Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Craig Wagner
I thought the iPod uses a Li-ion battery which are, if not immune, much less susceptible to memory effect.
I thought so as well, but my wife's first IPOD developed a memory and wouldn't hold much of a charge. I haven't taken any chances and just discharge it to be on the safe side.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:06 PM
C5 RACNG
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
Did you open the door, remember the Vette has RAP for 15 mins?
good point, wazn't thinkin
Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Did you open the door, remember the Vette has RAP for 15 mins?
Wish this were true for the CD cable, but it's not. Different circuit. It is always "live," as is the cigarette lighter.

So. I still need advice on how to reroute the circuit so it turns off when the ignition goes off....or at least 15 min later.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IAIA
Wish this were true for the CD cable, but it's not. Different circuit. It is always "live," as is the cigarette lighter.

So. I still need advice on how to reroute the circuit so it turns off when the ignition goes off....or at least 15 min later.
I have no idea. Perhaps it is just best to remove the IPOD when not driving.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Rabo Karabekian
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPOD2car odd operation??

Installed mine a couple of weeks ago and have a glitch: if vehicle is powered down while ipod is playing; it will not resume upon re- entry; unless the radio is powered down, or switched to radio and back. Is this normal?
Thanks, Rabo
Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

My aux2car I ordered is being delivered today!!! I already have the PXHGM4 cable, so i'm throwing it in tonite! I'll take some pics too.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Janster
Racer

Originally Posted by Rabo Karabekian
Installed mine a couple of weeks ago and have a glitch: if vehicle is powered down while ipod is playing; it will not resume upon re- entry; unless the radio is powered down, or switched to radio and back. Is this normal?
Thanks, Rabo
I think that's a characteristic of the whole setup. Please pardon this explaination - it's on my truck.

My ipod2car in my truck doesn't resume either. When the truck is off, the ipod goes into *charge* mode. When you start the vehicle back up - the ipod sometimes wakes up (out of charge mode). If it doesn't wake up- just about any button will wake it up. It'll resume the shuffle mode and remember which song it was last playing - but it'll always be in PAUSE. I have to use the ipod controls to get it out of PAUSE. OR..... If I use the mode button on my steering wheel controls and flip through all the other radio modes (AM,FM,FM2, CD etc) and back to where it was originally (CD1) it'll start playing again without touching the ipod.

That's all I've been able to figure out.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
LCZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 128 Posts

Great post as I been wanting to hook up my IPod for a while now but I didn't know what all I needed. I didn't even know BestBuy sells the iSimple http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172880156033 as I didn't see one the last time I was at best buy. I get coupons from them all the time so i'll wait till they send me some new ones. I'll be ordering my http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=952 PXHGM4 cable tomorrow. Thanks for all the info everyone!
Old 07-30-2007, 02:54 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lccobra
Great post as I been wanting to hook up my IPod for a while now but I didn't know what all I needed. I didn't even know BestBuy sells the iSimple http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172880156033 as I didn't see one the last time I was at best buy. I get coupons from them all the time so i'll wait till they send me some new ones. I'll be ordering my http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=952 PXHGM4 cable tomorrow. Thanks for all the info everyone!
Hold the phone---er, iPod---there, lccobra! The iSimple has the cable you need IF you have a CD Changer. If you plan on plugging directly into the back of the radio, then...nevermind.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:58 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Janster
I think that's a characteristic of the whole setup. Please pardon this explaination - it's on my truck.

My ipod2car in my truck doesn't resume either. When the truck is off, the ipod goes into *charge* mode. When you start the vehicle back up - the ipod sometimes wakes up (out of charge mode). If it doesn't wake up- just about any button will wake it up. It'll resume the shuffle mode and remember which song it was last playing - but it'll always be in PAUSE. I have to use the ipod controls to get it out of PAUSE. OR..... If I use the mode button on my steering wheel controls and flip through all the other radio modes (AM,FM,FM2, CD etc) and back to where it was originally (CD1) it'll start playing again without touching the ipod.

That's all I've been able to figure out.
The setup is a little quirky, from what I can tell. Sometimes you cycle through tracks with the radio controls, and it cycles back to #1 after 3-4 tracks, as has been said. Sometimes, I've made it up to track 15 before it goes back to 1. Not sure why that is. Using the iPod controls is always the most reliable when that happens.

Restarting after leaving and returning from the car is just as said, above. Have to wake it up, and let the radio know you really mean you want the iPod by switching away and back. And, interestingly, if you unplug the iPod and leave the car but don't change the head unit to either FM/AM or the dashboard CD player, it stays on the CD Changer setting but has some annoying static if the volume is high enough.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Sorry about this trifecta post (3 in a row)......

Anyone know of a product that actually uses a mini-plug that goes into the iPod earphone jack? Seems to me that is way more useful than the bottom connector because it would be compatible with ANY mp3 player. I'd give up the functionality of being able change tracks on the radio for the ability to plug a cable into anything that has an earplug jack!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:04 PM
ScottJ97
Instructor

Sorry about this trifecta post (3 in a row)......

