C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley alignment tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:47 PM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i am guessing this is the drawback of making big power then huhhh... so there is really only so much you can do with superchargers becuase then youstart to have issues with the belt slipping.

Was that the first belt you break or has then been others ?

thanks,

Ed
Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 PM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

originally posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Here is a pic of the PS pulley after grinding and sanding the back side down. I also ground the high spots and the ridge on the power steering pump body to make sure I could achieve the depth I needed.

Giving you a heads up.

Keep an eye on that POS billet power steering pulley as I purchased the same one. I had to grind down the one shown below on my bench as well. Note its the same one you have.
It has the wrong offset for a C5 or C6, it's way off. We should not have to grind off almost a 1/4 inch to make it fit.

When I was re installing it after grinding the back as you did, I noticed it went on easier than the first time and gave me an uneasy feeling. It proved to be a problem I should have addressed as the pulley slowly walked off the power steering pulley when the car was running as I was tuning. I was hanging on 4 ribs of an 8 rib belt, that is how much the pulley walked out. I was lucky it didn't fall off completely and start shredding things.

When I purchased it it looked like a nice piece and thought it would save my customer $115. It was $185 vs. $300 for the ATI one.

Well, I guess you get what you pay for.
I Toasted a $55 belt, I'm out the $185 for the Billet pulley and the extra labor re installing it which is a PIA (remove ABS unit, sway bar ,bleed brakes again etc.). plus purchase the $300 ATI pulley.

The ATI one is shown in the kit below.

The ATI unit has a STEEL HUB like the OEM unit instead of Aluminum like this one. It went on much much harder than the aluminum, even the first time I installed it. All you have to do to line it up is press it in until it bottoms out on the power steering pump.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 AM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

does the ATI come with part of the 8 rib setup ?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmlights
so i am guessing this is the drawback of making big power then huhhh... so there is really only so much you can do with superchargers becuase then youstart to have issues with the belt slipping.

Was that the first belt you break or has then been others ?

thanks,

Ed
Belt wasn't slipping. It was just walking or jumping and tore 2 ribs off which acted like a weedeater and tore up the bottom side of the hood and broke the plug for the power harness to the EBCM in half.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C6dude

Giving you a heads up.

Keep an eye on that POS billet power steering pulley as I purchased the same one. I had to grind down the one shown below on my bench as well. Note its the same one you have.
It has the wrong offset for a C5 or C6, it's way off. We should not have to grind off almost a 1/4 inch to make it fit.

When I was re installing it after grinding the back as you did, I noticed it went on easier than the first time and gave me an uneasy feeling. It proved to be a problem I should have addressed as the pulley slowly walked off the power steering pulley when the car was running as I was tuning. I was hanging on 4 ribs of an 8 rib belt, that is how much the pulley walked out. I was lucky it didn't fall off completely and start shredding things.

When I purchased it it looked like a nice piece and thought it would save my customer $115. It was $185 vs. $300 for the ATI one.

Well, I guess you get what you pay for.
I Toasted a $55 belt, I'm out the $185 for the Billet pulley and the extra labor re installing it which is a PIA (remove ABS unit, sway bar ,bleed brakes again etc.). plus purchase the $300 ATI pulley.

The ATI unit has a STEEL HUB like the OEM unit instead of Aluminum like this one. It went on much much harder than the aluminum, even the first time I installed it. All you have to do to line it up is press it in until it bottoms out on the power steering pump.
I appreciate the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. I agree it's , but I expect a little of that when trying to make power. I don't care for it, but expect it. I will not hesitate to get an ATI if this one moves at all.
Not sure exactly how differently the C6's are set up, but I was able to remove the bolts for the alternator bracket and raise the assembly up to get my removal and installation tools on the P.S. pulley. I have never had to remove the ABS gear.

I am enjoying following your build by the way.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Last night, I mocked up the supercharger with the new bracket Andy sent me. The S/C lines up perfectly with the pulley on the bracket, but I am .065" off when firing down to the crank pulley. Andy is mocking a YSi up at the shop and we're going to figure out what to do from here. I can't shim the pulley because it is properly lined up with the other items on the bracket, so the only option I know is to mill down the spacers .065". I can't get pics for you of the laser because they're not coming out very well on this side. New belts and S/C pulley will be here by the end of the week. The new intercooler is mounted, the horn is relocated and everything is ready to assemble once I get things straightened out between the S/C and the balancer.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 AM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

can't wait to see new power ....

Why not build like a custom guide with a roller like that the belt can't jump out ???
Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 AM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Great Information! !
Old 10-15-2008, 08:49 AM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write up Bro! Thats was very cool of you to take the time and put this together!

You and Andy will get it all figured out and it sounds like your begining the end game once again.

Congrats on an awesome build!

So how far are you from Houston?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by FLATOUT
Great write up Bro! Thats was very cool of you to take the time and put this together!

You and Andy will get it all figured out and it sounds like your begining the end game once again.

Congrats on an awesome build!

So how far are you from Houston?
Thanks Andy. Now I just need my air dam covered in carbon fiber and I will be king!! Ok, maybe not, but maybe if I get a good Canon digital camera I'll be there but I'll have to figure out how to use PS3.

Andy has been awesome to me from day one. I feel like family now that he likes to verbally abuse me when I call. ( only in jest for those of you that don't know Andy Green )

I am 4hrs north of Houston, in Kaufman county which is one county east of Dallas.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

can't wait to see new power ....

Why not build like a custom guide with a roller like that the belt can't jump out ???
I can't wait either. I just upgraded to 79lb injectors as well. BlownZ06 (Nick Steffens ) hooked me up on those.
Not sure what you mean by custom guide, roller like. The alt and P.S. do pulleys have high edges to help keep the belt in place though.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MIKE-C5
Great Information! !
Thanks Mike. Can't wait to see where you end up with your build!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 AM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
I can't wait either. I just upgraded to 79lb injectors as well. BlownZ06 (Nick Steffens ) hooked me up on those.
Not sure what you mean by custom guide, roller like. The alt and P.S. do pulleys have high edges to help keep the belt in place though.

like make a braket and atach it where the pulley is and make it like L shaped so it holds the pulley down so when it tries to jump the guide does not let it... I have it in my head but its hard to explain maybe ill draw it ad ill send it to you.

But pretty much like a tensioner on top of the pulley. But the belt doesnot wrap around its purpose is just to keep the belt down in place.

This is just an Idea.

Ed
Old 10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Andy has been awesome to me from day one. I feel like family now that he likes to verbally abuse me when I call. ( only in jest for those of you that don't know Andy Green )
Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 AM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

does the ATI come with part of the 8 rib setup ?

Yes
Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

I gotta hand it to Andy once again. He spent well over an hour mocking up an engine on a stand with the YSi yesterday to take laser measurements for me for comparison reasons. Then he agreed to cut down some spacers on a lathe and ship them to me immediately.

I also ordered another 2.95" pulley because I originally put the Reichart on backwards and pinched it between the S/C and the tensioner. I straightened it out, but I want to eliminate all possibilities. I noticed that the new pulley (not a Reichart ), has higher edges. if this problem was occurring at the supercharger, this might help eliminate that as well. The spacers should be here tomorrow and I will work on getting everything back together this weekend. Keep in mind that it took about 500 miles for this problem to rear it's head, so it may be a while before we know of my success.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Overboosted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very curious on this one.....

Get notified of new replies

To Pulley alignment tutorial

Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

I received some shorter spacers from Andy today. I put them on and I am not dead on, but am within about .020" or so. I am going to move forward and put it all together. I don't drive this car much, so again it's going to take some time before I know if this resolved the problem. I will follow up.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:11 AM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Thats one of the reason were now manufacturing our own pulleys.
We followed the same path as ATI.. We just couldnt justify how they were charging soo freakin much.. Ours include, Steel hub, hardended bolts, and CNC pulley..Our pulley kits also have the option of CNC'd steel or Aluminum.. We not only offer them in chrome, but hard annodized black as well..

Plus their half the price as the ATI kit... WITH a free replacement bearing warranty..

Originally Posted by C6dude

Giving you a heads up.

The ATI one is shown in the kit below.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:15 AM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by American_HP@Total Perf
Thats one of the reason were now manufacturing our own pulleys.
We followed the same path as ATI.. We just couldnt justify how they were charging soo freakin much.. Ours include, Steel hub, hardended bolts, and CNC pulley..Our pulley kits also have the option of CNC'd steel or Aluminum.. We not only offer them in chrome, but hard annodized black as well..

Plus their half the price as the ATI kit... WITH a free replacement bearing warranty..

Awesome.
Will definitely keep you in mind for future builds.

Quick Reply: Pulley alignment tutorial