C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Sledge Hammer,Callaway And John Lingenfelter

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:15 AM
SomeGuy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One last time, it was a Callaway engine in the Sledgehammer:

Originally Posted by NORM KOERNER
OKAY RECENTLY THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME CONFUSION ON HISTORY FACTS...............PLEASE PERMITT ME TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT FOR THOSE WITH MEMORY LOSS AND OR ALTZHIEMER DISEASE..REEVES CALLAWAY CONTRACTED WITH THE LENGEDARY JOHN LINGENELTER TO BUILD THE SLEDGEHAMMER ENGINE WHICH JOHN DID.WHEN JOHN DELIVERED THE CAR TO REEVES TO DRIVE,REEVES WAS SICK WITH A FLU BUG,REEVES AT THAT TIME ASKED JOHN LINGENFELTER IF HE WOULD DRIVE THE CAR.JOHN DID AND RAN IT TO 254 MPH.REEVES CALLAWAY BUILDS SOME OF THE MOST STYLISH CORVETTES ON THE PLANET.LINGENFELTER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING BUILDS SOME OF THE FASTEST CORVETTES ON THE PLANET!IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE ANYONE NEEDS TO KNOW?

Please cite your source(s). That is an incomplete picture of the story.

From the last time the Sledgehammer was discussed (and locked as some just couldn't get it) http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1817644

Posted by MCV who is Mike Vendetto at Callaway Cars. Mike not only has worked for Callaway Cars two different times, he also knew John Lingenfelter and was/is aware of the contributions that each party made.

Originally Posted by MCV
The above is 100% accurate (254.76 mph). The engine in the car for this session was supplied by Callaway.

I've never seen a direct quote from John claiming that he built the engine that was in the car when it ran the 254. Several of us here at Callaway knew John personally. He was no liar.

Pointing this out is absolutely not intended to cast any dispersions on LPE's capabilities. They have built and continue to build very powerful engines.
Originally Posted by MCV
I remember reading these articles in the eighties. I was working for Accel at the time (1981-'93) and I introduced Accel's "Lingenfelter Signature Series" of intake manifolds and camshafts together. I was purchasing engineering time, manifolds, cams, etc. from John. I actually didn't meet Reeves until later when I went to work for Callaway's engineering department from 1993 to 1994. Before ultimately returning to Callaway, I worked for Moroso for 6 years and kept in touch with John as we attended the same industry events and I worked the NHRA racing circuit. LPE was also a good Moroso customer. I know Jeff Smith, who wrote the April '89 Hot Rod article shown in this thread. I've met Csaba, but I can't say I know him personally like I know Jeff. I have the highest regard for all of these folks so I don't know why there would be conflicting info.

I never asked John about this; at the time, I assumed the articles were accurate so it just never came up. I can only report what Reeves and others who were at Callaway at the time have told us when these threads came up a while ago. (I'm absolutely certain Reeves wouldn't be inaccurate about John's participation.) Again, it's no reflection on John or LPE's ability to build engines. LPE's record speaks for itself. However, the two LPE engines prepared for the record failed on the dyno and a Callaway-built backup engine was used for the trip to Ohio and the record run. I don't know the circumstances of the failures; but my guess would be an unforeseen component failure rather than any problems with machining or assembly.

It has been said many times over that it was a Callaway engine in the Sledgehammer for that record run, not an LPE supplied engine. Someguys chose to acept this and move on. Others keep pushing the buttons.

John Lingenfelter drove the car to a record speed. He was credited for that awesome accomplishment

Please add the above to your facts to better show what actually went down.

Last edited by SomeGuy; 11-03-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:09 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
There is a lot of stuff in the C5 FI section that shouldn't be...but I suspect that this is carry over from my thread that got locked because of the panty waste arguements.

The reason that I posted it on a different thread because I was comparing the work to what it took to make a kit(s) for the C5 and C6 to produce similar results (hp wise)...found it interesting.

Never intended for it to become an discussion between who drove the car or not....didn't really give a crap about that!
I agree with you "who gives a crap"!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:49 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey "All Caps Norm" - how ya doing buddy? Your new Z06 seems to be kicking some serious ***! Tom tells me you're aiming to put the hurt on the Viper from Hennessey!! Good Job buddy! How's the TT ZR-1 doing? I think your title as king ZR-1 should come down!!! I have some plans!

