Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting some muscle under the hood!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
After a long time of consideration, saving and research, I've decided to put some real power under the hood. My 97 LS1 is the weakest LS motor installed on any corvette. A complete exhaust, intake, 1.8 rockers and tune yielded a semi-healthy 328HP at the wheels, but i think i can do better.

I didn't want to do anything drastic to the motor for fear that i'd blow up my aging transmission, but earlier this year my trans died anyway and Frank's Vettes rebuilt it with heavy duty parts and a shift kit. Now that the drive train is all heavy duty (i have the 3.15 gear option from the factory) I can finally focus on the motor.

The parts list:
- 243 heads w/ valve covers and coil mounts
- Custom SDPC cam: 221/226 .565/.560 114
- powerbond (new generation) under drive pulley
- new pushrods
- new lifters
- new oil pump
- new timing set
- new valve springs
- new misc gaskets/seals

The Plan is to get rid of my engine's "asthma" The cam profile is designed for maximum torque towards the bottom end. My 1.8 rockers will carry over to the 243 heads. I'm hoping this plus a re-tune (street not dyno) will give my that low end SOPT rating I've been after. Frank's Vettes will be doing the install. SPDC will be supplying the parts

Stay tuned for engine **** and install updates.
This build will be very similar to the build I just did ~4 months ago. I found some brand new 243 heads on the "interweb". The custom cam grind I got was 224/230 .585/.595 113 LSA. I would recommend that you get a high volume/high pressure oil pump. I also did the LS2 timing gears. For the UD pulley, I went with the 10% UD. My personal opinion is if you do not have FI, stay away from the 25% pulley. With my 10% pulley sometimes at idle the voltage will fluctuate between 13.3V - 14.2V. As soon as you touch the "go" pedal it will be rock solid at 14.2V.

My final Mustang dyno numbers were 416 rwhp/392 rwtq. You will be very happy. First you'll do this , then this .

FYI, I installed the 3:42's a while back and my hwy mileage is a solid 25 mpg (when held at 90 mph for a mile or two). .

Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bluefire
My personal opinion is if you do not have FI, stay away from the 25% pulley. With my 10% pulley sometimes at idle the voltage will fluctuate between 13.3V - 14.2V. As soon as you touch the "go" pedal it will be rock solid at 14.2V.

Good Luck.
Normally I'd agree, but I have an aftermarket alternator that already has a smaller-than-stock clutch pulley. I idle at 13.5-13.8 all day long at night with everything blaring and all the lights on.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

It's about time your car's ***** dropped and it's voice stopped crackling.

It is now going to be a man.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Normally I'd agree, but I have an aftermarket alternator that already has a smaller-than-stock clutch pulley. I idle at 13.5-13.8 all day long at night with everything blaring and all the lights on.
Enjoy the new power.

Quick Reply: Finally getting some muscle under the hood!