Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats your opinion on a leased vehicle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:01 PM
slicksilver11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats your opinion on a leased vehicle??

I am looking at a 2000 vert. For the 1st 41000 miles it was a leased vehicle. The next 13-14000 was a private owner. What do you think about that? The first was leased to a company and then sent to auction after the fact.
Not really familiar with leases, but do they make you bring car in for service more often and have to follow the manufactor recommended procedures, etc.
Let me know what you think.

* Sebring Silver Metallic with Black Leather, Black Top
* 5.7 Liter 345hp, LS1 V8
* Z51 Performance Handling Package
* 6-Speed Manual Transmission
* High Polished Aluminum Wheels
* Bose Audio with In-dash Cd and 12 Disc Changer
* Head-up Display
* Power Telescopic Steering Column
* Dual Power Sport Bucket Seats
* Memory Package
* Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control
* Active Handling
Here are the options
What do you think a fair price would be.

Carfax checks out clean - says it was leased to a company that also owns fleet vehicles. It was then auctioned and bought by an individual.
let me have some more feed back
thanks

Last edited by slicksilver11; 12-20-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by slicksilver11
Not really familiar with leases, but do they make you bring car in for service more often and have to follow the manufactor recommended procedures, etc.
I have leased several cars for my business. If anything, a leased car is less likely to be well cared for, since it doesn't belong to the person driving it.

I don't know about GM, but my experience with lease turn-ins of Chrysler and BMW indicates that they are pretty lenient. They only required evidence of maintenance performed if requested. Further, dings/dents/chips that can be covered by a quarter, and surface scratches that can be covered by a credit card are considered "normal wear & tear."
Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 PM
DirteeDave
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I've leased cars in the past and took good care of them because I didn't want to get hit with excess wear and tear type charges at the end of the lease. I don't think I would be any more wary of a previously leased vehicle than a previously owned vehicle.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 PM
b98
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

No.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:52 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 AM
jcerra
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by b98
I'd pass on a leased Vette.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:00 AM
BuckIVette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I can provide insight from both sides of this issue. I have both leased vehilces and boght a leased vehicle.

I first leased in 1992 when I leased a new Honda Accord (actually besta nd most reliable car I have ever owned in 40 years of driving). Bought it out at the end of the lease and kept it until 2000. I traded it on a lease on a new 2000 Firebird convertible. Bought that out at the end of the lease. I still have that car (will be selling it in spring).

BOTH vehicles were/are meticulously maintained and I have all records.

My employer provides me a vehicle in my job. Have been in vans (Caravan and Windstar) for 10 years and just picked up a 2006 Magnum (damn, no hemi!) a week ago. I put 30000+ miles a year on these and they are also meticulously maintained.

NOW to my Corvette. Bought it this spring form local dealer. It was leased. Ran Carfax and came clean. Dealer had entire maintenance record. Car is beautiful (see sig). Could not be happier with this car.

Moral to the story - a leased vehicle is not necessarily any more of a risk than any other type of used car. Do your homework - ask fro a Carfax; get the maintenance records; have an independent mechanic you trust thoroughly inspect the car; THEN DRIVE WITH THAT PERMA GRIN AND ENJOY!
Old 12-20-2005, 08:15 AM
BubblePuppy
Safety Car

Location: Si Vis Pacem Habeatis Filios Vestros, Ad Bellum Parare Modo

Originally Posted by BuckIVette
NOW to my Corvette. Bought it this spring form local dealer. It was leased. Ran Carfax and came clean. Dealer had entire maintenance record. Car is beautiful (see sig). Could not be happier with this car.

Moral to the story - a leased vehicle is not necessarily any more of a risk than any other type of used car. Do your homework - ask fro a Carfax; get the maintenance records; have an independent mechanic you trust thoroughly inspect the car; THEN DRIVE WITH THAT PERMA GRIN AND ENJOY!

