mr-z
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the looks of the Viper thats ALL.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:52 AM
LinearX
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a modding stand point, the stock bottom end in pre-2000 (I think) Vipers is all forged. There have been some guys post up big HP numbers and killer time slips with stock bottom ends. There have been some 9 second time slips with 100% internally stock, stock headed engines.

I'd have one if I could afford the payment and insurace for what I'm paying for the Z06 and insurance for it. They're neat cars for sure, but I'm more than pleased with my Z06.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Dvau11484
Well i am not exactly looking to buy a Viper. Just curious what people thought about them who have had the oppertunity to drive one.
My brother bought a new Blue/White GTS back in 97. I've driven it many times, its a cool ride that attracts a ton of attention. He still has it and it currently has about 40k on the clock.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think both are great cars that merit a lot of respect. I love awesome sports cars and the Z06 satiates me in spades and I would love to be able to own a Viper (especially the 600hp) version some day.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:44 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by briann510
I love my 03 Z06 BUT.....

My right leg roasts (and my wifes left leg) on any day where the outside temps are 75+ degrees and im cruising in traffic or on the freeway on any trips to the point I usually lay somne heat sheeting next to the console. The Z06 has a horrible heat problem transferring through the tunnel area into passenger area.
Huh?

Anything longer than 45 min drive is uncomfortable as heck in the stock Z06 seats. My wife and I dont take the car if we know we will have to be sitting in it for more than an hour at a time (sure you can take rest stops, but sometimes you just wanna drive straight through and our other cars are WAY more comfortable).
Huh? I drove from Georgia to NY in my Z and and granted it wasn't like being in a big lincoln but I was plenty comfortable. For a race car, I find it to be VERY comfortable.

I dont use the A/H or T/C on the Z06 as ive almost totalled the car with that coming on when I least expected it to, so I dont even compare vs Viper in not having that feature.).
Double Huh?!?

and my Z's trunk compartment cooks anything thats inside there.
Another huh?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

BTW, in terms of straight line performance, how do all the previous generation Vipers compare to C5Z's, specifically?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:25 AM
nmp27
Pro

Anything longer than 45 min drive is uncomfortable as heck in the stock Z06 seats.
Ouch....

I make some frequent 350+ mile trips and sometimes dont even stop, no beef with the seats.. but my 2000 did seem to have a bit more comfort to them..
Old 04-12-2007, 02:48 AM
DesertLS6
Instructor

Originally Posted by brian510

Anything longer than 45 min drive is uncomfortable as heck in the stock Z06 seats
I drove 900 miles in 11 hours with no issues whatsoever in my Z06, it was just fine, and I only stopped for gas.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:08 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess im just used to sitting in REALLY comfortable cars when traveling and comparing those to a sports/performance car like the Z06. They really arent complaints for the type of car it is and how its driven, just some quirks of mine.

Its all good!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 AM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z every time. Viper is a dog compared to a Z.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:59 PM
KBRVETTE93
Pro

Default Heat Problem ?

I love my 03 Z06 BUT.....

My right leg roasts (and my wifes left leg) on any day where the outside temps are 75+ degrees and im cruising in traffic or on the freeway on any trips to the point I usually lay somne heat sheeting next to the console. The Z06 has a horrible heat problem transferring through the tunnel area into passenger area.

Anything longer than 45 min drive is uncomfortable as heck in the stock Z06 seats. My wife and I dont take the car if we know we will have to be sitting in it for more than an hour at a time (sure you can take rest stops, but sometimes you just wanna drive straight through and our other cars are WAY more comfortable).

I dont use the A/H or T/C on the Z06 as ive almost totalled the car with that coming on when I least expected it to, so I dont even compare vs Viper in not having that feature.

Viper/Z06 are targets for jealous people parked anywhere. Keying and what not are common problems, so if we know we are going somewhere overnight we take a different car. Our Z06 fell into our lap when my brother in law was tired of it and gave it to us at 10K below blue book so I grabbed it, otherwise id be driving a Viper.

Both the Viper and Z06 are killer cars, but the big tumbs up on crowd appeal, showing off the car and such goes to the Vipers. Id trade my Z06 for a Viper if one came along in the color/stripe scheme I liked. I personally like driving a car that you dont see a whole lot of them on trhe roads and again the Viper wins hands down around here on that. C5/C6 Z06's, plain C5's and C6's are a dime a dozen around here. Vipers are not so common.

They both have the plus and minuses, but I give the looks to the Viper, the cosmetics workmanship to the Z, and neither one manages heat off the engine very well into pasenger compartment and my Z's trunk compartment cooks anything thats inside there.