Anyone know of a product that actually uses a mini-plug that goes into the iPod earphone jack? Seems to me that is way more useful than the bottom connector because it would be compatible with ANY mp3 player. I'd give up the functionality of being able change tracks on the radio for the ability to plug a cable into anything that has an earplug jack!
Isn't that what the AUX2CAR does? (Perhaps only indirectly...)
Old 07-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Craig Wagner
Pro

The downside to using the headphone jack is that that signal is already amplified. You end up having to fiddle with the device volume and the HU volume to get a good balance. The dock connector on the iPod has a line-level signal, so the only device doing any amplification is the car system.

If you're using an iPod, the dock connector is the better way to go.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

My wife likes the IPOD2CAR so much that I have decided to put one in her Volvo as a surprise. The only problem is that thing is very difficult to work on. I had to take out half of the back and her subwoofer in order to get to her spare tire.

I just joined one of the volvo forums www.swedespeed.com asking for advice. Let's hope those folks are as helpful as the folks here at CF are.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ScottJ97
Isn't that what the AUX2CAR does? (Perhaps only indirectly...)
Yup. The aux2car comes with a headphone style jack to plug into any mp3 player. Came with the aux2car for FREE, from discountcarstereo.com!

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=998
Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Well, I may as well post this to the group of experts, here. Is there any way to easily override the fact that the power continues to feed to the iPod through the Peripheral interface box through the CD Changer cable? They say it's an advantage to be able to charge the iPod...that's fine for when I'm driving. But when I cut the power, overnight for example, I really don't want to keep charging the iPod. It's not good for its battery to constantly be fed juice.

Yeah, yeah...I can unplug it.

Thanks.

I see what you are saying now, it turns off, that is stops playing but there is still some power to it. When connected to the harness the LCD displays (in my case on my nano) "Charged”, since it is fully charged and there is no backlight. Once it says “Charged” it is no longer charging and the parasitic draw on the car battery is negligible and the ipod is not charging. It would probably take about 3 hrs for a car battery to charge a nano that was drained. Since mine is wired to my console I just take my ipod with me unless I know I am going to be driving the Vette.

You need to rewire the harness and find a switched power source if you want power completely cut. The radio schematics may show this. The head unit has a constant power source for the clock, anti-theft code, etc. The wire for the changer in the back goes to the head unit, so I don’t think it makes a difference where you connect it.

You can e-mail Peripheral tech support with your concern and see if they can help you. I have in the past and they respond usually with in a day.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The setup is a little quirky, from what I can tell. Sometimes you cycle through tracks with the radio controls, and it cycles back to #1 after 3-4 tracks, as has been said. Sometimes, I've made it up to track 15 before it goes back to 1. Not sure why that is. Using the iPod controls is always the most reliable when that happens.

That is just how it works, it does not have the intelligence to display that information for every type of non compatible ipod head unit out there. So there will be compromise when using the unit.

RADIO DISPLAY DURING IPOD OPERTION
Some factory radio’s may show DISC and TRACK numbers on the display of the radio. The PXDP interface does not send any information from the iPod to the radio. This means that the DISC and TRACK numbers shown on the display will not and can not reflect the song number on the iPod due to the complex nature of the music library. Some factory radio’s may flash zero’s on the display of the radio, or toggle back and forth between Tracks “1” and “2”. All these are normal behaviors and do not represent a malfunction.

Get notified of new replies

To IPOD2 Car

Old 07-30-2007, 06:58 PM
ScottJ97
Instructor

That is just how it works, it does not have the intelligence to display that information for every type of non compatible ipod head unit out there. So there will be compromise when using the unit.
We're not talking about the HU display. The HU "skip forward" button actually skips backward sometimes.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:51 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

Default Kick @ss!!!

Just got done putting the aux2car in the Z. Man this is a awesome mod! Thanks to this thread for getting me through it! Here's some pics...

aux2car w/ 3.5mm jack wire & PHXGM4 harness

Dash bezel, center console, HVAC, & stereo removed

Back of Blose Radio

The loose wire is the one you plug into the PHXGM4 harness.

I velcroed the aux2car box the this other box thing behind the HVAC.

I drilled a hole next to the ash tray and just ran the wire through that.

And here it is put back together!

It sounds great! This is definately kick @ss mod!

Question though, is this foam backing piece supposed to stick out like this? I couldn't get it to go any other way.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Craig Wagner
The downside to using the headphone jack is that that signal is already amplified. You end up having to fiddle with the device volume and the HU volume to get a good balance. The dock connector on the iPod has a line-level signal, so the only device doing any amplification is the car system.

If you're using an iPod, the dock connector is the better way to go.
Actually, to me, the disadvantage of having to set the volume on the iPod is far outweighed by the advantage of being able to use all brands of mp3 players. The iPod doesn't recharge with the aux2car....to me, that's an advantage, also, since I can just recharge it with a cigarette charger when necessary.

Quick Reply: IPOD2 Car