Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The saga continues....

Old 10-16-2007, 08:40 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Default The saga continues....

I posted several weeks ago how the Dealer said I blew up the BCM in my '02 Z by using the "Accessory Power Connector" located behind the passenger toe board. The original thread is here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1809139

I filed a formal Service Request with GM's Customer Care Center seeking to be reimbursed for the cost of replacement. Of course, the Rep was all apologetic for my troubles (as best as I could tell through the thick accent) and promised me he'd research it and he - or the Regional GM Service Manager - would get back to me later that week (I filed the request on a Monday) or, at the very latest, the following Monday. Well surprise surprise. The following Monday came and went and no call. So I called the Rep back on Tuesday and left a voice mail (of course the voice mail prompt said I could expect a call back within 24 hours). 24 hours later and nothing.

So I called back, this time requesting a different Rep to help me. Once again, apologies came flowing for my inconvenience and was told they'd get to the bottom of it but needed a "few days" to investigate and get back to men. By now, dear reader, I'm sure you realize that I never received a call back. As a matter of fact, another week went by so I called again, this time demanding to escalate this to a supervisor. A person came on the line, identifying themselves as a Customer Care Supervisor and asked for a few minutes to review the file. Before the Supervisor put me on hold, I explained I felt like I have been shuffled around and ignored in the hopes I'd simply go away. The Supervisor (of course) promised me that GM is concerned with every one of its customers.. "Riiiggghhtttt".. I thought to myself.

A few minutes later, the Supervisor came back on the line stating that the Regional Manager had not yet responded to the Customer Care Center's request and they (the Center) was still waiting. I stated that I found it pretty unbelievable that a Regional Service Manager would ignore a request from another department within the company. Once more, apolgies were offered and a promise of a call back in 2 days was given... Uhhhhh. fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...

I told the Supervisor that if I didn't receive a call back within the promised period that I would "escalate this".

Shock of shocks! The Supervisor called back the very next day! Woohoo!!!! Now we're getting somewhere!

Except the Supervisor told me the Regional Service Manager denied by claim because the servicing Dealer said it was my fault. I explained that I had spoken with the Dealership's Service Supervisor, Service Manager and the actual Tech who worked on my Z and they all said I had wired things exactly as the manual said to, therefore I was only following what GM said to do. How could that be my fault. The Supervisor once more apologized and said there was nothing she could do. I told her the situation was simple - either the Dealer or the Service Manager was lying and that I was not going to let this go. With that, our conversation ended.

I went to the Better Business Bureau's website and found that GM participates in their arbitration program. So I filed a formal complaint that same day (this was a Wednesday). After filing my complaint on the web, I was informed that I'd be sent a pack by snail mail within 5 to 7 days to complete the process (so I could attach copies of the service invoice from the Dealer, proof of payment, etc).

That Friday I received a phone call from someone identifying themselves as with GM's Customer Resolution Center and that she was calling regarding my BBB complaint. Sie also pointed out that hers was a different department from "regular" Customer Care" (I figured that meant she had an office instead on being a cubical with the rest of the Customer Care Reps). After giving her the history of this issue (which by this point happened more than 4 weeks ago) and after "reading my file" she promised me "immediate action" and that, come Hell or highwater, she'd call back on Tuesday, as Monday was Columbus Day). I thanked her and told her I looked forward to a resolution to this issue. Well... Tuesday came and went with no call. So I left her a voice mail on Wednesday. No response. I left another voice mail on Friday. No response. As a final effort I left one last voice mail for her yesterday (on Monday). No response.

So.. I have now filed a 2nd complaint with the BBB. GM or no GM, if this is not resolved by the end of this week, I'm filing suit against the Dealer & GM (already talked to a lawyer who'll take in on a contingency basis)

And you can damn well bet the suit is going to include punitive damages. Not that $500 is all that much but it's now the principle of the thing.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 PM
oaks99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best of luck , i had to deal with customer service on a window motor on my 99 vert 2 years ago and was very pleased with the help and service i recieved , no problems and 100 % refund for the motor and labor

oak
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

The next chapter....

Finally got a return call from the GM District Manager for my area (whose name Matt Mindy) on Monday (10/22). Based on his questions like "How did you get my number?" and "you should follow channels.", it was obvious to me from the start that I was already under this guy's skin and he wasn't going to be terribly cooperative. I wasn't disappointed.

He wanted me to make a photocopy of the relevant owner's manual section regarding the use of the connector and drop that off, along with documentation showing the connections I made and a copy of the repair invoice, at the servicing dealer. I asked him "you mean an authorized Chevy dealer wouldn't have a recent owner's manual on hand and doesn't have a copy of the invoice already?". He wasn't amused, yet I knew he was trying to bust my chops over this. Fine, I'll play his game. So I delivered everything he asked for to the dealer bright and early the next morning (Tuesday). While there I reiterated to the dealer's service manager that he was going to provide me, in writing, that they had determined I made the connections exactly as the owner's manual had specified. I left with that letter.

Late the next day (today - Wednesday), I received a call from Matt Mindy, who was at the dealership (I could tell from the caller ID). He said that after carefully examining the issue, he had decided to decline my request for reimbursement. I asked on what grounds and he stated (I'm paraphrasing here) "Your car is too old to be under warranty and you didn't check with the dealer before installing your radio, which the owner's manual clearly says to do". I responded by asking him how he knew I hadn't checked with a dealer and where does it state in the manual I must check with the dealer who ultimately does the repair prior to installing a CB radio? I further pointed out to him that the manual SPECIFICALLY mentions (and this is a direct cut and paste quote from the manual):

"The accessory power plug can be used to connect electrical equipment such as a cellular phone or CB radio. It is located behind the carpeting, on the passenger’s side toe-board, at the top left corner near the body control module. Be sure to follow the installation instructions included with the equipment."

