Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] If you're wondering if the Michelin PS2 is the right tire for the Z06..

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDingo
I see what you're getting at there. The answer to your question is no. However, I suppose since I'm never doing over 160mph on the streets I should be okay. Look, all I'm saying is that if I can find a tire that will grip just as well and probably last longer too for less, it's kind of a no brainer for me. Especially as I said before I'm not reading tire ratings to see how fast I can go on them because it's more than I will use on the streets and I have different tires for the track.
I don't have the money to buy another set of wheels and tires when I'm only going to do one or two autocrosses a year and MAYBE one track day. Plus, I tear up the N.GA, E.TN mountains so I need grip. And yeah, I want the best speed rating possible. That's my justification for buying PS2s (I had a set on a previous Z06 and my previous C6). So my next tire WILL be a PS2 if I have the money (my stock Goodyears are down to the wear bars as I type).
I had BFG KDW2s on another car and they were almost up to par with the PS2, but they were no where near as quiet (But still infintely quieter than the stock Goodyears (which are the ****tiest tire in the world beside the Firehawk Wide Oval)). And that's a big deal to me.
So here's another happy PS2 customer.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:26 PM
pcbunn
Pro

Great to hear all the info on PS2's. I'm getting ready to purchase the first replacement set on my 01. The original set of GY's with 25k look fine but are just too old to trust and I want to take a run to Utah in June. Sure helps to compare all the comments.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:40 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blazer427X3
Whats the general opinion of Toyo Proxes ?
I love tire threads! I bought my track tires (Nitto 555RIIs) based on forum recommendations and couldn't be more pleased. Hopefully this will help someone make a decision.

I like the Proxes T1R a lot. I paid less than $900 mounted and balanced, but it was a couple of years ago. I've run them for both street and DE with over 14 track days and 12k miles on one set. I've routinely exceeded straight away speeds of 150mph at the track, with sustained average track speeds exceeding 85 mph. They're loud at the track but they perform very well. They're quiet on the street and handle the wet very well for hi-po tires.

I now have two sets of wheels so I don't track them (unless it rains) but they're still my street tires and despite the above mentioned abuse are still not to the wear marks.

Someone else mentioned not having the money to buy a second set of wheels and yet in the same sentence said they spent $1400 to buy PS2s. For the price of a set of PS2s I paid for my Toyos and my used Speedlines. I'm not skimping on tires. I could afford the PS2s and if I thought they were that much better I'd have bought them. I never fault anyone for spending their hard earned cash for whatever they want, but for my money I'll be getting another set of Toyo's and spending the extra cash on a new set of Penske or Pfadt shocks!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:47 PM
blazer427X3
Pro

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I love tire threads!
I was thinking the same thing as I've been following this one.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

I think this is a lot better deal........FREE
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...e-offered.html
Old 04-24-2009, 02:25 AM
tvlance
Racer

I've been very happy with my PS2's since I've had them. They are quieter than the F1s, and they do seem to grip well and are quite predictable. They do have a bit more squirm at high speeds when the steering wheel is slightly jerked. I guess this is because of a softer sidewall maybe? The F1s seemed VERY tight... almost like go-kart tires.

Also, the rear tires seem to be going rather quickly. I only have 10K miles on them (got all 4 as a set), but the inside of the rear tires is almost worn to the wear bars. I honestly don't think I've done THAT many burnouts (in my opinion), but maybe it was a few too many. Other than the occasional peel out from a stop sign, or the very occasional burnout... I drive it rather regularly. So almost to the wear bars after 10K miles, I dunno what's up with that.

Other than that, I think they're pretty darn good. And they're not bad at all in the rain.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:54 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not too happy about dropping $1400 on tires(spare me the "you bought a Z06,don't skimp story!) but I am going with PS-2's probably at the end of the week or the week after.

I have 34k on my 2004 z06 and it's on the original super cars. Sure, they're worn, and the inside shoulders are down to the belts on the fronts.

Forum member and friend BillY2KFRC has a serious black '03 Z with some major hp!(550crank). He has PS-2's and the car is bolted!!

So I'm going to try out the PS-2's and see how they work. Maybe it won't wheel hop as badly with very good tires.

I'll post my feelings on them!

LOL, In conclusion...during the years when Michelin was in F1(They pulled out not long ago)...they really beat up Ferrari and Bridgestone! I swore NEVER to own Michelin tires! I have to go back on my word for once.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 AM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my Z06, smooth ride, excellent grip, i think it's a great tire...

I would definitely buy another set when these wear out...
Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 AM
michaelkrelina
Instructor

PS 2 have been satisfactory in every way (including rain), except cold weather, as per some above messages. I think their longevity makes the $$ tolerable.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

When the F1 debacle ocurred at Indy a few years ago, I decided I would not buy Michelins. I was getting a set of CCW Classics from CCW with tires mounted included. After all the tire research I did, I bought PS2's anyway. I've been very happy with them. Despite the fact that my modded Z06 can spin them at will anytime, they are still holding up quite well. They are excellent performing tires in any category you can think of. Besides even though they are one of the more expensive tires on the market, the next time I need tires it will be much cheaper. I'll need rear tires only long before the fronts wear out. So in the future I only have to buy two tires at a time.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 AM
robrunwild
Intermediate

Default Drivers preference really

I shopped till I dropped and decided on GY D3's. Awesome tire for all road conditions here in the northwest, except snow. My baby hides out during the frosty months and the F350 becomes the daily driver.

