Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:37 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, don't confuse Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP). EP doesn't mention anything about GM specs.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:50 PM
HawnHog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
Also, don't confuse Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP). EP doesn't mention anything about GM specs.
Hey, That's Ready Kilowatt. I am retired from the local electric utility (Hawaiian Electric) an we used Ready as our mascot.
What is he to you?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 AM
FOXMO
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Tom73
The Mobil 1 site states, for Mobil 1 oil:

Mobil 1 10W-30 exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline engines where an API certified oil is specified. It meets:

ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)
API SM/SL
GM 6094M/GM4718M

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo..._1_10W-30.aspx

Nothing said about Chrysler. Sure you looking at Mobil 1 and not one of the other "afterthoughts" they have come out with?
No confusion. Got the bottle right in front of me. Used it in my other vehicles, prior to getting the Vette in the spring. Wondering if it's OK to use in the Vette.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by FOXMO
No confusion. Got the bottle right in front of me. Used it in my other vehicles, prior to getting the Vette in the spring. Wondering if it's OK to use in the Vette.
The Mobil 1 data sheet (http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...1_10W-30.asp):

Mobil 1 10W-30 has the following builder approvals:

Chrysler MS-6395
General Motors Service Fill (Corvette) GM 4718M
General Motors Service Fill GM 6094M

Don't know why it would not show the same on the label.

tom...
Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
FOXMO
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't know, either, Tom, but it's not there.
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:25 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HawnHog
Hey, That's Ready Kilowatt. I am retired from the local electric utility (Hawaiian Electric) an we used Ready as our mascot.
What is he to you?
Retired, Southern California Edison.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by T VETTE
Here we go again

I would never use an 0w-30 oil unless I was an Ice road trucker.

Alaska maybe?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5

Don't use EP in the Vette!

As a matter of fact, I don't use EP in any of my vehicles anymore.

No problems... just didn't think it was a smart move to go that long even though it probably does not break down.

If I have to remove the filter, might as well remove the oil.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FOXMO
OK. What's the difference between GM4718M and GM6094M? 6094 can be used in LS1 engines, but not LS2 engines?
Here's an old article about GM6094M.
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000098055.cfm

Since The GF 4 spec has been released, the the GM GM6094M spec has been effectively superceded. (At least that's how I interpret it) As long as it's 4718M and GF 4, your probably covered on both counts.

Here's a list of ILSAC GF 4 oils, that GM has tested, and meet GM6094M. If an oil is not on the list, it may just mean they haven't tested it. Unfortunately they don't tell you the oils, that they tested that didn't pass, which would be very useful info.
http://216.182.211.32/techlink/image...quirements.pdf

Last edited by Greg_E; 09-10-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:28 PM
1965imp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Purple is THE best synthetic oil for the LSx motors
Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
Is the "recent info" based on specific technical facts or based on message posters that just throw out comments? Maybe you can provide links or direct quotes. Also, what oil forum are you talking about...Bob the oil guy?
Cruncher,
I am referring to BITOG. If you do a search on that forum for "+Mobil +formulation" (drop the quotes in your search) you'll find the subject has been debated almost continually for a year. Included in these threads are the results of gas chromatograph analysis done by forum members on Mobil 1.

Though out of respect for this forum's rules on posting links to other forums I won't post links, here are some direct quotes from one of these threads (poster Tom NJ):
"The new M1 EP 5W-30 SM dated Oct 2006 just came out of the G.C. and it is MOSTLY mineral oil, presumably Group III. It also contains a good slug of AN and some PAO, but little or no ester."

"I was also concerned with Mobil's apparent denial, until I looked at the G.C.s of the 15W-50 and the 5W-30 this week. We did repeat the runs and compared them to known base oils under the same conditions. I have been interpreting G.C. graphs of lubricants for over 30 years and have no doubt on these analyses. From what I am reading here it appears that Mobil is giving mixed signals themselves, and it is quite possible that they do not share specific formulation information with their sales & customer service folks beyond the party line "full synthetic". Pretty common in business."

In answer to your question about not being able to find info on AMSOIL's basestock on their website, check the FAQ section or do a search on their website for PAO. You'll find the following info:

"Currently, each AMSOIL lubricant is formulated with the synthetic base oil or combination of base oils best suited to that lubricant’s application demands. They are optimized using the most advanced premium synthetic base oils. Although AMSOIL has publicly stated that its XL motor oils are Group III based and its other motor oils are PAO based, specific formulary information beyond that is exclusive and proprietary. AMSOIL views synthetic base oils the same as it views additives. Each has its unique set of properties, and AMSOIL, based on its extensive experience, combines them differently for superior performance in any given application or operating condition (gasoline, diesel, racing, transmission, gear, extended drain, extreme temperature, etc.)."

My own personal conclusions from spending way too much time reading about this stuff; AMSOIL's XL line is Group III, AMSOIL's SAE and Series 2000/3000 lines are predominantly Group IV with a portion of Group V, Mobil 1 is predominantly Group III with a portion of Group IV.

Some might find this recent patent by ExxonMobil interesting:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20060211581.html

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by vincentjames501
This is a controversial subject. You'd be best just to use Mobil 1 synthetic as the owners manual suggests. IMO of course.
Just follow owners manual and you'll be fine.

But....

If you want and if it makes ya feel better, I can sell ya come Amzoil for $50/can. Just send me a Western Union Moneygram for $600 and I'll get a case in the mail to you tomorrow...

Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Sounds like we may be talking apples and oranges here. First quote is refering to EP or the Mobil 1 Extended Performance, which most all here say to not use in the Vette.
Originally Posted by Subdriver
(poster Tom NJ):
"The new M1 EP 5W-30 SM dated Oct 2006 just came out of the G.C. and it is MOSTLY mineral oil, presumably Group III. It also contains a good slug of AN and some PAO, but little or no ester."
Not sure but the second quote may be by the same person but it does not state specificly what Mobil 1 product he was referencing. But any way he references 15W-50 which is NOT a Vette oil and does not meet the GM 4718M spec. Since he mentions it in the same line as the 5W-30 I would be inclined to believe that he is was not looking at GM 4718M spec oils. My guess would be they were looking at EP, like in the other quote, or one of the other Mobil 1 oils such as Clean 5000, Clean 7500, or Clean High Mileage, none of which are Vette oils.
"I was also concerned with Mobil's apparent denial, until I looked at the G.C.s of the 15W-50 and the 5W-30 this week. We did repeat the runs and compared them to known base oils under the same conditions.
And in the AMSOIL's quote from their web site, I love this part:
Although AMSOIL has publicly stated that its XL motor oils are Group III based and its other motor oils are PAO based, specific formulary information beyond that is exclusive and proprietary.
So they are not going to tell us anything.

tom...

Quick Reply: Best Oil