Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Six Shooter Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:43 AM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering if people who are experiencing the shifter rattle are from people who are using the stock shift ****, or a **** that uses the T-retainer. When tapping the T-retainer back in place (like the instructions say) some of us may be using too much force and deforming the socket bushings, creating enough slop for the rattle to occur. My T-retainer didn't go back in easy.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I rode in my buddy Mike's (illmac77) H/C '04 Z06 and his new 6 shooter rattled bad enough that he commented on it.

I'm glad I went w/ my C6 Z06 shifter.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:23 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have heard a lot of rattling issues over the board and a couple cars in person. I am glad I went with my C6 Z as well.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:49 PM
XFordGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reese@MTI RACING
Hey guys, I wanted to chime in with an official responce.

We are getting a lot of varied feedback and it does'nt seem to have rhyme or reason.

Some shifters rattle, some do not.

Please note, I have driven lots of new C6 Z06's and bone stock THEY rattle!

GM went to a shorter throw, less free play design with the C6 and the noise/vibration is a by-product of making the shifter less of a damper.

It is consistant with the Six Shooter that the noise does settle down upon break-in.

Some report that it goes away all together, some not entirely.

Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet. When you replace something rubbery with something that is precise and with less free play it only follows that the device can transmit more noise or vibration.

The Six Shooter Shifter was born out of a desire to find a precise, fast, low effort shift mechanism when none existed in the market place. It is a very good piece and we are still trying to improve it.

We have sold tons of these and the responce is overwhelmingly great.

We appreciate your feed back and will continue to try to make the Six Shooter Shifter the BEST Corvette shifter on the market.

Reese
I drove 3 different C6 Z06s at Spring Mountain Motorsports in November. None of them rattled. I must be lucky.

How do you explain that a C5 Z06 whose shifter made no noise at all rattles like crazy with a 6 shooter, but is silent when a C6 Z06 shifter is installed?

I won't even get into how you can justify not refunding the purchase price of the shifter to the "rare few" who have this issue.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 PM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is much ado about nothing. I had a Hurst and a BPP shifter and they both rattled. My MTI rattled. I wrapped the stick below my **** and under the boot with a 1-1/4" dia. pc. of rubber and cut a 3/8' thk. rubber pad to cover the stock block-off plate. It is now quieter than my stock shifter was, shifts tighter and feels way better. I challenge anybody to know it's there without taking the console apart. The vibration from the driveline has to go somewhere and if you don't have something to dampen the harmonics, you're going to hear it...
Old 02-01-2007, 01:46 PM
NeverT00Fast
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TOOGECKO
I think this is much ado about nothing. I had a Hurst and a BPP shifter and they both rattled. My MTI rattled. I wrapped the stick below my **** and under the boot with a 1-1/4" dia. pc. of rubber and cut a 3/8' thk. rubber pad to cover the stock block-off plate. It is now quieter than my stock shifter was, shifts tighter and feels way better. I challenge anybody to know it's there without taking the console apart. The vibration from the driveline has to go somewhere and if you don't have something to dampen the harmonics, you're going to hear it...
Yah, and I can also wear some ear muffs and it'll be quieter than my stock shifter. Bottom line is that this shifther is ALOT louder than my B&M which is one of loudest aftermarket shifter. If I have to wrap the shaft in rubber after I just spent $200 on a shifter just to make it tolerable, it've should've been told to the buyers and should've been included with the shifter. And I'm still wondering about this 1000 mile break in period theory.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
thkauffman
Race Director

Location: It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Alto MI

Does anybody know if MTI is even selling the Six Shooter anymore? I can't find it on their website. Do I even have the right website?

Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 AM
thkauffman
Race Director

Location: It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Alto MI

TTT

Anybody?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:45 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Website is http://www.mtiracing.com. I just talked to Reese. They're in the process of redesigning the shifter to try to address the vibration issues. He said it would be a few months.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:13 PM
thkauffman
Race Director

Originally Posted by SeaLawyer
Website is http://www.mtiracing.com. I just talked to Reese. They're in the process of redesigning the shifter to try to address the vibration issues. He said it would be a few months.
Thanks!!

Quick Reply: MTI Six Shooter Question