C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:46 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
In my experience, some switchback bulbs cause the car to just get freaky. There's no logical explanation for why this happens. Lights that normally don't flash (like in the insturment cluster) will start spazzing. My suggestion is to either try a different style of switchback or go to traditional LED tower bulbs.
before I go out and buy other lights, is there anything else that would cause this type of behavior? Is there any other test I can do to confirm if it is a bulb issue or electrical issue???

thanks.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:59 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
before I go out and buy other lights, is there anything else that would cause this type of behavior? Is there any other test I can do to confirm if it is a bulb issue or electrical issue???

thanks.
I wish there were. My car and 2 other C5s had wierd problems ONLY with the switchbacks. Once I removed the switchback and installed a standard tower or 3157 incandecent bulb, the problems went away. The switchbacks function normally on bench tests. Given i can see no consistant problem with either car or bulb, I'm writing it off to wierd science.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
I wish there were. My car and 2 other C5s had wierd problems ONLY with the switchbacks. Once I removed the switchback and installed a standard tower or 3157 incandecent bulb, the problems went away. The switchbacks function normally on bench tests. Given i can see no consistant problem with either car or bulb, I'm writing it off to wierd science.
Were you using the 60 SMD bulbs? So you swaped one exact same set for another and they worked? I currently have the 60 SMD bulbs but was thinking of tyring the 44 SMD's instead.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:16 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You tapped the LED strip off of the DRL Blue and Blue/White wires right?? I wonder if that's causing the problem for some strange reason. Did you try them without the LED strip wired in first? If they work without the LED strip in the circuit maybe a Diode will help...

PM JW about it also, he has alot of expirience with the Switchbacks and the LED strip...

Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 11:51 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tstar
You tapped the LED strip off of the DRL Blue and Blue/White wires right?? I wonder if that's causing the problem for some strange reason. Did you try them without the LED strip wired in first? If they work without the LED strip in the circuit maybe a Diode will help...

PM JW about it also, he has alot of expirience with the Switchbacks and the LED strip...

Tim
I'm going to dettach the LED strips and see what happens. I saw in your setup how used the diodes and how your lights work. A little more experimentation is needed to see where the problem is. If all else fails I may try another set of switchbacks. If I need diodes I'll come calling for advice

Thanks Tim
Old 10-03-2010, 01:11 PM
nascar57
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have th 60 led switchbacks in my car from jw with no problems. I do have a hyperflash harness also which works great.

I took a different approach with my led strips in the cornering lamps. I have these superbright led strips that have 3 leds in each chip. I have figured out how to solder the circuits on the strips so I can light each little led in the chip seperately. So I have drl's and turn signals in the same strip at the same time. I used tstars diagram to wire in the turn signal relays off the drl relays in the passenger footwell. The only regret is that these strips are a little wider than what you guys are using so they dont run the whole length of the cornering lamps. Here is a link to a video that shows them on the bench and another that shows them on the car. YOu will also notice I used the same setup in the coves for turn signals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddndu-hAxWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzho3RfwJvU

This is a little off topic but it is a motorcycle I recently led'd out for the sema show. its a zr1 themed hayabuse and it turned out very nice! its a little long but it shows what can be done with a 4 channel 4 function remote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sSFsufTNn8
Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Tim
Man, I tried every combination...I detached the LED strips, still the same issue, DRL's hyperflash and that's without even using the turn signal just when the lights are on. I then removed the parking LED's and replaced them with the old ones...NOTHING! I rewired the LED strip to run off the parking lights...NOTHING, DRL's still flashing. I tried to turn the DRL LED's 180 degres, I even swapped them with each other...NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, still flashing on their own. I even went as far as to replace my flasher, nothing.

I just ended up leaving the LED parking bulbs in and attaching the LED strip to the DRL's and replaced the switchbacks to stock. Now everything seems to work so it could be just as radioflyer said, and my DRL's are screwed for some reason or I require the use of diodes...on another note I do like the effect of when I put my turn signal on the LED strip and my DRL (stock bulb) alternate between each other. If I would have know of this effect I would have gotten a clear bulb for my DRL and got the amber LED strip instead. This would have been unique and cool.

I'll take a vid and post it when I get a chance...

