Sponsored by:

Shock Absorber Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 PM
VETSTYL
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shock Absorber Test

How do you know when you NEED new shocks?

I know I want new shocks based purely on performance upgrade mods but I don't know if I NEED them. I have 95k on original stocks and just by that I think it's "time" but I don't "feel" based on driving conditions that I NEED new shocks.

Just purchased 04 Z06 sway bars and plan on buying 04 Z06 shocks next week.

Is there any kind of rule of thumb, etc.?
Old 03-03-2007, 02:57 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

At 95K you need new shocks!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:23 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Yup...time for new ones
Old 03-03-2007, 03:40 PM
BanditDude
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very long time ago, I was told to push down on one corner a few times to get it oscillating...then let go. If it doesn't stop w/in ~ one cycle, you need new shocks. It's not a very scientific method, and I wouldn't recommend trying that on an SMC/urethane car.

Besides, I'm sure that you need new ones by now.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:00 PM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditDude

A very long time ago, I was told to push down on one corner a few times to get it oscillating...then let go. If it doesn't stop w/in ~ one cycle, you need new shocks. It's not a very scientific method, and I wouldn't recommend trying that on an SMC/urethane car.

Besides, I'm sure that you need new ones by now.
That is how I used to adjust steady riders at Sears way back when. You can't do that today. Why? Try to push down on your vette & get it "bouncing". Kinda hard to do because of the stiffness of the suspension. Today if there is no visible oil leaks, it is hard to tell if shocks are bad. One good way is to see if your tires are cupping in any way. If you hit a bump, any vibration in the steering wheel. Any hard turning and the car leans more than normal (kinda hard to do if you don't really know your car). What ever you do, DO NOT replace with cheap shocks. No gabrials, monroe's, or any other Gas shock. Bilstein, koni, KBY are the best choice for replacement
Old 03-03-2007, 05:48 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its had to tell when you need new shocks when you get use to your old shocks slowly wearing out. As a good rule of thumb (IMO) I would replace any factory shock around 40K to 50K miles. I replaced my shocks with only 30K on the clock and it was one of the best mods I have done. I went from the stock z51 shocks to Bilstein HD shocks. They are slightly firmer than stock but they control the car much better; less wheel hop, corners little better, interstate overpass much improved. Now once you put a quality aftermarket shock on (IMO) you will be able to go longer before you need another replacement (75K? maybe more).

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Absorber Test

Quick Reply: Shock Absorber Test