Just bought it, smashed! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Default Just bought it, smashed! (pics)

Hey there fellow members. I finally purchased my dream car. I've been reasearching and doing my homework on this forum before I bought the car for a while and I'd like to say that all of you have been a great help to me. It's an 01 Coupe, 56K, 6 speed, after an accident. That's really all I could afford right now, since I go to school full time, but I couldn't wait anymore. Runs very nice but it does need work. I'll try to do as much as I can by my self, and the rest, like frame work and painting, will need to be done by a shop. If anyone has a corvette that they're parting out in the New England area, please let me know. I can't wait to hit the roads in this thing and go to all the meets and hopefully meets some great people, till then, here are some "before" pics
Konrad

Old 09-02-2006, 07:41 PM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
repo
Team Owner

Location: "when lightning strikes twice, the funerals insane, the funerals insane"
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St Jude Donor '14-'15

How much?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:54 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like you have your hands full!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '16

Paid $10,330. I know that some people don't even look at salvage cars, but like I said, that's all I could afford. So little by little, it'll get there...
Old 09-02-2006, 07:57 PM
c5vette_dallas
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that thing got effed!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:58 PM
troy144
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your a brave guy... and for that alone Good luck with the repairs and I look forward to the before and after
Old 09-02-2006, 07:58 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default smashed

Good luck on your project. Hope you have had auto shop- one thru ten.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:59 PM
uncle52
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Good luck! From the looks of it the pole that hit the Vette must have been going way too fast and tailgating.lol Enjoy the adventure...
Old 09-02-2006, 08:00 PM
slammedwhitec5vert
Drifting

Have fun Looks like an easy fix....... Salvage title or regular?????
Old 09-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I think its great that you are willing to put so much effort into achieving you goal and fulfilling a dream. You will appreciate that car more than if you bought it whole. Check out C5 Parts For Sale section. THere are frequently guys parting out cars. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Bob
Old 09-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by slammedwhitec5vert
Have fun Looks like an easy fix....... Salvage title or regular?????
Unfortunately, it does have a salvage title...
Old 09-02-2006, 08:05 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Hate to give bad news, but if that car was totaled and declared so by the insurance co, you will never get it registered in CT, no matter how perfect you do the repairs. Once it's declared a total, new CT law says it can never again be registered in the state. Look the rules up in the CT DMV site
Old 09-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Kanmer
I think its great that you are willing to put so much effort into achieving you goal and fulfilling a dream. You will appreciate that car more than if you bought it whole. Check out C5 Parts For Sale section. THere are frequently guys parting out cars. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Bob
Bob, thanks. I know it'll be project and it looks bad now, but it's nothing that can't be done. I wouldn't have bought it if I thought otherwise. I'll post pics of the whole process and the after.
Konrad
Old 09-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Hate to give bad news, but if that car was totaled and declared so by the insurance co, you will never get it registered in CT, no matter how perfect you do the repairs. Once it's declared a total, new CT law says it can never again be registered in the state. Look the rules up in the CT DMV site
That's actually not true. All it has to do is go through the CT DMV inspection (safety, repairs, receipts etc.) and it's completely OK to register it. The title will come back rebuilt. No biggy. I've done it before.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:08 PM
troy144
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Hmmm. Uh-oh.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:14 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

I don't mean to rain on your parade but do you realize how much it is going to cost to get the car fixed? I know you said you are going to try do most of the work yourself but parts alone will be a major expense. Are you sure the frame damage is repairable?

If you are approaching this as a project car and you are in no hurry to get it done then have fun. However if you were looking to pick up a Corvette cheap and be driving ASAP (which it what it sounds like to me), I am not sure if I would have gone this route. I would guesstimate parts and labor will run at least 10K. There are running Vettes out there to be had for around 20K that don't come with a salvage title.

Having said all that I do wish you luck. You ceratinly have your work cut out for you. Keep us posted with your progress...

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought it, smashed! (pics)

Old 09-02-2006, 08:27 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Konrad
That's actually not true. All it has to do is go through the CT DMV inspection (safety, repairs, receipts etc.) and it's completely OK to register it. The title will come back rebuilt. No biggy. I've done it before.
Does the title have a "salvage" stamp on it? If so, go to the DMV site and do a search under "salvage" The process is not as easy as it once was. Work now on a car with "salvage" must have work done by a licensed repair shop. Lot's of stuff to do. Just advising you to again check all the details before you get too much money in the project - a lot of the rules are recent ones. Just trying to help
Old 09-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Konrad
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '16

The salvage repair process I've done 2 years ago on a Maxima. It's not as bad as you're making it sound. You probably won't believe it, but it'll be on the road within 3 weeks. I wouldn't have done something like this if I din't know what I'm getting my self into. Seems like, most of the replies I'm getting go something like "do you know what you got yourself into" and the answer is yes. Let's keep it on the positive. You guys are supposed to keep me up in spirit, hence the thread. Enjoy.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:14 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who took a wrecked sports car that sat in the Arizona desert for a dozen years and transformed it into a 1st Place Best in Class trophy winner for the last three years running, I wish you all the luck you will be needing and then some. I spent three years and did all the work myself, but there was no frame damage, at least. So, I am very interested in seeing what you are capable of doing with that car, in just three weeks!! I think you may be a little optimistic on the time frame, considering you don't even have your parts lined up yet!! You go, boy, GO!

Quick Reply: Just bought it, smashed! (pics)