Sponsored by:

Baby! PLEASE quit slamming the door!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:13 PM
RBChallenger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rendell
it's not as bad as people who close the door via the window.
Let me precede this by saying that I have a spectacular girlfriend (of 2 years now).. but she is guilty of slamming the door, slamming it via the window.. top up, top down.. it doesn't matter, she is also guilty of apparrently sticking her hands in grease or a vat of lotion and then somehow managing to put paw prints from behind and above the door handle all the way to halfway towards the mirror. So the car is nice and shiny and polished on the drivers door and has paw prints all over the drivers door... cant help but love her though.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 AM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My Wife got the message about SLAMMING my car doors after I got up in the middle of the night a couple of times to take a Wizz and I left the TOLIET SEAT UP !!!! If you SLAM my doors the SEAT stays UP !!!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My GF does the exac same thing, but I think she just forgets I don't like my doors being slamed so stinken hard. Even though I don't like it, I just have to deal with it I guess. Oh, and I'm forgetting the hand prints on her side of the window I get to clean every time she opens the dood by the window. I love her lots, so I can digest it somehow, but if it was somebody else, then it would be a different story.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 AM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ha, my girlfriend does the same thing. I tell her it doesn't take that much, but she slams every door. when she was in high school she had nothing to drive but 80's subarus, they need a good slam to get the doors closed.

I was dating this one girl a while back before I had my vette. the Gen III Taurus has one of the easiest closing doors I've ever encountered. its as smooth and refined as the Corvette, but not sealed as well. you can get the outer latch closed and the inner one still open and get the door closed with one finger just pushing it closed. even the vette takes more effort than that. I would open and close the door for her. Like I always did I would push the door very softly to close it. click click and its closed. you don't need to slam it at all. Well she didn't believe me, she would say I don't think it closed...then open it again and slam it as hard as she could! but it did close, that's all it took to close it! her family standarized on Toyotas, their doors don't close right either.

some never learn!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad that I don't have that problem with my wife. We met 43 years ago and I was as **** about my 57 Chevy then as I am with the vettes now. My wife if definately a car enthusist (probably rubbed off from me) and knows how to take care of a car. My children were raised "not to touch the paint" and have instilled that into my grandchildren. I wish you others luck in retraining your significant others.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 AM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

I had to "teach" my wife how to close my doors...

You don't put your hands all over the paint because it leaves marks. Rather, you close the door the same way you open the door; hold it under the door handle. No hand prints, no slamming!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mind when the wife closes the door a bit hard. I don't get upset if she gets fingerprints all over the door.
What, I'm going to be an *** to her and make her feel bad for putting fingerprints on a car? That's silly.
I love my wife. My car is just plastic and metal.

I even don't get upset when she drags her shoe over the sill and wears the paint down. It's real dull in that spot.

But I have to say - the window thing I had to put a stop to. She knocks it out of alignment then I have to spend hours getting it back to that "perfect" spot so I don't get wind noise.
Still, no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by Kale; 07-22-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
gray-c5
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like if the windows are not fully up the windows will rattle regardless of how much effort is used to close the door. Maybe it's just my car. I use the same effort that I would with any other car and seems just normal.

-Alex
Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Wethingtonvette8093
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

This happened a couple times to me, and the "gentle reminders" didnt seem to go through that thick skull of hers. So it had to end like this
" So help me god woman the next time you slam that door...I dont know how many miles it is back to the house but I know how many of them you will be walkin" Never again did she slam the door.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
peebee_c5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get some Lambo doors! Nobody slams Lambo doors.

But I hear you, I hate the slamming and setting stuff on the paint too. I think it's a cultural thing from all those huge heavy doors we used to have back in the 60's and 70's.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy her her own Corvette and see if she slams the door, drags her heels across the sill or puts fingernail marks and fingerprints all over it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes with the windows up no less.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Red99SS
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LIGHTMAN
My Wife got the message about SLAMMING my car doors after I got up in the middle of the night a couple of times to take a Wizz and I left the TOLIET SEAT UP !!!! If you SLAM my doors the SEAT stays UP !!!
You really showed HER! I was expecting you to say you took a wizz ON the toilet seat!
Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
pcunha
Advanced

I have one of those as well lol....
Old 07-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Z06 Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill W
My wife slammed the door on my Z so hard one time that the window lowered itself. Wife slams everything, not just the car door. House doors, cabinet doors, windows, etc... And, God forbid it doesn't close the first time she slams it cause the next is worse. Many times I have walked up to our front door and gently pushed it shut and you hear the click. You can slam it as much as you want and it won't latch. Great thread!
This is a sure sign of mental instability!! My ex-wife had this defect too. Get a divorce...SOON!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

women

Get notified of new replies

To Baby! PLEASE quit slamming the door!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Jameel
Racer

It’s funny that there’s a thread about this. I’ve encountered this issue too. But it seems that everybody that gets into this car slams the door. I think, people think the car and door is big so they need to slam it to close it properly. But I’m even surprised at how light the doors are. Heck, the doors on our Mini are a lot heavier.

But what irritates me even more than slamming the door shut, is people who swing the door open from the inside. Instead of hanging onto the door handle and opening it slowly. It always seems that the door is going to un-hinge itself when people do that.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Riley P
Racer

Haha, I'm so use to needing enough force to close our doors to overcome the built up pressure that I slammed the door on my buddies BMW. Boy did I feel like an idiot. Whoops, funny thing is, I only did this once.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Default Baby, please

I guess I'm lucky. the Wifey slams the doors on everything we own so hard I sometimes think they're goin all the way into the inside of the car. I tell her about it every time, too. On the other hand the Vette must seem sacred to her. I've yet to see her slam the door on it.

Quick Reply: Baby! PLEASE quit slamming the door!