Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entrapment? You decide......

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:02 PM
MTLNY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...the comparison of perks does not equate. How can you say a free airline ticket, store discounts, is equal letting a fellow leo off. After all this talk about how reckless and dangerous speeding, it's ok for a leo and not some other person, Right? Don't you love it when a Leo sppeds past you doing 85-90 just to see him a few minutes later settling into a nice u-turn for the next victim.What's that rational for that, other than speeding is fun and exhilerating, Or in a rush to get the next guy. This whole thread is about discretion. If someone is cruising 75 in a 65 with nary a person in sight, wide open highway, is it necessary to screw him with points for 18 months and higher insurance premiums for three years. Why? Quota? Power trip?... How about a warning. There's a difference between doing 75 in a 65 and let's say 50 in a 30... the later being very dangerous and inexcusable. that's what we're saying...
Old 03-30-2005, 02:20 PM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave68
Cop: When did you notice my car?
Me: On the other side of the parking lot.
Cop: Didn't you see my lights out there on the road?
Me: No, I heard your siren and that's when I pulled over.
Cop: Well, here's what happened: I was following a different car that was traveling much faster than you were. All of a sudden, he slowed down and that's when I noticed your car. Although you were driving slower than he was, I noticed that after clocking you, your speed was over the limit. Why didn't you see the 35 MPH sign?
Me: I was looking for a safe place to turn around so I could head back. My eyes were scanning the scene far ahead of anything at the side of the road.
Cop: Well, I'm going to have to give you a ticket for speeding. You should always monitor speed limit signs.
Me: I'm not from this area and I was focusing on finding a place to turn around. Hasn't that ever happened to you?
Cop: I'm no going to argue about it; just give me your license, etc...

I really didn't want to get into this thread and maybe I shouldn't.
I read the entire thing and coming from a person with only a HS
education and a reading handicap, it was tough.

But after digging through all the and the obvious resentments, I'd
like to point out something which might have been overlooked:The
original post!

It seems that Dave was not so much complaining of LEOs or the
enforement of the law, but of his inability to extract any sympathy
from the officer.

If the conversation did indeed go as quoted above, then the officer
did invite the verbal intercourse. I didn't see Dave as "arguing" the
matter, only that he offered a "reason" for not seeing his lights, not an "excuse" which so many LEOs think is a line of from the motorist. A "reason" which the officer apparently asked for.
Dave's only perceived argument was to ask the officer if something
similar had ever happened to him?

Another common point is the "out of town" question. Unless the officer
is from a town in Cambodia, most every municipality has almost
instant access to "running a plate" before a stop is even made. So yes,
they do know registration and owner info beforehand.

My town and surrounding towns' officers ride around all day and run
the plates. When they stop at a light, they run plates...When they follow someone, they run plates. When they pull into a convenience
store parking lot, they run plates. Sometimes they get lucky and find
someone with an outstanding warrant.

So they do know, for the most part, that whomever they are stopping,
what their chances of danger may be.

And yes, police officers are engaged in a potentially dangerous
profession and it shouldn't disregarded. But I don't believe anyone
here in this thread has made any comment or has any intention
of diminishing those who do the tough things and face dangers.
And, if they follow procedures correctly, they can drastically
minimze their potential for danger.

The LEO's do have "perks" and benefits others do not. Those are the
choices that we all make.

I do believe there is a sense of frustration from those who feel they
have been singled out. It happens and the term "unfair" comes in all
too frequently. It's human nature though.
But I believe it is the tendency of an officer to view any words that
come out of a "singled out" motorist to be a line of .

Some officers cannot fathom the idea that some things are merely
overlooked or not seen.
I have seen this a number of times personally.

There are those A-holes of LEO's and they're probably A-holes in their
personal lives too. Some are power mongers and want to show off.
Some abuse their power, and yes, they do have power.

They have a badge, a weapon, and the knowledge most circumstances
of the law. This is power. They also have a backing of authority to
enforce the law. For the most part, traffic enforcement takes up a
majority of a LEO's day.

It's boring and tedious I'm sure. But with this may come a disrespect
for any motorist.

The word discretion comes into play a lot as well.

My belief is that discretion should come into play from the officer
when cricumstances fit. Was the violation a real safety issue?
Like speeding through a heavy traffic situation? Or tailgating or
disregard of school bus stops, etc.

