Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 vs C5 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 PM
turk2gk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
You can easily mod a Coupe to match or exceed the performance of a Z.

You can not easily take the top of a Z.
Love it
Old 08-20-2010, 12:28 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Coupe. I think the Z06 is unattractive, but I sure would like to have the extra performance.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Blackkaz04
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The forum has a search feature too. I hate threads like this on forums.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a no-brainer for me. Take the coupe!!! Is the horsepower difference that big of a deal? We've had out 99 coupe for 6 years and travel all the time and there's a ton of trunk space in it. People are amazed at how much we can hold in the trunk when we pull into a hotel and unload our luggage and two golf bags and ice chest. Plus it's got the three storage compartments under the trunk floor. Worth it just for the trunk space. But on top of that we like the idea of taking the top off and having the benefits of a semi-convertible but with the built in safety of a "rollbar."
Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Mike402
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
OK let the 55 pages of Bashing commence. If you like the coupe then why the hell are you asking about a Z06?

OK Guys I really really hate Vipers, but I'm thinking about buying a Corvette because I really like them, do you think I should buy the viper anyway? What kind of question is that?

AHHHHHHH WTH is going on with the forum tonight.

Honda Civics are better go buy one of those.
Bit of a meltdown here.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
02*C5
Race Director

Received 106 Likes on 39 Posts

Now a days for about $5K you can get the equipment needed to handle like(shocks and used leaf springs) a Z06 and the heads(243s, 228R) cam and exhaust(headers)). Then it becomes about weight and driver after that.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Blew by you
Racer

Dont sweat it there are a lot of prissy little people on here, some just look for a thread to start a bitching contest, too many stuffed shirts in the room at one time, i say have the coupe and mod it accordingly i love the targa top it was one of my main draws to the Vette.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:28 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blew by you
Dont sweat it there are a lot of prissy little people on here, some just look for a thread to start a bitching contest, too many stuffed shirts in the room at one time, i say have the coupe and mod it accordingly i love the targa top it was one of my main draws to the Vette.
I also like the rear fast back window giving it that true classic corvette look.the trunk dosn't do it for me not even with the extra power
looks 90% in my making my choice plus living in MIami the Girls seem to draw more to a car with the top off
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
c59001
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toque
Z06's Kick azz !
Coupes and Verts are just azz...

Just kidding...

Toque
My coupe would smoke your puny Z0 poo
Old 08-21-2010, 01:21 AM
BlackWidowC5
Advanced

lol
Old 08-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 181 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by c59001
My coupe would smoke your puny Z0 poo
Oh yea...
Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a coupe and like it very much, but I do think the Z06/FRCs are really good looking.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 PM
LaMagred02
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A Marsh
I have a coupe and like it very much, but I do think the Z06/FRCs are really good looking.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GunLuvr
Bit of a meltdown here.
Yeah, it is really tiring having coupe owners start Z06 bashing threads. You buy a coupe and I buy a Z06 and a Convertible. I will probably end up with a Convertible Grand Sport because the lines of the coupe are "plain" to me, but to each their own. Lets just say I'm not surprised at all this thread was started by a coupe owner looking to "justify" his purchase in his own mind.

My 1991 was a coupe and honestly the top was a BIG PITA to take off and store, when I can drop the whole top in the convertible in 3 seconds, and not have to worry about hurting any paint, and I can still use almost my whole trunk with the top down, which I could not do with my coupe.

My favorite are the threads that talk about a higher top speed from the coupe because of the "aerodynamics", I guess the transmission gearing really has nothing to do with top speed.

You wanna know the differences do some research, don't try to insult Z owners by saying our cars our ugly, and we in some way made a bad decision because "it is only 55 horsepower".

My Z06 was a great basis for performance and puts down 472 crank HP with bolt-ons.

Has anyone seen a coupe or convertible with stock heads and cam put down even close to 472 hp? No because they simply can't, and it gets pretty expensive the more and more you try to make a coupe into a Z06.

If you like your coupe great, I like my Z and Vert too.

My Vert is fun, but the Z06 is an absolute animal in acceleration compared with the Vert. Truly night and day, and until you actually drive both, rather than bench racing you won't truly understand.

Last edited by Z06Electron; 08-21-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM
nyg215
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, it is really tiring having coupe owners start Z06 bashing threads. You buy a coupe and I buy a Z06 and a Convertible. I will probably end up with a Convertible Grand Sport because the lines of the coupe are "plain" to me, but to each their own. Lets just say I'm not surprised at all this thread was started by a coupe owner looking to "justify" his purchase in his own mind.