Bought my 2001 coupe from a private seller...he was the second owner. First "owner" was a company that leased the vehicle for an employee. After running the CarFax and taking it to a local Chevy dealer for a thorough inspection, it was "clean" enough for me to buy with confidence. BuckIVette is right, though...do your homework first and buy only if you're satisfied with the results.

That's my $0.02, anyway.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Unless it's a real bargain I'd pass.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:36 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Last edited by screw991le; 12-21-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

If I were to lease a car, it would never get an oil change, nor anything that wasn't necessary to keep it running. Why spend money maintaining something that dosen't belong to you. In regards to your question, no way buy a car that had been leased.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:17 AM
OUR97
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 97 from a guy who's lease ran out. Other than a lot of cleaning and waxing, it has been a trouble-free car. (Not counting the column lock thing.) I knew him from the club I was in so everybody else had input into my decision. All were supportive. It all boils down to you checking out the car just as if it were a regular used car purchase. Good luck on your choice.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Lease rhymes with fleece.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 AM
jinxxman1
Racer

would be hit or miss IMO. if you get a car that belonged to someone who was meticulous and cared for the vehicle even though it was just a "rental" albeit a long term one, youd be fine. You get a car where the leasee didnt give a rats and did the bare minimum if that, you may have a problem. Personally, I'd stay away from purchasing a car that was a former lease, but the reality is that would remove almost ALL used cars less than a few years old, given they make up the bulk of the pre owned market.

Do your research, try to get one with some semblance of a warranty, have it checked out first and decide.

Last edited by jinxxman1; 12-20-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:13 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

I think there is some confusion between leased and rental. Avoid a car that has been a daily rental. They probably have been abused and not maintained. Leased cars are usually operated by one person, so if they have been maintained properly and not wrecked, it wouldn't be any different than a one owner car. How do you know any used car you may buy hasn't been raced or similiarly abused without a close and thorough inspection?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:15 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 338 Posts

Default you OWN a leased vehicle...oh yes.

just to clarify a comment on "you don't own" the "leased" vehicle. a lease is just a form of financing the vehicle. it's a loan... yes a LOAN. a lease just is a "type" of loan that you agree to give the car back at the end of the loan for "so called" favorable terms. if you don't "own" a leased vehicle...just try taking/giving it back the second you sign the LOAN papers. your name is on the title just like any other loan with the creditor as the "lein holder". you are not renting the vehicle that the rental company owns....read the LOAN papers you sign. anyway, not all leased vehicles are road hard and put up wet. just as many non-leased vehicles are beaten up!!! just my .02.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats your opinion on a leased vehicle??

Old 12-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Blue Smooth
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

There are too many private owner garage queens out there to opt for a leased car...just be patient and keep looking

Heck...check out the for sale section...a week doesn't go by where awesome cars aren't hitting new lows.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:47 AM
charlene
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I have leased cars and when i traded them in people were their to purchase them right away because of the way i take care of a car.To me even tho the car is leased it is still mine thats how i feel and i dont want to be driving a piece of junk around i take pride in how i take care of my cars.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:08 AM
JCaravan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my 2001 this July. It had previously been leased. When I set out on my search, I was looking to buy from a private owner who took meticulous care of the car. After searching for nearly two years, more seriously the last 6 months, I finally found the car that met all of my requirements (color, miles, conv, 6spd, year), except for the fact that it had previously been leased. I debated on whether to pursue (the car was located 1000 miles away). I finally decided I would make the trip and take a look at the car. If it looked to be in immaculate condition, then I would make the purchase, but if not, I had no problem walking away and making a vaction out of the trip. As it turns out, the car was in excellent condition, and my wife and I had a blast driving it home (and making a small vacation out of the trip too). To ease some of my concerns, I did opt for an extended warranty, but I don't attribute this to the fact it had been leased, I would have done it regardless just for peace of mind. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the car.

Based on my experience with this car, I would not simply avoid a car just because it has been leased. But, I can also understand why others would recommend you stay away. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable. Just remember, life is short, so don't spend it watching from the side lines.

Quick Reply: Whats your opinion on a leased vehicle??