Some of these should be clear cut citations but a single car on a
highway with no real danger is questionable. So the discretion is now
switched from safety to attitude. Now it's a personality issue and how
best to comply with the officer's sense of reasonableness.

If just the right words or facial expressions don't come off the motorist,
the officer can go into "punish" mode.

Police work is a public job. You guys/gals have a duty and deal with
some of the unpleasant things in life. So do the rest of us.
LEOs do work for the people, like it or not.
You do have to respond to car accidents, domestic situations,
medical emergencies, etc.

That's the job.

Many get defensive and ask" Who you do you call when you need help?"

Well, we call you...Because that is the system that is set up.
That doesn't mean that because you do the tough things, that
you are immune from criticism either.

Again, that is the job.

You also shouldn't have to be disrespected either. No matter how "fair"
you may handle a situation, sometimes you will run into an A-hole.

But most of that can be controlled by the officer with his/her attitude.

People do respond favorably to kindness and understanding. Display
those qualities and I guarantee you that respect comes your way.

I'm outta' here...George
Old 03-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Great post, George! You brought up some very good points, although I must say that if you have only a high school education, you must've learned plenty. Here's the scenario that I wish would've happened:

Cop: When did you notice my car?
Me: On the other side of the parking lot.
Cop: Didn't you see my lights out there on the road?
Me: No, I heard your siren and that's when I pulled over.
Cop: Well, here's what happened: I was following a different car that was traveling much faster than you were. All of a sudden, he slowed down and that's when I noticed your car. Although you were driving slower than he was, I noticed that after clocking you, your speed was over the limit. Why didn't you see the 35 MPH sign?
Me: I was looking for a safe place to turn around so I could head back. My eyes were scanning the scene far ahead of anything at the side of the road. In addition, I'm not from this area and I was focusing on finding a place to turn around. Hasn't that ever happened to you?

Cop: Yes, I'd be lying if I said that it hasn't. Well, Since you're not from around here, I'm going to give you a warning and ask you to please slow down when you come to my town.
Me: Well, I certainly appreciate that. By the way, I just so happened to have a box of breakfast bagels here in my car. Would you like some?
Cop: Sure, don't mind if I do!
Me: Take care and have a great weekend
Cop: I sure will - you too!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:55 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
Wow EHS-...You never answered, What do you do for a living? Mind you, I'm not curious...Before you go off about how you'd NEVER want to because blah, blah, corruption, blah., I'd like for you to share what you do, 'cause you sure do act like it.

As previous noted, you're so obviously so interested in the workings of Police Officers and their careers (all your knowledge of retirement plans, keeping tabs on daily going ons,etc.). I'd like to extend an invitation to you, if you're ever on the west coast to come ride with me and see what happens. Unless you have a warrant for your arrest, 'cause I will check...

Dave
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the threat... just what I expected from a "non-corrupt" cop like you. Your breeding is showing.

I'm in investments -- real estate to be precise. Part of what I do, is to clean up the post 9/11 mess in NYC, which includes hiring former NYPD cops (to the inspector level), who have since retired on a nice fat overtime pension from the tragic events of 2001-2002, and are now in the "security" business, taking advantage of what happened at the WTC.

Here's one of your "brothers" -- recognize the "mug shot"?

Well, in case you don't recognize your fellow "bro," it's former police commissioner Bernie Kerik, you know, the one who evaded taxes, hired illegal aliens, didn't pay Social Security, has a warrant out for his arrest (why don't you run his plate?) -- no wait, professional courtesy, you'd let him go, -- got fined (finally) for using NYPD detectives for personal gain, "copped" $6 million in Taser stock options (probably by selling you some), had two simultaneous extra-martial affairs (inlcuding one with a fellow police officer), bankrupt, and with all this, connected to the mob. Hey, semper fi, the thin blue line and all that.

I have a ton of professional licenses, from a number of states, including yours, so threaten me all you want -- if my record passes the Department of State's every year, it should pass yours. And, I'll also stack up my two Ivy League degrees to your high school education any time.

Bottom line, "Dave," the issue which you refuse to address, is that you and your fellow "LEOs" will not enforce the law equitably and fairly -- which is what you are charged to do as your civic responsibility. Everytime you let one of your fellow "LEOs" off for speeding, DWI, or whatever, you are committing a crime, and you are corrupt.

Bluster all you want. Buh, bye.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:51 PM
cadams
Drifting

I think you were profiled.....but the cop covered his **** nicely. You'll never prove it ...... and its too late for Johnny Cochran's help.

...but i feel for you; it happened to me once also. I was clocked at 66 mph. Was written up for for 66 in a 55. But in fact, I was in the buffer zone of the "reduced speed ahead" 65 to 55. Went to court to fight it, brought a map and everything.

My goal was to contest the technicality of the posted speed, technically 65, NOT 55. Ticket should have said 66 in 65. Not to mention that Johnny law usually gives you up to 5 mph buffer on the highway.

Judge said tough; you're still speeding. Full fines and court cost.

...thank you sir may I have another?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:26 PM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EHS
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the threat... just what I expected from a "non-corrupt" cop like you. Your breeding is showing.

I'm in investments -- real estate to be precise. Part of what I do, is to clean up the post 9/11 mess in NYC, which includes hiring former NYPD cops (to the inspector level), who have since retired on a nice fat overtime pension from the tragic events of 2001-2002, and are now in the "security" business, taking advantage of what happened at the WTC.

Here's one of your "brothers" -- recognize the "mug shot"?

Well, in case you don't recognize your fellow "bro," it's former police commissioner Bernie Kerik, you know, the one who evaded taxes, hired illegal aliens, didn't pay Social Security, has a warrant out for his arrest (why don't you run his plate?) -- no wait, professional courtesy, you'd let him go, -- got fined (finally) for using NYPD detectives for personal gain, "copped" $6 million in Taser stock options (probably by selling you some), had two simultaneous extra-martial affairs (inlcuding one with a fellow police officer), bankrupt, and with all this, connected to the mob. Hey, semper fi, the thin blue line and all that.

I have a ton of professional licenses, from a number of states, including yours, so threaten me all you want -- if my record passes the Department of State's every year, it should pass yours. And, I'll also stack up my two Ivy League degrees to your high school education any time.

Bottom line, "Dave," the issue which you refuse to address, is that you and your fellow "LEOs" will not enforce the law equitably and fairly -- which is what you are charged to do as your civic responsibility. Everytime you let one of your fellow "LEOs" off for speeding, DWI, or whatever, you are committing a crime, and you are corrupt.

Bluster all you want. Buh, bye.

Uh Oh!...I suspect this will not end very well.

Come on now guys...No one is corrupt here and we're intelligent
people with, I'm sure, good credentials. So everyone lower their
guns and take step back please.

Threads like this make for good, thought provoking conversation.
But the original post has gotten lost and namecalling and threats
are not becoming.

Kiss and make up please, as though you were "gay."
NOT as if there is anything wrong with that.

...George
Old 03-30-2005, 07:15 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by georgec114
Uh Oh!...I suspect this will not end very well.

Come on now guys...No one is corrupt here and we're intelligent
people with, I'm sure, good credentials. So everyone lower their
guns and take step back please.

Threads like this make for good, thought provoking conversation.
But the original post has gotten lost and namecalling and threats
are not becoming.

Kiss and make up please, as though you were "gay."
NOT as if there is anything wrong with that.

...George
No offense taken by me. I still love you guys.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:40 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Threat?

I invited you to come ride along to see things from a different perspective ... that's it. Why would you feel like that was a threat? The check for warrants was a joke Ride alongs are common here. People think that other people think the way they do. Why are you so upset?

You "hire" people ... wow. Sounds like you have a job due to 9/11 ... personal gain? You don't voice your opinion to the people "you hire" because you know you can't do the job yourself. It's OK. No one expects much from you. Your breeding is very obvious.

What's funny is you have 2 ivy league degrees, but that doesn't make you smarter than anyone, including me. Push comes to shove, you can't stand on your own two feet. You have to resort to "my brother is bigger than yours" mentality. Debates are an exchange of intelligent ideas and points of view. I'd listen gladly when you have something more than donut jokes and personal attacks to discuss.

Have a nice day, sleep well and enjoy the security you live under, thanks to the people you seem to despise Next time you need the police, call your local pizza guy instead and see what he can do for ya!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Kris072
Pro

Next time you need the police, call your local pizza guy instead and see what he can do for ya!
Damnit ...there goes the price of pizza !
Old 03-30-2005, 08:19 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

What do you do for a living?

I use discretion. That is 100% my choice whether I write or not.

Courtesy is subjective. I've known guys who've written other cops, and I know I've been on the recieving end of a possible cite.

Why? It's like ANY other career. It has it's perks. Retail people get discounts, restaurant people get free meals as part of their bonuses. Do you resent them for it?

You are so interested to know how, why and so on.

Just do what others have done ... go through a Police Academy, put on a uniform with a great big bull's eye on the front, back and on the car you drive. Spend your work day/night, weekends, holidays, sick days, vacation days, birthdays of your kids, anniversaries and any other time all your other friends/family with "normal jobs", solving the problems of others ... and maybe, just maybe after 10 years ... you might begin to see the answers to your questions yourself.

Dirty Red said it earlier, if you don't like the way someone else is doing the job, join up and do it yourself.

It's so easy to criticize the way someone else does something that they do everyday. But you couldn't / wouldn't do it for 5 minutes.
Well said! One thing you fail to point out here also is training. How many non LEO here have been thru high speed driving courses? How many of you have been trained to avoid an obstacle in the road at high speed?

Now I'll speak AZ law. Here the speed law is "reasonable and prudent". In otherwords it not a primafacia violation because you're over the posted limit. If I stop another cop I know what he's been trained to do with that vehicle.

One step further, do you want the cop speeding when he responds to your wife's call for help? The thought process by many here is that the cop would be violating the law and another officer is "corrupt" if they don't cite his fellow officer.

I would just ask you all to look in the mirror and ask yourself what "perks" you have received because of your occupation. I would guess that very few of you could say you never got even the smallest perk.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:29 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default 42 in a 35

nothin else to say but what a D**K
Old 03-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Prosecutor
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EHS

Finally, and this is the point of this thread, you don't have "discretion." Discretion is up to the judge to interpret the law and the circumstances -- you're supposed to enforce it. Period.

Corruption.

uuum, as a matter of law, in all jurisdictions, this poster is absolutely incorrect. Police officers have a great deal of discretion. This is consistently recognized throughout the law and police officers are encouraged to make choices and consider whether they will initiate a criminal prosecution or otherwise intervene in a situation.

LATE EDIT: I have to say, I reread the entire post quoted above, and it is quite possibly the most incorrect and baseless drivel that has been posted on here to date.

For those of you that are dead set on bashing police officers and making up law or legal principles to support your opinion...please stop. It makes you sound silly.

Last edited by Prosecutor; 03-30-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:06 PM
BWP 5P
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

All I can say after reading all this is WOW

Somwhere in all this we're all Brothers in Vettes

As for bashing our LEO Brothers for doing their jobs

And like George said, Dave wasn't bashing, he was merely explaining what he thought was a bad ticket, not accusing our LEO friends.

Believe it or not, there are JERKS in my line of work, and I have to deal with them.....just as there are Jerks in ALL lines of work.

Many great posts on here....I do hate to see the animosity though

maybe everyone needs to and get back to dissing Mustangs
Old 03-30-2005, 09:30 PM
michach1
Instructor

My God! Can't we all just get along?

A##holes exist in every profession. So what?

I think the only takeaway message of this never-ending post is that people are VERY sensitive about getting cited for speeding.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 AM
rockgt302
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

EHS, Im only a few counties away from you if you want a ride along. I doubt you would want to. First off, your hiring of cops due to 9/11. You speak of cleaning the mess, did you actually CLEAN up any thing. When I worked for the NYPD, I lived there for months sifting through rubble, finding body parts, some perk. NYPD has one of the lowest paying salaries, I dont know where you get $140,000 from. I left for that reason, more money. The only person making that would be a commisioner. The Cheif of the Dept is the highest paid Officer at around $120,000 and they do not get OT. Kerik was and is HATED by cops on the NYPD, he is a scumbag, has was a puppet for Rudy. So we shall bow to you, the Ivy Leaguer who is far better than the rest of us.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:48 AM
SONKIST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Wow! C'mon guys - all this because somebody got a ticket!! If you get a ticket you don't deserve, fight it as much as you like to try and get out of it. But.... if that doesn't work, just make yourself smile by thinking of all the other times you were blowing the cobwebs out of your Vette and should have gotten a ticket but didn't!! Tally the times you should have gotten one against that ONE that you've got in your hand.

And all this cop bashing?

I wouldn't want their job - it's a tough one. So I can't be critical of how someone else is doing a job if I'm not willing to step up and do it myself. Ask yourself if you are in the same position. Without them, we would have a MESS!!

Quick Reply: Entrapment? You decide......