You have a very strange automobile. Never had T/C "come on" when least expected (on or off track). My advise...Get rid of the vette... fast... cheap. You can't afford not to. I may be interested.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:22 PM
02bpdz06
Pro

Originally Posted by rbartick
I'd take a Gen II GTS or an SRT-10 over a C5 Z06.
If the pricing was similar!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:32 PM
ace67
Racer

If you are short you can buy a Viper i wanted one bad a few years back but i couldnt fit in one and iam 6.3 so if youre a dwarf these cars maybe for you but not for tall Vikings ;-) and the finish is ridiculus its like a kitcar so i would pass. I rather buy a new Z06, single supra or Skyline R34 GTR or even a Porsche turbo before i consider the viper due to its lacking quality and its heat issues.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:37 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My lightly modded Z06 was just barely faster at SIR than a GTS putting down almost 100 more RWHP and had misc other aftermarket upgraded goodies. Was it cause I was the better driver, I like to think so...

I had all but admitted defeat before even hitting the track - obviously a mistake and I now hold my "humble" Z06 in even higher regard.

Last edited by jbauch357; 04-12-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
gymtitan
Racer

Originally Posted by ace67
If you are short you can buy a Viper i wanted one bad a few years back but i couldnt fit in one and iam 6.3 so if youre a dwarf these cars maybe for you but not for tall Vikings ;-) and the finish is ridiculus its like a kitcar so i would pass. I rather buy a new Z06, single supra or Skyline R34 GTR or even a Porsche turbo before i consider the viper due to its lacking quality and its heat issues.

Try being 275lbs and fit into a Viper just not very comfortable. I drove one before making my decision on my 2nd vette and it was fun to drive for about 5 min.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Mr. Azrael
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Ive had into the dealer several times asking why the heat tranfer problem to the tunnel area. each dealer told me its a common problem and of the 4 other Z's ive been in they all had the heat problem.

Now granted I drive my car really hard in city/freeway driving and the rpms are never below 4K in town in whatever gear im in and I very rarely use 6th on the freeways, even when cruising, so the heat buildup is there. Its just something I learned to live with and adapt some heat sheeting to. Its a common area to roast eveything in the center consolealso. Ive seen countless threads on this heat transfer issue also.
It is funny that I am in San Diego now and the wife and I took the Z06 on the 5 hour (usually 7.5 hour) trip down from Belmont (30 mins outside of San Francisco). Driving in the Z was one of the most comfortable road trips I have taken and I had a cold to boot. I have made this drive in a Camaro SS, Crown Victoria, Ford F150, and now the Z06.

Opinions vary, but we did not have any heat problems with the tranny tunnel in the car; then again I had it in 6th gear and made it down on one tank of gas (filled up in Buttonwillow with more than half a tank remaining, and still had more than half a tank when we got here in "Sandy Ego").

Opinions vary I suppose.

EDIT: BTW my wife slept from Buttonwillow until the San Diego County line, and I woke her up when I turned on the Navigation GPS so I wouldn't get lost. Although granted my wife is 5' 3" and could slide the passenger seat forward kick off her shoes and recline...

Last edited by Mr. Azrael; 04-12-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I somewhat agree with Brian510 on some of the Z issues. I drove to and from LA and the trans tunnel got pretty hot. But overall, the ride was very comfortable.

Also, anything I put in the trunk (I have a partition) gets heated. Not a big deal unless I put something frozen back there.

And don't get me started on the AH crap - man this thing can be dangerous. I've had my AH pulsate my front brakes at 80mph after hitting a small pothole on the highway . After that episode, the first thing I do is start the car, and turn off TC/AH.

That said - I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Dodge Viper vs C5 Zo6

Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 492 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
Huh?

Huh? I drove from Georgia to NY in my Z and and granted it wasn't like being in a big lincoln but I was plenty comfortable. For a race car, I find it to be VERY comfortable.

Double Huh?!?

Another huh?
I hav no idea what he was saying either.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 492 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
My brother bought a new Blue/White GTS back in 97. I've driven it many times, its a cool ride that attracts a ton of attention. He still has it and it currently has about 40k on the clock.
How would that cars speed and handling compare to a 01-04 Z06 ?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Stock for stock it has more power than a Z06. Not sure about the handling limits because I never really tried to bank high speed turns in it. Here is a dyno run done with a K&N drop-in filter and a Corsa cat-back.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dodge Viper vs C5 Zo6