somehow.
H
Not a good place to own a Z I would imagine..400 HP is laughable today...
Old 11-22-2018, 02:32 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zrc3john View Post
Not a good place to own a Z I would imagine..400 HP is laughable today...
Not sure I would go that far. Not everyone owns a Z to have the fastest car around. We are dealing with 1980/90ís technology after all. It does make it frustrating for CA owners. CA is a frustrating place on many levels.
H
Old 11-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member

Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.

If Ca drops the MAX levels on the Nox reading Iím done but wonít go away quietly. Iíll look into a class action lawsuit against the State and see how that goes.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:20 PM
zrc3john
CF Senior Member

Not sure I would go that far. Not everyone owns a Z to have the fastest car around. We are dealing with 1980/90ís technology after all. It does make it frustrating for CA owners. CA is a frustrating place on many levels.
H
Yeah but look at the weather you guys get...I mean its perfect almost everyday....Being a corvette owner for many many years I do understand its not about HP all the time...Thing about the Z though is that other vettes that were produced after it were more powerful and better all around ( Z06) and cost less it seemed....Even the C6Z cost 72-78K new...A 95 ZR-1 was in the area of 70-75K new....By that time though the Z's popularity was on the steep decline so maybe some buyers got some good deals from the showroom..

Today they are making excellent cars for the money....The car does respond well to mods..Porting,cams, exhaust do wonders for the LT-5...
Old 11-22-2018, 07:06 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

I’m in Northern Nevada now, I try not to spend too much time in CA if I can help it. If you live in CA long enough like I did you realize the weather isn’t everything. As for the cars it’s like everything else, there is always a bigger, faster, better one.
H
Old 11-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member

Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.

Iím in Northern Nevada now, I try not to spend too much time in CA if I can help it. If you live in CA long enough like I did you realize the weather isnít everything. As for the cars itís like everything else, there is always a bigger, faster, better one.
H
All the other crap far offsets the nice weather in California.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 AM
81c3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post

All the other crap far offsets the nice weather in California.
I lived in California for 1 year when I was younger.... that was enough to satisfy my curiosity. Went back once to take the family to Disney Land which sucked in comparison to Disney World... Then again to see my son graduate from basic training Marine Corps in San Diego....Ill probably never go back.

I heard/read something very disturbing for my state of Colorado.... we are now adopting California's emission standard for new cars in 2020.... The slippery slope begins...Dont know how that will effect older cars yet.... damn eco-*****... I am yet to understand how any other state would adopt anything from a state that is an economic and social failure....but I guess thats the new way of thinking these days....
Old 11-28-2018, 11:56 PM
Corvettes White
CF Senior Member

California is the 5th largest economy in the world. Up from 12 or 13 a few years ago. That said, if those in office ever had to work for a living and not just talk, it would be the 3rd largest because the middle class would still have jobs.
George
Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 AM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,075 Times in 987 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Cost of living, traffic and crime-not worth it anymore.
x2 on getting real real hard to pass any 80-s 90s car anymore.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Crabs
CF Senior Member

Wish me luck guys, just got the notice from the DMV, gotta get a smog.
*fingers crossed*

'Crabs
Old 12-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
Wish me luck guys, just got the notice from the DMV, gotta get a smog.
*fingers crossed*

'Crabs
I wish you Lots of Luck
Old 12-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Crabs
CF Senior Member

Passed!!!
#'s not all that bad, the HC and the NO are getting closer, but still passed with flying colors.

Yay!!

'Crabs
Old 12-08-2018, 04:21 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Passed!!!
#'s not all that bad, the HC and the NO are getting closer, but still passed with flying colors.

Yay!!

'Crabs

Either your SMOG check guy is "special" or your Z is "special"

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-08-2018 at 04:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dynomite For This Useful Post:
Crabs (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Crabs
CF Senior Member

I didn't do anything special prior to the smog other than a 20 minute spirited drive around the, shall we say, less "Patrolled" roads in my general area.
She was good and hot when I pulled into the smog shop. :-)
The technician did come into the waiting room and complimented my Z, other than that nothing funny going on there.
I did leave her in low power mode and removed the key.
The oil in her is about 3 years old, and I've never used sea-foam or any other "Emissions Enhancement" products in her.
And I had just filled her tank a couple of weeks ago with Chevron Supreme (that's all I ever put in her, no discount gas ever).

'Crabs
Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

I didn't do anything special prior to the smog other than a 20 minute spirited drive around the, shall we say, less "Patrolled" roads in my general area.
She was good and hot when I pulled into the smog shop. :-)
The technician did come into the waiting room and complimented my Z, other than that nothing funny going on there.
I did leave her in low power mode and removed the key.
The oil in her is about 3 years old, and I've never used sea-foam or any other "Emissions Enhancement" products in her.
And I had just filled her tank a couple of weeks ago with Chevron Supreme (that's all I ever put in her, no discount gas ever).

'Crabs
Congrats, glad it worked out for you. You can relax for 2 more years. Is the car modded in any way?
H

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: