C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700whp + Road Racing = VERY FUN!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 700whp + Road Racing = VERY FUN!

took my procharged Z06 to the Pocono long course this past sunday with PDA. It was the first time I had a chance to get the car on a "real" track and it was a blast. This is WAY more car then I can handle at the moment but I'm going to have one hell of a fun time learning how to.

For anyone who doesn't know here is a diagram of the track configuration we ran.

the two main straights are pretty long. one is +3000' and the other is +2000' which is plenty of room to get into trouble before you have to brake.

My main objective for the day was to first and foremost HAVE FUN, second was to be able to get a feel for the car at speed and lastly if I felt confident enough behind the wheel I would 'push it' a little and see what she had. I deff. accomplished all my goals.

I wasn't really watching the speedo but my instructor said we hit about 148 on the long straight. The car had A LOT more in it, as you can tell by how little I actually went WOT in the vids, but I didn't want to blast away to 170 and then realize my brakes weren't up to the task of stopping me. So I'll have to wait until I'm 100% confident in the cars, and my, abilities before I really start to explore the power this car has.

Only issues I ran into were my brakes not being able to consistantly slow me down from 140+ which I expected to be the case. When you more then double the wheel HP a car makes there are naturally going to be areas that will need similar upgrades. I will correct the brakes before I go out again that is for sure. I also blew off my upper rad hose at the end of the third session and wet down the track. :o Luckly it happened at the slowest section of the track and not a couple hundred feet back otherwise it might have been a different story. Other then that the car performed flawlessly... the driver still needs some work though.

Here are some pics and vids from the event.

and here are a couple vids.

This first one is session one. It was the very first time I was on the track so no comments about the sunday drive in the beginning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYijJNdoVQ

this one is the end of the second session. I requested an instructor for the event but he bailed on me after my first session so I had to go solo the second session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XB-Z...eature=related

was able to round up an instructor for my third session... that video is u/l now.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:02 PM
0LJo
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you do that with a front mount intercooler, or the twins
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome!!! Nothing like taking it to the edge and staying there
Old 07-23-2008, 06:14 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

single fmic, the one from A&A, covers about 3/4 of the rad.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Chris Stewart
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

That looks like FUN! I didn't care much for the parking lot with cones, but that high speed racing is the real deal!! I could not wait to watch you smoke that Scubaru!!! I would probably go too fast and try some 100mph drifting then probably flip!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 PM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were your brake pads shot after the day of racing, warped roters?
what did you use for tires?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:50 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

autox is challanging but it doesn't hold a candle to doing HPDE's.

that slobrau was holding up so many cars its not even funny.
I have to keep telling myself that its not a race, its an HPDE. if I get behind someone who is slower I focus on driving my line until they realize I'm there and point me by.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Fried_rice
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was awesome!!! Looks like a really fun car! I'm planning on building a RR C5 myself. I'm thinking of custom fabricating my own single turbo kit. I have to sell my supra first... Thanks for posting the vid!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool pics and videos How did your engine temps do?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

awesome!!!

listen to whatever avb tells u!

i am looking for a track ready z06.....cause look what u and i have in our backyard!!!
i wanna find a car that has all safety equ. cooling suspensioin and brakes. stock c5 z06 power will be more then enough!
i dont even car if its dirty, scratched and ugly!
http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/
Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

these guys are into roadracing hardcore.....vendord too plus close....

http://www.phoenixperformanceinc.com/video.htm
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Great video bro and glad to see your enjoying your car big time with drag racing, auto crossing and road racing! I have done a litte road racing and its a FREAKING blast and a true testament to the reliability of one's f/i machine!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Awesome pics and videos bro! I have always been HPDE guy. Been on the 1/4 strip only a couple times in my life. Car is getting forged 347, 8 rib and A&A fuel system very soon and then I will be back in HPDE scene when time permits! AutoX and 1/4 mile aint nothing compared to HPDEs
Old 07-24-2008, 03:46 AM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I usta do a ton of HPDE work with my 03 Z with teh sts and a forged 346 and meth. Wait till you start getting more seat time and push the car harder. You're probably going ot start running into temperature issues. I could put my coolant past 260, oil past 300 within a few laps, bigger dewitts with an oil cooler etc. helped but wouldn't cure it. I bit the bullet and picked up a high mile coupe and dropped a NA 427 in it just for road racing. Really did a number on the car with HPDE work. I'm actually having problems with the heads that were on that motor, which are in my paxton'd FRC on another 346 thats constantly blowing out freeze out plugs and we think its because the heads just took too much thermal loading.

as for brakes, hit the road racing forum, or check into some of the wilwood race pads (e compound), hawk (dtc-70), I actually run some raybestos pads I got from porterfield on the left, and dont' even know what model they are, but they blow the wilwoods away, but 2 days on the track I WILL destroy rotors. You'll also want to pick up some cheap rock auto rotors for track days (like 100 shipped for the set)

Hit the roadrace part of the board or www.ecsracing.com and they'll give you some good advice. Lots of us roadrace, I was the only FI guy and I threw in the towel over the temp issues.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

thanks all for the comments. this stuff is addicting!

the temps on Sunday were brutal. the car was reading in the mid 90's as ambiant temps but the humidity was high so I'd bet the actual temp was over 100*. Not an ideal setting to try and drive a car to tripple digit speeds.

having said that, my engine temps weren't that bad but I'm sure I wasn't pushing the car as hard as I could with more seat time. highest oil temp I saw was 295 once on the long straight, most of the time it was in the 280 range. I was running fresh 15w50 Mobil 1. Highest coolant temps I saw was in the 250's once, I think, mostly it was around the 240 range. Thats with about 20% coolant 80% water and a bottle of WW.

I'm still running the stock radiator w/intergrated OC. I wanted to see how the stock system handled the heat before I upgraded to something bigger. This was a pretty good test I think.

Other then some "free" heat control mods the only things I'm changing before I go back will be a Motul 600RBF flush, carbotech 10/8 pads and hopefully a real seat and harness setup. these stock seats suck for track driving.

I think that answered everyones questions. for some reason the 3rd video didn't u/l... I'll try again.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
thanks all for the comments. this stuff is addicting!

the temps on Sunday were brutal. the car was reading in the mid 90's as ambiant temps but the humidity was high so I'd bet the actual temp was over 100*. Not an ideal setting to try and drive a car to tripple digit speeds.

having said that, my engine temps weren't that bad but I'm sure I wasn't pushing the car as hard as I could with more seat time. highest oil temp I saw was 295 once on the long straight, most of the time it was in the 280 range. I was running fresh 15w50 Mobil 1. Highest coolant temps I saw was in the 250's once, I think, mostly it was around the 240 range. Thats with about 20% coolant 80% water and a bottle of WW.

I'm still running the stock radiator w/intergrated OC. I wanted to see how the stock system handled the heat before I upgraded to something bigger. This was a pretty good test I think.

Other then some "free" heat control mods the only things I'm changing before I go back will be a Motul 600RBF flush, carbotech 10/8 pads and hopefully a real seat and harness setup. these stock seats suck for track driving.

I think that answered everyones questions. for some reason the 3rd video didn't u/l... I'll try again.

as undertaker stated the faster u get the farther ull be from FI set up.
now dont get me wrong u can make it work but itll require alot more attentioin to heat management.

see that vid that i posted?
them guys dicing it out on the 1st lap....
Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I didn't watch the video but I know Pheonix knows their stuff and its great they are so close. I agree its awesome to have NJMP in our back yard, you need to get out there man... that P-car you have would dominate. there was a 996 turbo in my group, with all the mods pushing about 650whp, passing people like they were stanging still!

I know its an uphill battle but I'm not compeating with anyone or really racing, just out there with the car enjoying myself, so I'm going to try and make this FI stuff work on the road course as long as I can. I enjoy driving the car on the street with the blower too much and don't want to have to sacrafice that power for the road course.

I really think with some enguinity and careful part selection I can have a realiable FI track car.

One thing I will say is that all this power probably has me going slower then if the car was stock. Reason being, smooth is fast. With 700+hp at your command its VERY HARD to be smooth. During the infield portion of the track I was way faster in my EVO which has less then half the HP/TQ of this car. But cause its more balanced I was able to drive it smoother and go faster.

Get notified of new replies

To 700whp + Road Racing = VERY FUN!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by undertaker
I usta do a ton of HPDE work with my 03 Z with teh sts and a forged 346 and meth. Wait till you start getting more seat time and push the car harder. You're probably going ot start running into temperature issues. I could put my coolant past 260, oil past 300 within a few laps, bigger dewitts with an oil cooler etc. helped but wouldn't cure it. I bit the bullet and picked up a high mile coupe and dropped a NA 427 in it just for road racing. Really did a number on the car with HPDE work. I'm actually having problems with the heads that were on that motor, which are in my paxton'd FRC on another 346 thats constantly blowing out freeze out plugs and we think its because the heads just took too much thermal loading.

as for brakes, hit the road racing forum, or check into some of the wilwood race pads (e compound), hawk (dtc-70), I actually run some raybestos pads I got from porterfield on the left, and dont' even know what model they are, but they blow the wilwoods away, but 2 days on the track I WILL destroy rotors. You'll also want to pick up some cheap rock auto rotors for track days (like 100 shipped for the set)

Hit the road race part of the board or www.ecsracing.com and they'll give you some good advice. Lots of us road race, I was the only FI guy and I threw in the towel over the temp issues.
Boy does this story hit home! I road race weekly during April to Nov. I caught the bug a couple of years ago with my Procharged 04 C5.

As you get more seat time you will eventually need “real track brakes” (Stoptech, Brembo GTs), cooling upgrades for the engine (radiator, external oil cooler, meth inj), coil overs, R compound tires or racing slicks….That all sounds crazy till you catch the bug. Eventually, I decided to build a track only NA car with a 427 Warhawk block. It will be completed in about 4 weeks.

My advice, if you really like road racing/HPDE’s visit the RR section of the forum. Then think about purchasing a 2002-2004 Z06 to mod or a used T1 car. I wouldn’t start sinking too much money into your existing street car as you will eventually want something built for the track (something with a 10 pt cage to protect your _ss in case something goes wrong).

Not many things are as much fun as RR!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

thanks for the input snitz, I've been following your posts for a while. I'm finding out how addicting this stuff can be, I did one HPDE @ shenandoah last May in my EVO and was hooked!
completly lost all interest in drag racing, which I had been doing for some time.

I read someplace that racing makes a herion addict look like a diabetic with a slight sugar craving. funny how true that statement is.

I would love to purchase another vehicle just for RR but its not in the cards at the moment. I'll have to make due with using this one for double duty. I'm only going to do 1 or 2 HPDE's a month and like I mentioned above, I don't plan to be competative at all, I just want to go out there and have fun with the car.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go much higher on the temps and you'd be pretty close to needing to take a cool-down lap. At that point, it becomes almost impossible to drive it too much harder. The last time I was out, it was 116 and since my air temps never went below 122, i'm assuming that's what track temps were. Highest oil/coolant got was 282/243 after a 40 minute session... being an iron block w/ glowing turbine's on both sides, the good thing is for you/your setup, there's some cushion there for pushing it harder while staying within "operating" temps. The thing is... for you to appreciate all the other things you plan on doing, your going to need to give attention to keeping it cooler... now.

As part of your free mods be sure go over the cavity in front of the radiator and get it nice and sealed. If you DD like I do, make it a habit to blow it out for leaves and carp before track days.

What kind of boost did you see and do you do any logging? It'd be interesting to see what your air temps were..

Quick Reply: 700whp + Road Racing = VERY FUN!