C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Oil Pan Gasket R&R

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 02:27 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Oil Pan Gasket R&R

Replacing the oil pan gasket requires some patience.....

While the pan removal was straight forward, removing all the shields and brackets from the oil pan bolt/studs was a major PIA.

Here's the "insides"..

Old 12-16-2018, 09:11 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

If they sit they leak. I am doing gaskets now cork which after ten years look pathetic This is on my 77, my 93 has no leaks but no mileage either. What are you using for gasket material on your 92? Are you gluing the pan with adhesive and what type?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:09 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

While you’re under there, take a look at your exhaust manifold bolts. I am looking at the oil pan bolts today and found an unwelcomed surprise. Is it common for these to loosen as well? The bottom corner manifold flange bolt closest to the firewall on the driver side is gone.

Anyone know now what size bolt goes there?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
While you’re under there, take a look at your exhaust manifold bolts. I am looking at the oil pan bolts today and found an unwelcomed surprise. Is it common for these to loosen as well? The bottom corner manifold flange bolt closest to the firewall on the driver side is gone.

Anyone know now what size bolt goes there?

Oil pan hardware LT5 is considered 'maintenance' - not an unexpected situation. Exhaust manifold/converter to cylinder head 'missing' - missing is doubtful - I doubt any 100% populated unless added my an owner..Bolts and a spacer for some locations.The location you mention I believe is generally expected to be populated. Jerrys Gaskets has a 'FREE' bolt reference download that you can fetch. There's several links to the same chart/information throughout the ZR-1 section. I'd say research will educate you.

Did you ever replace the bolts at your hub/bearing spindle with 'flange head' hardware?

This link will get you some info!!

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/bolt-ex...old-90-95-1d2/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-16-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:45 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Oil pan hardware LT5 is considered 'maintenance' - not an unexpected situation. Exhaust manifold/converter to cylinder head 'missing' - missing is doubtful - I doubt any 100% populated unless added my an owner..Bolts and a spacer for some locations.The location you mention I believe is generally expected to be populated. Jerrys Gaskets has a 'FREE' bolt reference download that you can fetch. There's several links to the same chart/information throughout the ZR-1 section. I'd say research will educate you.

Agreed, exhaust manifold bolts don’t generally come loose. For some strange reason the factory elected not to put them all in on all the engines. This fact has been well documented. As for the oil pan, tightening the pan bolts seems to be a right of passage for new owners. Like injector replacement, all part of the challenge and fun of Z ownership.
H
Old 12-16-2018, 11:53 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Did you ever replace the bolts at your hub/bearing spindle with 'flange head' hardware?

Thanks, WV. The local hardware store only had four grade 10 flange head bolts. I went ahead and bought them while they order more. I ended up using grade 10 hex heads with stainless washers. I'll be replacing with the flange heads one I have the full "set".
Old 12-16-2018, 12:27 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Thanks, WV. The local hardware store only had four grade 10 flange head bolts. I went ahead and bought them while they order more. I ended up using grade 10 hex heads with stainless washers. I'll be replacing with the flange heads one I have the full "set".
The bolts I'd think are M10x1.5 but I'm not sure what length you would use. The F-body I'm quite sure were 50mm long and maybe 30mm thread. I'm sure they're 10.9. What length did you actually need/use?
Old 12-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fake
If they sit they leak. I am doing gaskets now cork which after ten years look pathetic This is on my 77, my 93 has no leaks but no mileage either. What are you using for gasket material on your 92? Are you gluing the pan with adhesive and what type?
One piece gasket and pickup o-ring from Jerrys Gaskets, Different material from the original. Fit is perfect. No glue.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:35 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

The bolts I'd think are M10x1.5 but I'm not sure what length you would use. The F-body I'm quite sure were 50mm long and maybe 30mm thread. I'm sure they're 10.9. What length did you actually need/use?
Yep, you're right it's 10.9. I double checked the bolts I have and they are 10.9. They are same length as the original Vette shouldered bolts that held the old hubs on.

Subfixer, I see the dreaded passenger side O2 bracket in your pictures and actually see a second bracket for the driver side? My 91 had that torture piece only on the passenger side.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Subfixer, I see the dreaded passenger side O2 bracket in your pictures and actually see a second bracket for the driver side? My 91 had that torture piece only on the passenger side.
They call those brackets "wiring harness heat shields". The driver's side was the killer to reinstall. There's a small 10mm head bolt that goes into the side of the block at the top of the bracket, along with another bracket that holds a braided steel hose. Getting that stuff lined up by "feel" only took forever. I quit trying after 1 1/2 hours Saturday. Another half hour Sunday, with multiple tools, I finally got the bolt in. After that, all other reassembly was a piece of cake.
Hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon......
Old 12-17-2018, 08:18 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Subfixer
They call those brackets "wiring harness heat shields". The driver's side was the killer to reinstall. There's a small 10mm head bolt that goes into the side of the block at the top of the bracket, along with another bracket that holds a braided steel hose. Getting that stuff lined up by "feel" only took forever. I quit trying after 1 1/2 hours Saturday. Another half hour Sunday, with multiple tools, I finally got the bolt in. After that, all other reassembly was a piece of cake.
Hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon......
Sounds like a good location to replace the bolt with a stud (loctite) & nut.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:18 AM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by A26B
Sounds like a good location to replace the bolt with a stud (loctite) & nut.
If I ever have to go back in there, that's a good suggestion. The Pass side shield has a stud and nut at the top........

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Gasket R&R

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket R&R