Originally Posted by nascar57
I have th 60 led switchbacks in my car from jw with no problems. I do have a hyperflash harness also which works great.

I took a different approach with my led strips in the cornering lamps. I have these superbright led strips that have 3 leds in each chip. I have figured out how to solder the circuits on the strips so I can light each little led in the chip seperately. So I have drl's and turn signals in the same strip at the same time. I used tstars diagram to wire in the turn signal relays off the drl relays in the passenger footwell. The only regret is that these strips are a little wider than what you guys are using so they dont run the whole length of the cornering lamps. Here is a link to a video that shows them on the bench and another that shows them on the car. YOu will also notice I used the same setup in the coves for turn signals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddndu-hAxWw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzho3RfwJvU

This is a little off topic but it is a motorcycle I recently led'd out for the sema show. its a zr1 themed hayabuse and it turned out very nice! its a little long but it shows what can be done with a 4 channel 4 function remote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sSFsufTNn8
Very cool clips

Last edited by STALION; 10-03-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Man that's weird! I just don't have anymore suggestions buddy other then trying a new set of Switchbacks, sorry!

Tim
Old 10-04-2010, 05:54 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Man that's weird! I just don't have anymore suggestions buddy other then trying a new set of Switchbacks, sorry!

Tim
I think I'm done for this year messing with it. I'd rather drive the car then work on the issue for now...the weather looks good up here for the next couple of days, gotta enjoy it while we can
Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Ahmen! I'm putting mine away early this year I think... Went to my last Track session of the year yesterday and the old girl needs a break!

Tim
Old 10-28-2010, 07:05 AM
chevykevv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at doing this mod, but after buying a spare set of lights I melted the reflector inside before the glue gave way.

Any pictures of the slot cutting? I did see a thread on here regarding that but I can't find it anywhere.

Any help greatly appriciated.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Naranjas
Advanced

i can use sum of this stuff keep em coming... i want the leds also looks good when u put ur blinker on
Old 01-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Naranjas
i can use sum of this stuff keep em coming... i want the leds also looks good when u put ur blinker on
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

That is a nice mod.....
btw, unless you have a toaster on a marble counter in your garage...are you doing that crap on your kitchen marble (or immitation marble)countertop? Holychit...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice mod for OEM style lamp assy......I like the look. If I were not about to go to the new TS-2 front bumper with new LED lamp assembly, I would be very tempted to improve my OEM style turn signals with this....they look very nice indeed!
Congrats!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FiberglassFan
Nice mod for OEM style lamp assy......I like the look. If I were not about to go to the new TS-2 front bumper with new LED lamp assembly, I would be very tempted to improve my OEM style turn signals with this....they look very nice indeed!
Congrats!
Thanks

Post pics of your bumper, curious to see how the TS-2 will turn out
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only problem doing it this way is that the lens must be seperated in order to get the LED strip in. These strips don't last too long especially if you drive your Vette a lot, what happens is the LED's start going out three at a time and they will fail. I got mine from JWM and the way the LED's are inserted is through a channel dremmeled out of the rear of the lens and the strip inserted in from that back channel and sealed over with silicone. When the LED's fail (and they will) it's an easy fix as you just pull out the strip, insert a new one and silicone it back up, very easy. No having to seperate the lens every time. Just my .02 worth of experience in having these in for over two years now.

Last edited by Vettmann17; 09-27-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY LED lights

Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vettmann17
The only problem doing it this way is that the lens must be seperated in order to get the LED strip in. These strips don't last too long especially if you drive your Vette a lot, what happens is the LED's start going out three at a time and they will fail. I got mine from JWM and the way the LED's are inserted is through a channel dremmeled out of the rear of the lens and the strip inserted in from that back channel and sealed over with silicone. When the LED's fail (and they will) it's an easy fix as you just pull out the strip, insert a new one and silicone it back up, very easy. No having to seperate the lens every time. Just my .02 worth of experience in having these in for over two years now.
Actually, to put them back together I used clear silicone and not glue so it shouldn't be an issue. I may change my LED strip to amber so I'll do another right up if I go this route. That being said, I do agree that the best method is definitely to use a dremel. I got lucky with mine but they could have easily cracked!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Mlooney
Heel & Toe

Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Mlooney
Heel & Toe

Quick Reply: DIY LED lights