Sponsored by:

[Z06] All 93 Octane isn't the same

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Skeld
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It doesn't matter in my area either. There are none of those stations within a reasonable driving distance of where I live. the closest Shell Station may be 100 miles away in New Jersey. I use Mobil from the neighborhood station. They usually have the cheapest or next to cheapest prices anyways.

Bill
I think you'll be ok - Exxon/Mobil wouldn't sell you anything too ratty I don't think.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM
gordon04z06
Instructor

I've never put anything but Shell in mine. Of course here in Colorado it's 91 not 93.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
vettelover84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gordon04z06
I've never put anything but Shell in mine. Of course here in Colorado it's 91 not 93.
Yep its 91 octane here.... I always get gas on base. (no name) Never have issues. I just put a bottle of Techron in my tank for good measure. I am taking a 1200 trip this week so I will be burning a bit of gas.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
pat-b
Racer

Originally Posted by Bigstik
Anybody ever hear of the quote...You get what you pay for. You pay for the cheapest stuff and usually its the cheapest for a reason. Everytime I put gas from the local QT in my truck (regular mind you) it starts sputtering very badly under low acceleration. I am not OCD about which gas I put in, but if I can help it I put Shell in. When we tore my brothers LS1 down for a heads job, the vavles were spotsless. All he ever puts in it is Shell so that what I try to stick with.
i stick with the shell if i can as well

like my dad says "sometimes you get what you pay for but if you dont pay for it you sure as hell wont get it"
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

think some of you guys need to go sit near a fuel terminal. You will be surprised to see what tank trucks pull up to the same terminal.

Fuel is Fuel - additives are only a drop in the bucket

and Shell is one of my last choices.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:04 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW data logging in my EVO tells me the quality of fuel the ECU sees being used on a scale of 0-100, 0 being bad and 100 being the best. bad fuel, even at a value of 99, will result in engine knock and timing being pulled from the map. good fuel will allow the car to run in the 100% range or off the map you programed without the knock sensors interfearing with anything.

I am able to run higher boost and more timing on BP 93 fuel then anything else I've tried, and in 95k miles I've tried them all. so thats all I use in my cars. I even go as far as filling up at the same station & even the same pump everytime.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Warped Sol
Racer

As a member of the Evil Oil Empire, I'll confirm that gas is gas. Just depends on which refinery it came from and the vendor it went to for the most part.

What I would be leary of is a small volume gas stations that have 10% ethanol tainted fuel. If the gas has been sitting awhile, ethanol tends to be attracted to water molecules or condensation. It WILL separate from the actual gas. The ethanol/water stuff will not burn, and your car will hiccup.

Another trick is to determine delivery date for fuel to the station. That tells you when the station's tank is getting empty. The bad stuff tends to be in higher concentration when there is low gas in the storage tank.

Ethanol, the biggest boondoggle of this century.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:37 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
think some of you guys need to go sit near a fuel terminal. You will be surprised to see what tank trucks pull up to the same terminal.

Fuel is Fuel - additives are only a drop in the bucket

and Shell is one of my last choices.
Companies have dedicated storage tanks or pipelines into other terminals. Just cause a Chevron truck pulls into a Shell terminal etc. doesn't mean its getting Shell gasoline at all. Its a toss up whos getting what from where but the bottom line is ALL gasoline must meet minimum specs before sale to the public. I don't care who makes it, where the blend stocks come from it all is the same end result before anyone adds their additives to it.
I worked for a couple petroleum inspection/testing companies for many years and every manufacturer out there blends their gasolines to the bare minimum specs required by law and quite frequently ships stuff out that doesn't meet specs and sells it anyway.
I tested gasoline that was shipped to terminals that was pretty bad test results wise yet it gets sold to the public by all the majors out there anyway.
Sure each company has their own "secret" additives they put in their gasoline but it doesn't change the fact that the specs are still borderline passing on it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] All 93 Octane isn't the same