Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPOD2 Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:18 AM
UKXPAT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my IPOD2CAR but when the volume is up fairly loud and there's a quiet part of the song or an intro, I can hear a high pitch beeping.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to get rid of it? Is it something to do with the DIP switches?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 AM
uk_vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAIA
Please tell us how stable they are!

Looks good,
And again, how steady are they?
Thanks
Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM
ScottJ97
Instructor

Originally Posted by UKXPAT
I love my IPOD2CAR but when the volume is up fairly loud and there's a quiet part of the song or an intro, I can hear a high pitch beeping.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to get rid of it? Is it something to do with the DIP switches?
Yes I have that too. The sound you're hearing is interference from digital electronics. Since the iPod does not have this when it's used with headphones, and the Corvette CD changer did not have this problem, that leaves the iPod2Car as the culprit. The design is not properly shielded, or something like that. There's probably nothing you can do about it.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Janster
Racer

Originally Posted by ScottJ97
Yes I have that too. The sound you're hearing is interference from digital electronics. Since the iPod does not have this when it's used with headphones, and the Corvette CD changer did not have this problem, that leaves the iPod2Car as the culprit. The design is not properly shielded, or something like that. There's probably nothing you can do about it.
On the flip side.....

I have an ipod2car in my truck and I don't have that problem.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:18 AM
UKXPAT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know I'm not the only one having this problem, it's not as if it's making the unit unusable it's just slightly annoying. It also happens when the iPod is unplugged as well so it's definitely the IPOD2CAR unit.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Janster
Racer

And now that I think about it.....

It is ipod2car related....but its also corvette related.

I had the same ipod2car unit installed on my Dodge Ram. Some of the idiot lights on the dash would flash and chimes would beep & stuff. Weird.... but definately a Dodge Ram thing. Something to do with the ipod2car and the bus terminals (communication with computer).
Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 PM
ScottJ97
Instructor

Originally Posted by Janster
I had the same ipod2car unit installed on my Dodge Ram. Some of the idiot lights on the dash would flash and chimes would beep & stuff. Weird.... but definately a Dodge Ram thing. Something to do with the ipod2car and the bus terminals (communication with computer).
The iPod2Car is a hack job as far as I can tell. With my previous iPod (4th gen 20GB monochrome screen) the power on/off was flaky. I would have to turn the HU on and off about 10 times before the iPod would finally come on. With my 5th gen 30GB iPod the power on/off is reliable but track skipping is not (as discussed earlier in this thread).

This is pretty ridiculous as it tells me the problem is not with the interface to the HU but with the iPod2Car's signaling to the iPod. And other devices that control iPods do not have these issues.

Unfortunately this hack job is our best option right now.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:40 PM
ScottJ97
Instructor

Originally Posted by UKXPAT
Come to think of it, maybe it's the cable between the iPod2Car and the iPod that's picking up this interference. I have mine running from the rear, along the passenger side, behind the passenger seat, and up into the console. I think there's some extra cable coiled up under the climate control. Perhaps it's picking up something from there?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Janster
Racer

Unfortunately this hack job is our best option right now.
The demand for ipod integration is unbelievable and I'm sure their making a chitload of money from it.

It's a shame the car manufacturers didn't discover this *damand* a long time ago. They could've been reeping the benefits of this 'option' within their vehicles from the factory. I would've much rather had an OEM factory installed ipod integration anyday.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 PM
ScottJ97
Instructor

Originally Posted by Janster
It's a shame the car manufacturers didn't discover this *damand* a long time ago. They could've been reeping the benefits of this 'option' within their vehicles from the factory. I would've much rather had an OEM factory installed ipod integration anyday.
The lead time for automotive electronics is very long. It would not surprise me if the C6 radio electronics were designed before the first iPod was sold.

Which means our C5 electronics were designed in the stone ages.

Some new car designs have iPod integration. Or, more commonly, an aux input jack with a headphone plug. They call it an "MP3 jack."

Last edited by ScottJ97; 08-03-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: add emphasis
Old 08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The lead time for automotive electronics is very long. It would not surprise me if the C6 radio electronics were designed before the first iPod was sold.

Which means our C5 electronics were designed in the stone ages.

Some new car designs have iPod integration. Or, more commonly, an aux input jack with a headphone plug. They call it an "MP3 jack."
The Boes system was made just for the C5, so back in 1996 or before, a long time before MP3 palyers were around.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Please tell us how stable they are!
I'll report back here as soon as I get it.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:52 PM
uk_vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Cozmo
I should have clarified I would take $15 shipped to the US. If you want to pay the additional shipping cost to the UK, it is yours.
Hi Cozmo,

The package arrived today.
All safe and sound.
Brand new cable in there un-opened.

Just need to look out for an Ipod2car or an Aux2car

I don't quite know which way to go.
My smart phone has all the satnav on, so turn-by-turn directions will come out the phone via the aux2car if I go that way.

I also have the 1gig card in the phone for the tracks.

Thanks and all the best
Old 08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Mick_C5
Instructor

Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Originally Posted by uk_vette
Hi Cozmo,

All safe and sound.

My smart phone has all the satnav on, so turn-by-turn directions will come out the phone via the aux2car if I go that way.

Thanks and all the best
Glad everything arrived safely.

Good luck whatever way you decide to go!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:03 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi Cozmo,

All safe and sound.

Thanks and all the best
I'm having the same internal debate, UK, which I am probably repeating a bit too much in here. LOL. But I feel ya, brutha. I'm about 80% AUX2CAR so I can control the recharging, and use anything with an ear phone plug. The track changing ability through the radio is not a huge loss, to me....since it is quirky and I really don't see why I can't push a button on the iPod instead of the radio. Lemme know what you do.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

I'm having the same internal debate, UK, which I am probably repeating a bit too much in here. LOL. But I feel ya, brutha. I'm about 80% AUX2CAR so I can control the recharging, and use anything with an ear phone plug. The track changing ability through the radio is not a huge loss, to me....since it is quirky and I really don't see why I can't push a button on the iPod instead of the radio. Lemme know what you do.
Please post up what you both do.

Get notified of new replies

To IPOD2 Car

Old 08-06-2007, 02:38 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Will do, Cozmo. Another thing I'm trying to decide is the cord. It's nice to have it all tucked away, clean, and just sticking out enough to plug in the iPod....but the reality is that we all will likely want to use it in our hands fairly often....use the thumbwheel and hold the thing as designed. So, do you have a long enough cord to pull out of a hole, and then stick it back in......or have it just hanging there the whole time.....or ??? The installations I've seen don't exactly allow moving it too much unless it gets unplugged. Whaddya all think?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
uk_vette
Racer

After reading several reports about high pitch interference, when I install my PXHGM4, I will take the time to wrap all the 3 leads in strips of alluminium cooking foil.

I think the interference may be more to do with induced harmonics, as the various's cables and internal harness's all carry power to a degree.
This can be inducted into the PXHGM4.
This then could find its way into the amplifyer input to the Bose, and walla, interference.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 PM
ScottJ97
Instructor

I think the interference may be more to do with induced harmonics, as the various's cables and internal harness's all carry power to a degree.
If you heard this interference you would know this is not from alternator hum or some other power source. It is the distinct sound of digital signals.

I would say it is somewhat similar to the sound that cell phones make when placed near powered speakers. That always reminds me of Dr. Evil doing the Macarena.

Quick Reply: IPOD2 Car