Keep up the good times! Hope to see you sometime again in Decatur.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Blocktrdr
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

HI NORM HOW ARE YOU. CAN YOU TELL ME WHO SHOT JFK? THANKS.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Hawkdriver
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NORM KOERNER
LINGENFELTER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING BUILDS SOME OF THE FASTEST CORVETTES ON THE PLANET!IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE ANYONE NEEDS TO KNOW?
Don't have that A word or memory loss, just bored. My question is does a fly land on the ceiling with a barrel roll or a flip turn?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:53 PM
gary buchanan
Racer

Originally Posted by Hawkdriver
Don't have that A word or memory loss, just bored. My question is does a fly land on the ceiling with a barrel roll or a flip turn?
damn thats a good one
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM
american18us
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hawkdriver
depends on the level of experience of the fly. A beginner will fly upside down for a time before landing, a novice will barrell roll, an expert will flip turn, and the SUPER ADVANCED FLY doesn't land on the ceiling he rides shotgun in a VETTE!

....hows that for random meets random.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM
NORM KOERNER
Racer

Originally Posted by american18us
depends on the level of experience of the fly. A beginner will fly upside down for a time before landing, a novice will barrell roll, an expert will flip turn, and the SUPER ADVANCED FLY doesn't land on the ceiling he rides shotgun in a VETTE!

....hows that for random meets random.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!YES AND A MAGOTT WILL HATCH ANYWHERE...........

Last edited by NORM KOERNER; 11-05-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Blocktrdr

funny thing is he has been told many times and he still is arogaint (?)
enough to keep doing it.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Why do people bust his ballz about caps *everytime* he posts? Get over it already.. Good grief..
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 PM
chemist728
3rd Gear

Default Callaway vs Lingenfelter Supercharger for 2007 C6

I have a 2007 atomic orange c6 with ebony/tan interior, LT3. If I wanted to invest 25-40K would it be best to use Lingenfelter in Indiana or Callaway (Lyme Conn) to modify my vette. I prefer a supercharger unit to a turbo and would like to modify the body to more of a z06 look and with z06 rear tires. Service is also important to me.
Thanks Stan from Rockaway NJ
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Swing over to ECS and save yourself $15-30K.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 AM
superstockdeuce
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chemist728
I have a 2007 atomic orange c6 with ebony/tan interior, LT3. If I wanted to invest 25-40K would it be best to use Lingenfelter in Indiana or Callaway (Lyme Conn) to modify my vette. I prefer a supercharger unit to a turbo and would like to modify the body to more of a z06 look and with z06 rear tires. Service is also important to me.
Thanks Stan from Rockaway NJ

Hi Stan,

Thank you for considering Lingenfelter. We would be glad to discuss what we can offer you if you would like to give us a call. Or leave us your number to call you, and you can get a feel to see if our products are the right fit for you. We have several options we can offer to suit your needs.

You can give several vendors a call or visit to compare the apples. Best of luck with your decision!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:41 AM
z06cab
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jeff@Lingenfelter
Hi Stan,

Thank you for considering Lingenfelter. We would be glad to discuss what we can offer you if you would like to give us a call. Or leave us your number to call you, and you can get a feel to see if our products are the right fit for you. We have several options we can offer to suit your needs.

You can give several vendors a call or visit to compare the apples. Best of luck with your decision!
I'd say stick w/ Jeff here at Lingenfelter. I'm a bit biased but I've also "tried" shopping for some things at Callaway and I swear they must be amish as nobody has a phone or returns messages.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Why do people bust his ballz about caps *everytime* he posts? Get over it already.. Good grief..
mark.....

arrogance
Old 11-10-2007, 08:38 PM
NORM KOERNER
Racer

HI BLOCK TRADER IM NOT SURE WHO SHOT JFK!CAN YOU TELL US WHAT BLOCK TRADES TO PLAY ON THE MARKET NEXT WEEK?THANX!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
mark.....

arrogance
Nick...

caps lock.

Get notified of new replies

To The Sledge Hammer,Callaway And John Lingenfelter

Old 11-11-2007, 12:18 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

So what does it mean when the member NOT ONLY TYPES IN ALL CAPS, BUT HE ALSO MAKES THEM BOLD, THEN HE MAKES THEM LARGER , AND TO TOP IT OFF, HE CHANGES THE COLOR

Now THAT is irritating..

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
mark.....

arrogance
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
RonVette2
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny stuff here sometimes... just in case anyone wanted to see a bunch of good quality pictures and some collected information on the Sledgehammer Callaway Corvette Check them out here.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:13 PM
NORM KOERNER
Racer

HI BLOCK TRADER SORRY I DONT HAVE THE DETAILS ON JFK BUT I DO HAVE THE DETAILS ON MARILYN MONROE DO YOU HAVE THE DETAILS ON MARTIN LUTHER KING?????

Quick Reply: The Sledge Hammer,Callaway And John Lingenfelter