Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Isn't the C5 ZO-6 the lightest Corvette ever built???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:17 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
RC45... I still can't find any weight specs on those straight pipes other than what you said, so I can't agree with you yet. Regardless of Ti weighing 55% less than steel, there's still far more than 110% more metal used in making a full muffler vs just a single pipe that runs out the back. Therefore, mathematically something is wrong with the figure. So we haven't LEARNED anything about muffler weights. Show me the straight pipes on a scale or something.
Why do you have to be so obtuse?

As I said, my notes show Ti pipes 13# each, Borla XR-1's 15# per side and Borla Stingers 19# per side.

I am not the only person that has done this swap MULTIPLE times - it is up to YOU to prove we are incorrect.

And even if rough weighting was off, and the Borla XR-1 pipes weighed in at 12, 11 or even 10#'s perside, you are talking about a 2 to 4# weight difference in total.

Barely worth mentioning inreal world when the six pack of bears on the seat next to your would cancel out any weight savings - right?

The real point is that you are not as clued up on the details of the C5 Z06 as you thought you where ad now you ar elittle angry inside.

Some more food for thought for you. Did you have a 2001 or 2002-3-4 C5 Z06 on the scales?

I am sure you are well aware that the 2001 C5 Z06 (and the 1999/2000 FRC's) had light weight windshields and no HUD, removing further forward weight bias. This may have bene slightly offset by the inclusion of the pup-cats on the 2001 exhaust system, but then again the extra headliner and B-pillar padding in the 2002-3-4 models would again tip the scales to the rear.

What about the unique to early build 2001 rear window part number? Again, a lightened thinner glass that again reduced the rear weight.

Should we go on?

Last edited by RC45; 10-25-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:09 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45
Barely worth mentioning inreal world when the six pack of bears on the seat next to your would cancel out any weight savings - right?

a six pack of bears would surely take a big bite out of the weight of the driver. ;-)
Old 10-25-2010, 05:27 PM
RC45
Race Director

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
a six pack of bears would surely take a big bite out of the weight of the driver. ;-)
Yes they would
Old 10-26-2010, 04:01 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I already told you I weighed an 02 and an 03. But that's ok... I really don't even care anymore. You obviously have something to prove. I don't because I don't care. The point of this thread was thrown out the window a billion years ago. I'm going to go take some Nyquil and go to sleep. I'm not losing sleep over this.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:12 AM
RC45
Race Director

Well, I already told you I weighed an 02 and an 03. But that's ok... I really don't even care anymore. You obviously have something to prove. I don't because I don't care. The point of this thread was thrown out the window a billion years ago. I'm going to go take some Nyquil and go to sleep. I'm not losing sleep over this.
In other words you didnt realize that there where people who had been dotting the I's and crossing the T's of the details of this car since day 1.
I don't need to prove anything - the facts are in scale readouts. Always have been
Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

No. In other words I don't care. I know you really want me to care, which is why you keep bringing it up. But I just don't care.

But seeing how you keep bringing it up a lot, my guess is that you're usually wrong about a lot of stuff so when you can bring paper to conversation, you throw a ticker-tape parade and dance because you finally got something right. You must be tired of being called wrong or something. I have friends like you. And when they finally get something right, they go through hell and back just to make their point. Me? I get a lot of things right. So I don't dance in the streets when it happens.

So do your little dance, and rub it in my face... I still don't care, but whatever makes you feel better. LOL
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 PM
RC45
Race Director

No. In other words I don't care. I know you really want me to care, which is why you keep bringing it up. But I just don't care.

But seeing how you keep bringing it up a lot, my guess is that you're usually wrong about a lot of stuff so when you can bring paper to conversation, you throw a ticker-tape parade and dance because you finally got something right. You must be tired of being called wrong or something. I have friends like you. And when they finally get something right, they go through hell and back just to make their point. Me? I get a lot of things right. So I don't dance in the streets when it happens.

So do your little dance, and rub it in my face... I still don't care, but whatever makes you feel better. LOL
You seem rather butt-hurt that you never realized how light the stock Titanium exhaust really is. Don't take it to heart. And has been noted already I have forgotten more about about the C5 Z06 than most will ever know. But again, don't get too uptight about it.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Dude... You realize all you're talking about is the weight of Ti mufflers? Do you see why I really honestly and truly do not care? Who freaking cares that much about the weight of mufflers that you keep this going by bringing it up over and over. I'm not butt-hurt. I'm just dumbfounded how you just cannot believe I don't care about the weight of the mufflers so much to keep this conversation going.

