Sponsored by:

Wierd!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 AM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd!!

I got in the car last night and drove it about 10 miles. All the way the DIC was screamin "Service Stability System, Service ABS, Service Traction Control." I stopped for 10 minutes and got back in the car and drove home. No warning codes or messages on the way home. Wierd. Anyone else had that happen? Should I expect it to reoccur?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

This happened to my '02. The warning indictors would turn on and off intermittently for several months. Finally the warnings stayed on. Brought the car to a dealer. They replaced the EBCM module. Found the part on the internet for $500 less than the dealer quoted. The dealer matched the internet price.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 AM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankfully, no, that has not happened to me.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:52 AM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that happened to me the day i bought my car. an hour earlier it had started to snow and sleet. i was on my way out of town (thank god) to st louis and had to go up a hill that leads to the highway. of course the car hated that idea and the traction control/AH went crazy as i fought my way up the slippery hill.

near the top, that message came on the dic. i kinda freaked out alittle thinking i had already broke something on this car i just bought 2 hours ago. i reset it and kept going and the system was still working fine which i felt a few times while going through the slush.

when i turned to car back on after a gas stop the message was not there anymore and has never returned. i guess i just upset it that day and what it was really trying to say is stop driving me through the snow you idiot!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:58 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

I've only had my car since September and didn't drive it much during the winter. However, when it was cold out this happened to me twice. After stopping and restarting the car, it went away. It has not happened in the past few months, so I'm hoping it won't happen again.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 PM
67weaver
Burning Brakes

That has happened to me twice I think. But both times it happened it was right after a snow storm, so I think that had something to do with it. If it happens again I'll let you know
Old 04-25-2007, 12:16 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really need to pull the DIC codes to see what the issue was. It is likely a connector issue to one of the wheel sensors (very common) and may need further action to prevent from happening again (cleaning connector contacts, repair frayed connector wire, etc.). It could also be the EBCM complaining so you should check the codes to be sure.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:16 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Check the sticky about electrical/grounding. The ground points can get a little (very little) corroded and the PCM to think there are real problems. I cleaned mine and my messages stopped, thought I was going to have to replace the wheel speed sensors and such and it was just the ground point had corroded a little.

So, check that out before spending hundreds of dollars
Old 04-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Evil One
Advanced

It happened to mine and shortly after that at highway speed it would jerk the steering wheel sharp to the left and scared the **** out of me. This happened a couple of times before I could take it in to get fixed. Wouldn't happen with traction control turned off. It was a steering wheel position sensor and hasn't happened since.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:45 PM
mythirdwish
Instructor

Originally Posted by JC in XTC5
You really need to pull the DIC codes to see what the issue was. It is likely a connector issue to one of the wheel sensors (very common) and may need further action to prevent from happening again (cleaning connector contacts, repair frayed connector wire, etc.). It could also be the EBCM complaining so you should check the codes to be sure.
Mine had the same issues... Root cause corrosion on left front abs sensor connector/cleaned ,dielectric grease and problem corrected...sometimes you get luckey!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
04cad
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Default sort of

I had a similar issue on my C4. It usually happened after I had spun the wheels either intentionally or in gravel or road sand, it would usually reset by itself in a bit or when the car was turned off and then restarted. I always figured it was telling me that the active handling system had been activated. Good luck with yours....
Old 04-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Ishams00vette
Race Director

Not I said the blind man!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
HawnHog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to mine twice after I drove thru a puddle. Dealer found a loose/wet connection. Hasn't happened since.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My guess is that it was a transitory failure that caused the captions. they'll stay lit until you turn the car off. When you restart, if the fault has cleared the ABS/AH will reset and no more problem.

Could be any component of the system (EBCM, BPMV or wheel sensor) that caused the glitch.

Any DIC codes? That may tie it down.

In my case it started that way. Normally came on when I was sitting at the lights. It threw a C1214H code. Turned out to be a bad voltage on the EBCM. They swapped it out and it never reocurred.

Last edited by DeeGee; 04-25-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:27 AM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Thanks fellows. It's great to have a resource like this to get answers to your questions.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 PM
03newjersey
Instructor

I had the same situation a year ago. Everytime I drove on a certain off-ramp and over a certain bump the same three warning indicators came on and did not reappear when the vehicle was restarted. Also when I use to powerwash the wheels the same three warning indicators came on and did not reappear when the vehicle was restarted. But after a few months the same three indicator lights came on and stayed on for good. The code C1214H came up when I pulled the codes off the DIC. After extensive research on this forum and the C5 Tech forum I did the following. I removed the EBCM myself and sent it to Brandon Hite at ABSFIXER.COM and he repaired it and sent it back to me via overnite delivery and it worked fine ever since. The cost was $158.00 compared to a new EBCM for $400-$500 that may have the same problem. ABSFIXER.COM guarantees their work for as long as you own your car. You can find a lot of posts on the EBCM problem but you have to check your codes to see what your solution could be.

Goodluck
Old 04-27-2007, 02:01 PM
filmelf
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'08

ECBM--there is a long list of owners who have had to replace one.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Allzwell
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

A very low battery can cause this also, driving for a ways may have restored a charge and so it did not repeat. This is the best of all possibilities.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Wierd!!

Quick Reply: Wierd!!