My 1991 was a coupe and honestly the top was a BIG PITA to take off and store, when I can drop the whole top in the convertible in 3 seconds, and not have to worry about hurting any paint, and I can still use almost my whole trunk with the top down, which I could not do with my coupe.

My favorite are the threads that talk about a higher top speed from the coupe because of the "aerodynamics", I guess the transmission gearing really has nothing to do with top speed.

You wanna know the differences do some research, don't try to insult Z owners by saying our cars our ugly, and we in some way made a bad decision because "it is only 55 horsepower".

My Z06 was a great basis for performance and puts down 472 crank HP with bolt-ons.

Has anyone seen a coupe or convertible with stock heads and cam put down even close to 472 hp? No because they simply can't, and it gets pretty expensive the more and more you try to make a coupe into a Z06.

If you like your coupe great, I like my Z and Vert too.

My Vert is fun, but the Z06 is an absolute animal in acceleration compared with the Vert. Truly night and day, and until you actually drive both, rather than bench racing you won't truly understand.

+1 Z06
Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM
JPM
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Old 08-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Ultimate_Respect
Pro

[QUOTE=Z06Electron;1575080149]Yeah, it is really tiring having coupe owners start Z06 bashing threads. You buy a coupe and I buy a Z06 and a Convertible. I will probably end up with a Convertible Grand Sport because the lines of the coupe are "plain" to me, but to each their own. Lets just say I'm not surprised at all this thread was started by a coupe owner looking to "justify" his purchase in his own mind. QUOTE]

What Are you talking about? I have owned my coupe for a long while I am not "Justifying" Anything...

Asking a question about the major difference between the Coupe and the Z06 is not bashing Z06 Owners.

Just because you have a Z06 makes you not better than someone owning a 84 C4 with major issues. If you think your car is so much better I have said it before we can run TITLE for TITLE... Otherwise who care how many HP you have in your Z06.

Like I said before I am trying to find out the major differences between the 2. You may just have short comings in life and your Z06 become who you are. At the end of the Day our Corvettes are just cars... When we pass away the car does not come with us.

If you have a problem with my question send me a private IM..

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 vs C5 Coupe?

Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont like the FRC, buy the coupe. No big deal.

Performance wise, buy the coupe and nothing $10,000 wont fix to equal the performance on the Z06
Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Has to be the winner for "The Moon Has To Be Out Tonight So Watch Out For The Whacks Post."
Old 08-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

[QUOTE=Ultimate_Respect;1575080785]
Yeah, it is really tiring having coupe owners start Z06 bashing threads. You buy a coupe and I buy a Z06 and a Convertible. I will probably end up with a Convertible Grand Sport because the lines of the coupe are "plain" to me, but to each their own. Lets just say I'm not surprised at all this thread was started by a coupe owner looking to "justify" his purchase in his own mind. QUOTE]

What Are you talking about? I have owned my coupe for a long whileu I am not "Justifying" Anything...

Asking a question about the major difference between the Coupe and the Z06 is not bashing Z06 Owners.

Just because you have a Z06 makes you not better than someone owning a 84 C4 with major issues. If you think your car is so much better I have said it before we can run TITLE for TITLE... Otherwise who care how many HP you have in your Z06.

Like I said before I am trying to find out the major differences between the 2. You may just have short comings in life and your Z06 become who you are. At the end of the Day our Corvettes are just cars... When we pass away the car does not come with us.

If you have a problem with my question send me a private IM..
OK man starting a thread by saying you like no fixed roof Corvette and saying it is only 55 HP more is in my opinion bashing the Z. But of course that is just my opinion. I'm not going to spend anymore time in your thread. Next time you might reword the question a little and try searching since this very topic has been discussed in detail and more often than not merely leads to FRC and Z bashing by coupe owners. If you have not been a member long then you probably wouldn't know that. But doing a search will bring up MANY such threads. It is actually why I pretty much stayed out of general chat until I got the convertible. Many Z owners did the same until the forum moderators began moving our posts from Z06 into general chat because they felt "everyone" should benefit from the post, not just the people in Z06. They missed the reason why we were all in there to begin with, which was this very same issue. I try not to post up when someone modifies their car in a way I don't like because at the end of the day we all make choices to make ourselves happy and someone else raining on your parade does not feel nice. Saying you do not like any fixed roof and saying only 55 HP was totally unrelated to your actual question and started the post off a little hostile in my opinion. As for me thinking I'm better than someone with an 84 I have driven to work in 110 degrees in an 82 cavalier with no A/C. I don't think I'm better than anyone and truly believe everyone should own a Corvette no matter what they can afford.

Last edited by Z06Electron; 08-21-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 vs C5 Coupe?