Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is your Corvette everything you thought/hoped it would be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:35 PM
chazzvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Words do not describe..............
Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Railfan
Burning Brakes

Oh Ya Hey Don't Ya Know Too Yet!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:39 PM
KidCid
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

OMG YES!

Seriously, I get withdrawls if I don't drive it every couple of days. I went on the road for a week and half and the wife had to email me pics every couple of hours to keep me from curling up into the fetal position and bawling my eyes out!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:00 PM
C-5
Advanced

No question about it!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Skull One
Drifting

Originally Posted by rcs128
For me it's 99% of what I expected (hence the "no" vote). I thought it would be a bit more refined as far as noise and harshness. I'm sure that either doing a dynamat mod or replacing the runflats will get it to where I want it to be. Oh, and I have the Z51 suspension, so I really can't blame the car for being harsh.

On the upside, I really don't think the interior is as plasticy and bad as all the car mags always made it out to be... to me it's just fine, and I'm glad the money went into other things.

Still the best damn performance car I've ever had the true pleasure to own! (and by far best looking, too).

I have to take the Coupe in for the second time in less than 8 months to have the D pillars entire rear rubber seal replaced due to splitting/tearing. The amount of rattles I have had to fix or have fixed has made me wonder why I didn't spend the $45K on a Infiniti M45 or Acura TL which have fewer issues in that department. Having come close to Lemon Lawing the car once is another reason I ask why I bought the car.

Now for the counter point I why I am keeping her at present.

I am learning from people here and from others in the LSCC on how to do the work myself (I no longer trust GM service). Hence it is now being done correctly the first time. When she is working the way I expect, the ride is one of a kind and a great touring car. I am having a blast at the Autocrosses that I am running in as well as the group tours I have gone on.

I got burned on a Montana and LeSaber when it came to customer service and said I would never touch a GM car again. But the Corvette bug bit me two years later and I thought "they wouldn't let me down on a $45K car would they"? They did. Big time.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:22 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Actually more than I thought. Well worth the wait.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Husker67
Burning Brakes

I simply love this car!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:34 PM
EscapePod
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree with these sentiments, but I would like to add that the column lock fiasco, and some issues with tire pressure sensors have me somewhat sour on the car, when you consider it's price.
It came pretty close, but after six Vettes, I had hoped this one would be somewhat trouble free (after all, its not really a "sportscar" anymore -- more of a boulevard cruiser)

In addition to the above mentioned, there's the fuel gauge sensors, leaking rear seal, and the latest -- cracked rear wheel spoke (with no really heavy duty driving to cause it).

(but.... wha'dya expect from a Chevy?)
Old 05-23-2005, 06:05 PM
greggimbert
Advanced

It's all that and a bag of chips, overall. Have had *** cars exclusively & miss their quality but not their lack of soul. Plan to always have one now... Least till I can afford a Ferrari
Old 05-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Mine is what I thought it would be--a dream come true.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Zippy The Wonderdog
Instructor

You would not believe how long I tortured myself before acutally pulling the trigger.

Finally, I did.

There has been no looking back.

My only gripes have been....

Turning radius is pretty damn bad. I came to my Corvette out of a 2004 Maxima...which also has a horrific turning radius so its not like it was something new.

Getting it into reverse can be a royal pain in the ***. I also don't like the position for reverse. My 6-spd Maxima had a great location for it...all the way right past 6th and down...where it should be. You had to lift up a little **** on the shifter to get there. Great way of doing it. So, yes...its tough to actually get it into reverse...and I think the position for it is REALLY stupid. But I can live with it.

I had an issue...which I posted about here...where in going for 5th instead I was allowed to easily (note the irony here) go on my merry way and attempt reverse. Not good. A bit of a grind each time. Strange how when I am stopped it's a bitch to get into reverse...but when cruising on the highway it seemed easy to do so. Such a scenario has only happened in cold weather...I detect a pattern here...

When I was in my teen's in the 80's...like most red blooded Americans I was a Corvette lover. Never thought it would happen.

It did.

Last edited by Zippy The Wonderdog; 05-23-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:46 PM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I really love it however here are my two complaints

1) For some reason I'm getting used to the car, and that's just awful. I almost liked it better when I was drooling on the pictures when the car came out. It's different now that it's in my driveway.

2) Noises. I hate noises. Squeaking from the back and can't fix it. Squeaking from the belts (fixed that though), exhaust rattle, shifter rattle. ETC. I'm learning to tune those noises out though. the radio helps.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
01yellowc5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

hell ya i love my dream car!!!!!!!!and if money was not a problem,i would buy as many corvettes i can
Old 05-24-2005, 04:47 AM
JadeDragon
Pro

Yessiree Bob, I love my Corvette.

I know its not right to be so attached to a material posession, and if I dont get this dream out of my system in this life I might have to reincarnate again to work this through.

So Im just going to enjoy the heck out of this dream come true for as long as fate allows.

I salute you fellow dreamers and achievers!~~~JadeDragon
Old 05-24-2005, 06:38 AM
ebubman
Melting Slicks

i sold my 87 red coupe a few years ago & just 2 wks ago hooked up with a silver 2000 c5 coupe. WOW! it's good to be back in the driver's seat again. ain't nothing on planet earth like a corvette! bub
Old 05-24-2005, 08:42 AM
love my car
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been alot more to me. i had a c3 that i loved,but this c5 is a amazing car.When i take my freinds out to the garage and pull the cover off,its like HOLY ****!! And when i take anyone for a ride,its smiles on smiles.Just a joy to own.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:41 PM
yellowvettechick
6th Gear

I absolutely LOVE my '00 yellow coupe. I have wanted one since I was 16!! It took me a while but I got exactly what I wanted and I am smitten. I still can't believe it's mine - it drives so much smoother than I had expected and I still get surprised at how responsive and quick it is. (I previously drove a '95 Z28 6 speed for six years and not having to shift now is a big part of it - I was just so over that clutch in rush hour traffic every day!) And another thing I love about being a Corvette owner is that all the other 'Vette owners greet you on the road! Corny, I know, that I get excited about that but I've drooled over other people's 'Vettes and now I can drool over mine!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Is your Corvette everything you thought/hoped it would be?

Old 06-15-2005, 10:43 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

My Corvette is my dream machine.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,091 Likes on 2,053 Posts

Originally Posted by MyOwn69
If I could quote all of the "positive" comments in this thread, that would just about sum it up!!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:00 PM
98Z51
Advanced

It's exceeded my expectations, I've had it for 3 years and I like it as much now as the day I drove it home.

Quick Reply: Is your Corvette everything you thought/hoped it would be?