Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Halltech Venom Install Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Halltech Venom Install Question?

I received my new Halltech Venom over the week-end. I was at the Daytona 500 over the week-end so my neighbor gave it to me this morning. My question is: Guys who have 02 and up Z06's don't have the screen in their MAF's. The Venom comes with the Honeycomb MAF straightener. Has everybody installed the straightener? Any problems with the installation? The Venom looks great, I didn't get to see it very long before I had to go to work, but I'm planning on installing it after work. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about the straightener.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM
silverbird
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My 2002 Z threw codes upon initial Venom install.
Don't have the sraightner.
It wasn't availabe when I bought the Venom back in 2008.
Had my tuner re-program/re-tune.
I also have long tube headers and high flow cats.
Installing the Haltech was very easy and straight forward
All has been good since.
Silverbird

Last edited by silverbird; 02-15-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 PM
PSU 98
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted up a couple install tips when I did mine. My non-Z06 already has the screened MAF and I have had no codes since the install.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 AM
CPIKE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

install was a breeze. the screeeeeeeeeee nwas a tight fit i bent some fines ut i am not worried about them breaking off. No codes at all! I also did this.
http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Rad...op%20inst..pdf
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Psiadd1ct
Instructor

^ that could work, but i would buy the icebox(puts a box over the filter and you cut a hole under the filter like you did forming more of a CAI, cause doing that its just sucking hot air from the top and cold from the bottom
Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 PM
CPIKE
Instructor

it cools the whole engine compartment. what is this "ice box"? somthing you would have to fab up? I thought about doing that but, i doubt i would be worth the power you might see.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Psiadd1ct
Instructor

ice box goes around the intake and then you cut a hole below the intake in the icebox area!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
CPIKE
Instructor

who makes it??
Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Psiadd1ct
Instructor

Teamzr1.com called the "ice box" made for blackwing but states will work with the same size filter (20x7 inchs) or anything smaller!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
CPIKE
Instructor

so this would make my setup even better, i hope it fits! I will get this and do a write up on what i find...so i don't hijack his thread. The only problem i see is maybe too much pressure in the ice box from the ram scoop.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Psiadd1ct
Instructor

i think it would be fine! would be supppper cold which is good!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:32 PM
CPIKE
Instructor

i am wondering if t will have a ram air effect and how that would affect a tune? run lean perhaps?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Psiadd1ct
Instructor

all it does is keep the IATS down, would act the same as a vararam, but getting a tune wouldnt hurt!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

The disadvantage of the icebox, like the BPP Rammer and Vararam is that the engine bay can get very hot, especially if LTs are installed. As CPIKE mentioned, the scoop mod directs air past the filter and into the engine bay and keeps even the air entering the filter from above from getting hot. Engine bay heat accelerates aging of batteries, electronics, belts, and hoses. In addition, catch cans located near the filter (or further forward) will trap more oil and water droplets if the filter and "can" are cooler than the blowby gasses.
And as you know, Z06s have an inherent advantage over coupes and verts because of the additional openings in the front.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Psiadd1ct
Instructor

This wouldnt effect the engine bay air one bit, go to teamzr1.com and check it out, its a box that goes over the intake itself and you just cut the shroud a bit right under the filter and the box is around the hole and the filter, but you still have air coming from the front screens and from the left or right of the icebox, it wouldnt effect air coming to the engine bay from the front at all, covers the filter itself with a box not that whole front area. Should be acually better then the vararam because the filter is still high and you dont cover the screens with the scoops but after 20MPH you still get IATs of outside temps due to the icebox!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Dave68
Race Director

It would affect the engine bay temps less than in a coupe or vert, that's true, but the polycarbonate scoop also has an added benefit in that it isolates hot air coming from the radiator. The icebox can pull in this air during slow-moving conditions. Besides, I haven't seen the ice box advertised in many years. It was very similar to the BPP rammer setup, which uses a smaller filter than the blackwing, Stinger, or Venom.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
CPIKE
Instructor

well I talked to ZR1 yesterday put one on order...I read daves write on the oil catch can so now i am going to re mount mine up front some where(makes sense)...I may modify (drill holes in the side the ice box) to move the cooler air to the engine bay while still blocking engine bay heat from the filter.. However I am certain that I am "over engineering" the intake solution and I doubt I will see that much of a difference over my poly scoop, probably just a placebo effect just because of the work I am putting into this project.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Venom Install Question?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Psiadd1ct
Instructor

Dave there is no way it can block air from the engine more then just having the intake filter there itself! here is pics of the icebox, just sits over the filter...http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...=1799#Post1799

Now you cut 2inchs x 18inchs towards the bottom so the hole is far away from the a/c and rad. but i saw reviews and plp said this worked very well especially above 20MPH where the IATS were the same as the outside temps. If you wanted to you could mount the poly scoop under the hole aswell but i dont think there is a need to. The 18x2inch hole puts enough cold air into the ice box! and the icebox covers the intake from the engine heat but it wont block air from the front reaching the engine at all. take a look at the pics its just the size of the filter itself air still comes from the vents or underneather ect and still gets to the engine. The icebox doesnt cover that whole area just around the filter. pics are off of a c6 but you can get the idea!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM
CPIKE
Instructor

I think dave is saying that the poly scoop allows cooler air to the filter and the engine compartment keeping under hood temps cooler. And that the Ice box will just let cooler air to the filter. I will have both, the scoop and the box

Last edited by CPIKE; 02-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 AM
Dave68
Race Director

CPIKE is correct. Z06s are less likely to suffer from engine bay heat soak, which can accelerate aging of plastics, rubbers, and electronics. Some people prefer front-entry cold air because they feel hot air from the radiator can be pulled into the intake via the icebox, Rammer, etc. The polycarbonate scoop that CPIKE and I have provides some shielding from radiator heat that is underneath the lower cover.

I used a data logger to test underhood temperatures in various areas, both before the CAI mod and afterward and I saw a significant difference after cold air was allowed (directed) in. I have a coupe, so very little cold air enters through the front fog light panels.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Halltech Venom Install Question?