Painting radio bezel

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:53 AM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There are some amazingly talented people on this web site. That stuff looks great!! Great info and advice...thanks
Old 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 158 Posts

I'll pm you with instructions and yes, I did it myself with duplicolor and clear.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:28 PM
4u2nvc5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yaknow
I'll pm you with instructions and yes, I did it myself with duplicolor and clear.
Would you mind to pm me also?
-Blake
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 158 Posts

Blake pm sent
Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 PM
bowtiebubba
Melting Slicks

Thanks,excellent info.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:55 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 Rooster
There are some amazingly talented people on this web site. That stuff looks great!! Great info and advice...thanks
You'd be suprised about how easy it is to work on the interior parts. I bet the first time you did something like painting it would turn out just fine. There can be some significant noticable flaws sometimes when you have the part out and working on it but put it in the car and it is not noticable at all. Not at all like exterior paint where "perfect is really perfect." I think it has to do with the lighting inside the car as far as what can be noticed on he surface finish.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:20 AM
c4vetteontop
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default If im going to be painting the interior vinyl is primer a must??

If im going to be paint the door bottem do i also have to use vinyl on it or is primer only needed on hard plastic parts like the radio brezel?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 AM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by minitech
For my bezel I used SEM texture paint, sanded it down to smooth out a bit. Then used SEM Landeau Black. Matches very well as stock.
I dont understand using "texture" paint and then sanding it smooth? Why not use standard paint? (sorry, newbie )
Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Looks good. Workmanship is excellant.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

I custom painted mine to match my EB Z06 went to finshmasters with the paint code had them mix it up, also bought come clear because the paint is a two stage system base coat, clear coat you will also need activator and reduscer, had to sand all of the textrue off until it was smooth primed and painted. End results were awsome.

Check out the pics in this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1949582
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SEE3ER
I dont understand using "texture" paint and then sanding it smooth? Why not use standard paint? (sorry, newbie )
It is because you are trying to duplicate the original texture. If you look at the stock bezel it has some raised texture but mostly "flattened off" texture, kind of like leather grain. With the SEM texture it comes out with a sharper top to the texture. So you just use some fine grit paper and carefully just take the top off. Not sanding it all off but just hitting it a little to get it to look like stock. Then the color over that will fill the valleys a little to come close to stock.

If you went with just standard paint it would take the texture of the surface. With the bezel mod it will be flat because you just cut and re bonded the bezel surround and filled it with something to take up the open spaces. Any way you do it there will be a flat surface due to sanding it to get it to look right. So to just paint the surface you would see where you did the work and it would not blend with the stock areas you didn't work on.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

After seeing the int of the C6, I thought it would look good in the Z with the silver trim - and it does. I am pulling my console to install a new head unit and put some bezels around the guages so this might be a good time to do this. Could you please pm me with the how-to also.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Painting radio bezel