C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Other Meth kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 PM
joshtownsend
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by molten vett
How long have you been running this kit,any issues?
ran mine for 2 years, and i bought it used for $75... and i was meth heavy!! no issues what so ever
Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Julio
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT56

Every few years is good insurance.

Julio's Alky Control kit has an LED that comes on to let you know that the pump is working and that LED is tied to a pressure circuit in the head of the pump.
I'm not sure how AEM's controller knows something's wrong, but the way I understand their system/pump works is to run the pump speed up until it hits a pressure switch at which point it oscillates on and off (which is a really bad idea IMO). It could be a circuit as simple as a circuit that knows the pump should be on and the pressure switch inside the pump head isn't tripping off the head pressure.
See if you run water that pump would last 15 years. Using 50/50 it should last 7 years. Using straight methanol ~3-4 years. As the methanol content goes up its harder on the materials. This assummes no cross contamination of fuel/oil mixed with the methanol. At that point.. 3 weeks and its toast.

So lets say for example you use straight meth. Pump should normally last 3-4 years. If you rebuild/replace it every 2 years.. your ahead of the curve and dont worry about a failure. If you wait for it to start leaking or other issue.. then your results are just that. Pumps are cheap in the grand scheme of things. A rebuild costs less than a 5 gallon pail of race gas.

Its the oil change analogy. If your counting on the oil to protect the bearings in your motor.. you change it before your bearings start making sounds. 3000 miles=12,000 1/4 mile passes. There is no oil on the planet that holds up to that. Point is you have people saying change the oil every 6k, or every 15k.. wait that long.. your in trouble on a racing engine. So frequent fluid changes are part of the deal you have now with your new monster motor making big power. Its simple maintenance.. a pump needed to put a fluid into your motor to keep it from detonating.. its cheap in the grand scheme of things.

There is no 1,000 HP setup that requires zero maintenance. If you dont want to change pumps on a system ever.. dont build such a vehicle. E85 is no cheaper, neither is race gas. The quest to go faster has a price. Always has. As the power goes up.. so do its maintenance schedules.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 AM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by molten vett
Are you running straight Meth or a 50/50 mix?
At first 50/50 but I'm at 100% now
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 AM
molten vett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julio
See if you run water that pump would last 15 years. Using 50/50 it should last 7 years. Using straight methanol ~3-4 years. As the methanol content goes up its harder on the materials. This assummes no cross contamination of fuel/oil mixed with the methanol. At that point.. 3 weeks and its toast.

So lets say for example you use straight meth. Pump should normally last 3-4 years. If you rebuild/replace it every 2 years.. your ahead of the curve and dont worry about a failure. If you wait for it to start leaking or other issue.. then your results are just that. Pumps are cheap in the grand scheme of things. A rebuild costs less than a 5 gallon pail of race gas.
O
Its the oil change analogy. If your counting on the oil to protect the bearings in your motor.. you change it before your bearings start making sounds. 3000 miles=12,000 1/4 mile passes. There is no oil on the planet that holds up to that. Point is you have people saying change the oil every 6k, or every 15k.. wait that long.. your in trouble on a racing engine. So frequent fluid changes are part of the deal you have now with your new monster motor making big power. Its simple maintenance.. a pump needed to put a fluid into your motor to keep it from detonating.. its cheap in the grand scheme of things.

There is no 1,000 HP setup that requires zero maintenance. If you dont want to change pumps on a system ever.. dont build such a vehicle. E85 is no cheaper, neither is race gas. The quest to go faster has a price. Always has. As the power goes up.. so do its maintenance schedules.
Thanks for stepping in with this information Julio it is appreciated. I have a better understanding of the pump schedule now.

Quick Reply: Other Meth kits?