[Z06] my new harnesses in my Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,005 Likes on 5,371 Posts

Originally Posted by twobit
here is my new harness install

There is another problem you must correct. The end of the belt coming out of the buckle must go back through the buckle a third time. If you don't do that one good hard pull on the belt and it will pull right out of the buckle.

Bill
Old 04-11-2008, 10:14 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a link to an excellent write-up on the proper installation of safety harnesses. Improper installation and usage can be more dangerous than not having a harness and sticking with the stock seatbelts. There is a good description of what happens to your body and the harnesses in the event of a crash, and an explanation of the proper installation and use of a HANS device as well. If you've ever doubted why you need a HANS, look at the pictures. You will need to scroll down past the listing of harnesses to find the sections on seat belt installation.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf

Hope this answers any remaining questions. Do not, repeat, do not use a 4-point harness. You must have a properly installed submarine belt. Don't believe me? Read the write-up and you'll understand why.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

By the way, scroll to page 38 in the link that I posted. It shows the proper routing of the shoulder straps through the adjustable slide buckle. Other pages show how to route the straps through other types of buckles and fasteners. There are detailed instructions on correct and incorrect ways of installing belts, harnesses and anchors.

Do it right or don't do it at all. Your life depends on it.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
There is another problem you must correct. The end of the belt coming out of the buckle must go back through the buckle a third time. If you don't do that one good hard pull on the belt and it will pull right out of the buckle.

Bill
Bill,

Nice job! I was reading the posts and wondering if I was the only person that noticed the incorrect routing of the webbing through the buckle. Obviously I wasn't.

Dog

Quick Reply: [Z06] my new harnesses in my Z