Sponsored by:

True HP rating of the LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:01 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06

There is NO set percentage for the calculation. Every situation is different.
Sure there is. The chassis dyno can only measure what's left after the drivetrain has been accelerated, that's why the wheel horsepower is lower. All drivetrains of the same type have the same rotational inertia, so they will absorb the same amount of horsepower.

Having said that, I wonder if different styles of wheels would affect the rwhp? A heavier wheel/tire combo is going to absorb more horsepower before it gets to the dyno roller. Have to check that out sometime.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
Sure there is. The chassis dyno can only measure what's left after the drivetrain has been accelerated, that's why the wheel horsepower is lower. All drivetrains of the same type have the same rotational inertia, so they will absorb the same amount of horsepower.

Having said that, I wonder if different styles of wheels would affect the rwhp? A heavier wheel/tire combo is going to absorb more horsepower before it gets to the dyno roller. Have to check that out sometime.

If the drivetrain is exactly alike the inertia is the same, so a percent accross that driveline can be used. If the drivetrain is different, EVERYTHING will influence parasitic loss and inertia. Just a few examples, type of gears, type of carrier, weight of disc brakes, break drag, length / weight of stub shafts, length / weight of stub axles, length / width of driveshaft, driveshaft design (torque tube, double cardan, singe joint, double joints) weight of flywheel, type of converter, clutch, transmission, and just about anything else that the engine moves. And yes, weight and height of wheels and tires make a big difference.

Still intrigued that the stock C5 has approx. a 12 percent loss (probably manual).
The following users liked this post:
Capterics (08-03-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 07:13 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew
If the drivetrain is exactly alike the inertia is the same, so a percent accross that driveline can be used. If the drivetrain is different, EVERYTHING will influence parasitic loss and inertia. Just a few examples, type of gears, type of carrier, weight of disc brakes, break drag, length / weight of stub shafts, length / weight of stub axles, length / width of driveshaft, driveshaft design (torque tube, double cardan, singe joint, double joints) weight of flywheel, type of converter, clutch, transmission, and just about anything else that the engine moves. And yes, weight and height of wheels and tires make a big difference.

Still intrigued that the stock C5 has approx. a 12 percent loss (probably manual).
Exactly. Great minds think alike. In the mid 90's, we would have dyno days with sometimes up to 20 impala ss's. Bone stock, we would only see horsepower variances of maybe 4 horsepower across 15 impalas. Of course, they all had the exact same wheel and tire package, so that's why I was thinking the wheels are the most likely culprit for the horsepower variations. GM is usually spot on with their horsepower ratings.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Exactly. Great minds think alike. In the mid 90's, we would have dyno days with sometimes up to 20 impala ss's. Bone stock, we would only see horsepower variances of maybe 4 horsepower across 15 impalas. Of course, they all had the exact same wheel and tire package, so that's why I was thinking the wheels are the most likely culprit for the horsepower variations. GM is usually spot on with their horsepower ratings.
Yep!

As for the tires / wheels, I have another toy that is an LS powered Jeep. Running around town, it has some light wheels and light 33/12.5 tires, about 55 pounds. For the trails, it has heavy wheels and 35/12.5 Kevlar tires, about 90 pounds each. It is amazing how much more power it takes to turn those off road tires. Never had it on a dyno, but would guess 50 HP or more is siphoned off. Fuel mileage also drops about 30 percent as well.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Capterics
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redtop2000
My 2000 was rated at 345 but it's my understanding that the exact same engine was rated at 350 in 2001. True?
That is correct; 2001 = 350hp and 360ft.lbs.(Auto) 370ft. lbs. (Man), torque. The difference in torque is due to the converter.

Last edited by Capterics; 08-03-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:39 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Yep!

As for the tires / wheels, I have another toy that is an LS powered Jeep. Running around town, it has some light wheels and light 33/12.5 tires, about 55 pounds. For the trails, it has heavy wheels and 35/12.5 Kevlar tires, about 90 pounds each. It is amazing how much more power it takes to turn those off road tires. Never had it on a dyno, but would guess 50 HP or more is siphoned off. Fuel mileage also drops about 30 percent as well.
If you feel a power loss, it's more likely the effective gear ratio change going from 33's to 35's
3.42 gears for example would effectively be 3.22 gearing...
Old 08-04-2018, 10:07 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

my 87 Buick turbo GN was rated at 245 hp, same as the C4. I cleaned the street and strip with many C4'S,it was no problem since v6 made 300 HP.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:35 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Originally Posted by grantv
If you feel a power loss, it's more likely the effective gear ratio change going from 33's to 35's
3.42 gears for example would effectively be 3.22 gearing...
Yes, and the additional ~140 extra pounds of rotating mass. And yes, you feel it since the rwhp drops. Same crank HP, different wheel HP.

That is why 5.38's are fairly common in Jeeps. 4.10's are considered tall gears.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:16 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Yes, and the additional ~140 extra pounds of rotating mass. And yes, you feel it since the rwhp drops. Same crank HP, different wheel HP.

That is why 5.38's are fairly common in Jeeps. 4.10's are considered tall gears.
Sorry yes, meant it was part of the equation...
Old 08-05-2018, 01:45 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by futuretech
Mine dyno'd at 315 rwhp with Vararam and Dyno tune.
vararam do not add any hp on the dyno they even tell you that in the instructions ..hence why its a cold air ram intake ..needs air to make hp
Old 08-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
not enough

This is the only answer that make sense ten years later.

Quick Reply: True HP rating of the LS1