RR
Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i drove PS2s in the rain, snow, roadcourse (when I cannot get my tack wheels on) etc. got 20k out of the fronts and going on 30k on the rears (will probably get a new pair this fall). i do check my alignment at least twice a year and my pressures every couple of weeks. right alignment and pressures is what makes tires last. if you are getting 10k miles out of street compound tire there is something wrong with your setup.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by longdaddy
i drove PS2s in the rain, snow, roadcourse (when I cannot get my tack wheels on) etc. got 20k out of the fronts and going on 30k on the rears (will probably get a new pair this fall). i do check my alignment at least twice a year and my pressures every couple of weeks. right alignment and pressures is what makes tires last. if you are getting 10k miles out of street compound tire there is something wrong with your setup.
This is what I want to hear! Forget this 10-15K mile tire life. That's ridiculous for the $ we're paying! I plan to push them as far as they'll go.

Funny how I've read some claim they're quite easy to spin. Again, a 550 chp Z06 was PUNCHED in 2nd gear w/o a whimper from the tires. Possibly a very good chassis set up. I'd guess. This weekend, I'm ordering mine.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:58 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

meh, you can spin any tire you want. I've seen miatas burning out on r compound tire so what. I like to actually drive on my tires.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 AM
LMG Z06
2nd Gear

I have PS-2's on my C5 and will be putting a set on my C6 Z very soon. Much quiter than the Good Year Super Cars and do seem to be lasting much better.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

I recently put PS-2s on my '03 Z when I added my Iforged T10s, and all I can say is they're worth every inflated penny!! Smoother, quieter - just plain plush - compared to the stock Supercars, and they stick like glue! Turn-in might be scoche softer, but it's still an awesome performer overall. I pushed 'em today getting on the freeway and took the 90 degree on-ramp right-hander at about 45 without a wimper. Just make sure you get 'em warm first.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 PM
500hp
Burning Brakes

Location: It's more of a 'town'. Iowa (we make E85 here--Oh yes, you are welcome!)

Remember, Michelins (and Pirellis) are highly technical and well engineered tires. Not just wide and sticky. They are probably the lightest weight tires you will find in a high performance street tire, which is especially important when dealing with WIDE 17", 18", 19", and 20" tires. This is part of the reason they work so well on tuned suspensions.

Try searching the "cursed auction site". I have $2,200 worth of 19" PS2s on my car, but only have about $500 invested in them. As recieved, my fronts have 60% tread left (only paid $160 for the pair, though), but my rears are 90%. They should last me a couple years (I'm in Iowa, so I don't drive this car during the 3-4 winter months) of aggressive street/highway driving.
I will replace them in the very same fashion. If I have to change sizes because of availability, I will deal with it. I highly recommend trying this... even if you end up with some slightly abnormal tread wear, the performance advantage of these used tires will make up for it.
Put your pride aside, screw the warranty, and try something different. They're only tires... and it's just a car.

Get notified of new replies

To If you're wondering if the Michelin PS2 is the right tire for the Z06..

Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

if you go this route, avoid tires from hot climate states that have older manufacture date stamps. tires from florida that are 4-5 years old are going to be rock hard, no matter how much tread is left.

Originally Posted by 500hp
Remember, Michelins (and Pirellis) are highly technical and well engineered tires. Not just wide and sticky. They are probably the lightest weight tires you will find in a high performance street tire, which is especially important when dealing with WIDE 17", 18", 19", and 20" tires. This is part of the reason they work so well on tuned suspensions.

Try searching the "cursed auction site". I have $2,200 worth of 19" PS2s on my car, but only have about $500 invested in them. As recieved, my fronts have 60% tread left (only paid $160 for the pair, though), but my rears are 90%. They should last me a couple years (I'm in Iowa, so I don't drive this car during the 3-4 winter months) of aggressive street/highway driving.
I will replace them in the very same fashion. If I have to change sizes because of availability, I will deal with it. I highly recommend trying this... even if you end up with some slightly abnormal tread wear, the performance advantage of these used tires will make up for it.
Put your pride aside, screw the warranty, and try something different. They're only tires... and it's just a car.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

*update*

I now have 10,000 miles on the set. Last night I measured the tread depth at the worst part of the tire (inside edge groove) and had 7/32" of tread left... I think they start with 9/32" or 10/32".. this is the same for both front and rear.. right and left side.. I installed tire pressure sensors to keep an eye on tire inflation with these tires and i'm sure that helps.. I run the stock recommend tire pressures and the stock recommend alignment settings.. everything on teh car is bone stock down to teh dealer air filter and oil filters..etc..etc.. Even GM washer fluid (optikleen) and leather conditioner..

They are still quite, handle well and have good steering feel.. The wear bars show at 2/32" so I have about 5/32" left of usable (SAFE) tread.. I wonder if the tire wear will accelerate with age.. I'll update in another 10,000 miles (5-6 months or so)..

Hope this helps!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the best tire for us dailey drivers who go in rain and temperatures down to 35. Need something that wears well, doesn't cost $1400, and will handle all conditions. PS2 are just too much money and I'm not doing over 100 mph. Thanks

Quick Reply: [Z06] If you're wondering if the Michelin PS2 is the right tire for the Z06..