Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] The C5 Z06 in corvette history.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a period of time where I think it was safe to say the US was lagging behind the Europeans when it came time to build a sports car.

With the C6 Z06 and Viper, those days are long gone. I will agree that it seems like no matter what, GM/Ford/Chrysler can't put a nice interior in any of their vehicles.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I recently bought my second 04 Z06 because the Z51 C6 cars just don't "feel" like a C5Z06 does. The C5Z06 will probably be known as the best value (and one of the quickest) in a dual-purpose car ever built. I don't know if that makes it collectible, but it does make it desirable.

The C6Z06 and now the ZR1 may be the high water mark for Corvettes ever. Think about it: GM may go under, or operate under a govt financing program in which sports cars are verboten or emasculated. Surely the "greening" of US car companies is imminent. The ZR1 will quite likely be the fastest, best handling, best braking Corvette ever made unless some things change in a big, big way. We may one day see an electric or hybrid Vette that is plenty good and plenty quick, but if gas power is what you want, we are likely at the performance zenith right now.

The success of the C5Z06 paved the way for, and made the business case for, the C6Z06 and the ZR1.
Very well said. Ditto.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:32 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

As far as interiors go, all I can say is that I remember the Ferrari 308 interior, the Lambo Countach and the Porches 914, 911,924 interiors, and any Mercedes interior... they all looked and felt really cheap to me. The reddish,fleshy tan color of some of the imports was also pretty dang scary.

IMO, I think the overall interior packages of the Corvettes has always been nicer than its import rivals. In the last few years, pretty much all of the automakers have improved their interior designs and materials.

That said, I can see how the C5 Z06 seats could use some extra support in the leg and side bolster areas for track use.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:10 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
That said, I can see how the C5 Z06 seats could use some extra support in the leg and side bolster areas for track use.
I believe they chose the seats they did in an effort to reduce weight - as it appears that the C5 "Sport Seats" optioned for the Coupe and Vert are a little better padded than the standard ones, as used in the C5 Z.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jameel
Is the Z06 not in the same vein as a GT3 or a Challenge Stradale, in the sense that the base car was taken modified and tweaked to work better on the track? Why would GM add brake ducts (front and back), make the Z06 lighter, make Z06 faster and make the Z06 handle better if it wasn’t more focused for track use?
Both Porsche and Ferrari fashioned their "street track" cars after their own one-make series Cup/Challenge cars.

GM has no such non-street legla one-make race car that it fashioned the C5 Z06 after.

I do believe their was an option to order a body-in-white C Z06 from GM in late 2000 or early 2001 for use in the SpeedVision World Challenge, but that car was based on the street car, not the other way round like the Porsche and Ferraris.

If it wasnt for the Porsche GT3 Cup car and the Ferrerai Challenge cars, I don't believe either company would have such a cuting edge "street track" car on sale.

Thsi makes the C5 Z06 even more astonishing as it can and does run and gun neck and neck and dance toe to toe with the GT3 and the Challenge Stradale, yet it is a pure street car with almost no on-track only race-developed secrets like the GT3 an the CS - which get all their tweaks and advantages from the Porsche Cup car progarm and the Ferrari Challenge program.

Remember, the C6 Z06 was developed hand in hand with the C5R race program, the C5 Z06 was pretty much invented out of thin air by John Heinricy and the boys in Bowling Green during 1998 and 1999 while they sold the first FRC's (I have obviously taken poetic license with this anectdote but hopefully the point is carried across )
Old 12-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Jameel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
Both Porsche and Ferrari fashioned their "street track" cars after their own one-make series Cup/Challenge cars.

GM has no such non-street legla one-make race car that it fashioned the C5 Z06 after.

I do believe their was an option to order a body-in-white C Z06 from GM in late 2000 or early 2001 for use in the SpeedVision World Challenge, but that car was based on the street car, not the other way round like the Porsche and Ferraris.

If it wasnt for the Porsche GT3 Cup car and the Ferrerai Challenge cars, I don't believe either company would have such a cuting edge "street track" car on sale.

Thsi makes the C5 Z06 even more astonishing as it can and does run and gun neck and neck and dance toe to toe with the GT3 and the Challenge Stradale, yet it is a pure street car with almost no on-track only race-developed secrets like the GT3 an the CS - which get all their tweaks and advantages from the Porsche Cup car progarm and the Ferrari Challenge program.

Remember, the C6 Z06 was developed hand in hand with the C5R race program, the C5 Z06 was pretty much invented out of thin air by John Heinricy and the boys in Bowling Green during 1998 and 1999 while they sold the first FRC's (I have obviously taken poetic license with this anectdote but hopefully the point is carried across )
I see your point. But I just think the seats and steering wheel should have been designed better from the factory. I mean they went as far as making the front/back windshield thinner to save weight and less insulation to save weight. Yet they couldn't spend the extra money to get a lighter, non-power, better bolstered seat and a smaller thicker steering wheel.
As you can see those are my 2 biggest pet peeves about the car. The seat issue has been fixed with a Corbeau FX1 Pro, but the Steering wheel is a lost cause. I don't want to lose the airbag and I don't want to spend $1,600 for an after market wheel with an airbag.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 PM
nmaier88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the thickness of the steering wheel is really bothering you that much, then just buy one of these.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...5&dept_id=1605

It makes it plenty thick and doesn't look too bad, especially if you have mod red interior with the red/black wrap.

Quick Reply: [Z06] The C5 Z06 in corvette history.