I finally pointed out that the manual CLEARLY shows that it is intended that the connector be used for a CB radio. He refused to budge, so I thanked him for his time and to expect that this wasn't going away.

I have since identified his immediate boss as the General Motors Western Regional General Manager Susan Docherty. But I'm going to sit on this info for the moment...

After consulting with an attorney about this (who was amazed Matt Mindy would take this position as in his opinion, this is a slam dunk case.) So much, he's going to take in on a contingency basis. A demand letter is being sent directly to GM within the next few days.

I'll keep you posted as I can...
Old 10-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Atascadero_Kid
Instructor

I assume you have a GM extended warranty.
Next question is, how was it determined that hooking up your CB to the power outlet fried the BCM?
Have you tried hooking up your CB, or better yet, having the dealer hook up your CB to the power outlet and see what happens?
Now, the third item is for future reference.
Whenever an item like a BCM, or any major fault occurs on your 'Vette, disconnect ALL non factory equipment before taking it in for service, and then just play dumb. The important thing is never give them info that might lead them to denying your claim. They are the "experts", let them figure it out.
Saves having to play the corporate hassle.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:03 AM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

What a PITA!
Good luck,I can't imagine a lawyer spending much time on this,but good for you...
Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Tokuzumi
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I. Hate. Dealers. I don't think anyone can prove to me there is a honest dealer anywhere on this country.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 AM
JustForFun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi

I. Hate. Dealers. I don't think anyone can prove to me there is a honest dealer anywhere on this country.
im the Asst Service Manager at a dealership thats probably about 15miles or so from you and can promise you theres honest dealers out there...matter of fact at our dealership, the owner the service manager, the parts manager, the paintshop manager and me all own vettes.....but not just with vettes we try to go above and beyond to help the customer.

now...with that said....if the car is more then 6 years old, or 60k miles..ANY AND ALL warranty work...is out of the dealers hands. Warranty at that point lies in the hands of the regional service manger.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck

Chuck
Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Tokuzumi

They are few, and far between
Old 10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

The issue is not whether or not dealers are honest, etc. As a matter of fact, the dealer I've been working with has been on my side.

The issue is one of a GM owner's manual saying it's ok to do something and, when you do that something, it costs $500 to repair the damage. And GM's own engineers say "oh yea, that will happen".

THAT is the issue here, not warranty and not the dealer
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Geez!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Luck and keep us posted
Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Bethlehem Bob
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

Why is this GM's fault? If I am correct, the car is out of warranty, you wired something aftermarket into the system......either correctly or incorrectly, and now you want them to take responsibilty. I've had GM warrant a vehicle well after the warranty expired because they felt the problem should not have happened......it is called "good will policy". But I'm not sure that something like this would or should apply. Because they are not willing warrant your problem isn't a reason to rant a dealership or GM for that matter.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:41 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bethlehem Bob
Why is this GM's fault? If I am correct, the car is out of warranty, you wired something aftermarket into the system......either correctly or incorrectly, and now you want them to take responsibilty. I've had GM warrant a vehicle well after the warranty expired because they felt the problem should not have happened......it is called "good will policy". But I'm not sure that something like this would or should apply. Because they are not willing warrant your problem isn't a reason to rant a dealership or GM for that matter.
Let's see here... the owner's manual SPECIFICALLY says to use a SPECIFIC connector in the vehicle for a SPECIFIC use. And when you use that connector, it causes damage to the vehicle. The dealer verifies you wired that connector as per the manual (in other words, "correctly") and they check with GM Engineering who says "Oh yea. If you use that connector, you'll cause the damage that happened".

And you don't think GM is responsible?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:59 AM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck, I hope you stick it to them.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:08 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Let's see here... the owner's manual SPECIFICALLY says to use a SPECIFIC connector in the vehicle for a SPECIFIC use. And when you use that connector, it causes damage to the vehicle. The dealer verifies you wired that connector as per the manual (in other words, "correctly") and they check with GM Engineering who says "Oh yea. If you use that connector, you'll cause the damage that happened".

And you don't think GM is responsible?
Although I agree that you should probably get it taken care of by GM I think what he's saying is "There is a warranty period for a reason, it's a shame the owner before you didn't hook his CB up and toast it while it was under warranty... Now you have a dead car and no reason for anyone to fix it besides the fact that you apparently hooked up your electronic device correctly"
Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

And on it goes with "The Big Three"....you'd think common sense might help consumer relations in a clear cut case such as this. Fascinates me year after year but I have no empathy for the domestics being "skunked" by the Honda, Toyota, and Hyundais'

Get notified of new replies

To The saga continues....

Old 10-25-2007, 12:10 PM
LDB C5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 10-25-2007, 12:15 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iced98lx
Although I agree that you should probably get it taken care of by GM I think what he's saying is "There is a warranty period for a reason, it's a shame the owner before you didn't hook his CB up and toast it while it was under warranty... Now you have a dead car and no reason for anyone to fix it besides the fact that you apparently hooked up your electronic device correctly"
After 2 phone conversations with the guy, let's just say I got the impression he's convinced of his superiority

Catch my drift?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Good luck, keep pressing them but be nice. GM as with anyone like to play the law of averages as most people will give up only a few will continue the fight.

I had something similar with my GMC in which I did the repairs under warranty and asked for reimbursement of the part only, actually sent them the defective part back, they denied my claim, sent another letter with strong wording and GM sent another letter denying the charge and if I wanted to pursue the matter file a complaint against the KBB (it was similar to the BBB but devoted to auto's) filed the complaint and the next day I got a call from GM saying the check was in the mail. Will have to pull the file as I am at work when I get home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The saga continues....