And don't toot your own horn so much. I've been driving Z06's for 1 1/2 years and I already know quite a bit about the cars. Hell, I've fixed the majority of weird electrical issues they get, and I've done all the mechanical and electrical upgrades to my car myself. Considering the time we've had with our cars, I'm sure that what I know is more than sufficient.

So don't get all butt-hurt that I honestly don't care NEARLY as much as you apparently do about something so trivial as the weight of each side of the Ti mufflers...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:10 AM
c5z16jb
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fromes
Actually no, the O4 also came with the chrome wheels, which negated the weight savings that came from the hood.
Actually there not chrome there polished aluminum I should know,
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 AM
MR.Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by c5z16jb
Actually there not chrome there polished aluminum I should know,
Actually this has been pointed out already multiple times.

funny11nn3-1.gif?t=1288242629
Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 AM
hiredgun
Intermediate

As I said, my notes show Ti pipes 13# each, Borla XR-1's 15# per side and Borla Stingers 19# per side.
FYI-- I just sold my Borla XR-1 axle-back and they weighed 23.1 lbs (UPS scale)with the box and lots of packing. I figure they are about 10 lbs per side.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hiredgun
FYI-- I just sold my Borla XR-1 axle-back and they weighed 23.1 lbs (UPS scale)with the box and lots of packing. I figure they are about 10 lbs per side.
Sounds about right... But honestly, I don't want him to get going again. He'll start to think I actually care that much about it.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Fromes
Advanced

Actually no, the 2004 Z16 does NOT come with "chrome" wheels. No C5 Z06 ever came with "chrome" wheels.

They are high polished stock C5 Z06 wheels - not chrome.

I have to wonder how and where all this incorrect information comes from?

There seem to be a large number of C5 newcomers in the last 4 years that don't know the real low down on the cars.

So now class, we have now learned that the stock Ti mufflers are LIGHTER than even straight pipes and the Z16 wheels are not chrome, but rather highly polished aluminium...

Any other rumours that need quashing??

wow, dude, we are both wrong they are acutally clear coated,...so I guess you knowjust as little about car as I do about mine but, seriously, IT IS FACT that those wheels negated any weight advantage gained by the carbon fiber hood. Both the Commeriative edition and the normal Z06 weighed in at 3118 for the 2004 model year.

Do you self a favor buddy and do a little more research before knocking someone elses comment. People like you are the reason why people think corvette owners are asshats.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

The reason i keep fixing the rock chips in the windscreen is because I'm not sure if I could get the light wight windshield.

3092 to 3150 (with roll bar installed, and a higher roll center) In my world a heaver exhaust system would counter that roll center because most of that wight is below axel hight roll center.

I too have had most of the different system, but I keep coming back to the Ti's

I also lost 30lbs but only felt it when climbing hill on my bicycle.

Mark.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

ok feel embarrassed asking...i guess bc i havent ever taken the time to look it up. I have an 01Z. What is up with the 33XX lbs im seeing on the door sticker? Ive always heard and seen posts of guys saying the 01Z's were under or right around 3100lbs?....
Old 10-29-2010, 08:52 PM
MR.Z06
Racer

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...6/2001z06.html
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

thanks...one thing i see interesting is the gas mileage. it says 17 n 25...other places state 19-28???

Get notified of new replies

To Isn't the C5 ZO-6 the lightest Corvette ever built???

Old 11-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you have to be so obtuse?

I am not the only person that has done this swap MULTIPLE times - it is up to YOU to prove we are incorrect.

And even if rough weighting was off, and the Borla XR-1 pipes weighed in at 12, 11 or even 10#'s perside, you are talking about a 2 to 4# weight difference in total.
I had a great time reading all the nitpicking back and forth, very entertaining. I was curious about exhaust weights myself - it seems to me from a common sense perspective that the less tubing, lack of mufflers and half the tips of the straight pipes would negate the inherent lightness of the Ti exhaust.

So I did some searching. It seems like your Ti weights are pretty accurate. I have seen several people say 13, 14 or 15lbs per side. Close enough.

However, when I look up the weight for the Borla straight pipes, it seems harder to find. I did look up the shipping weight - 24.2lbs for the package. So you're talking the pipes, the clamps, and shipping materials (boxes, packing, etc). So you're talking what, 11lbs per side? Sounds about right, having held both in my hand.

See how fun this is?

On a serious note, while you may in fact know a lot about C5s, having an arrogant attitude about it is worse than being a newbie. Especially when you might actually be wrong. No one is perfect and it's really easy to get egg on your face when you're trying to puff out your chest and shower the masses with your superior knowledge. I'm not special, I've done it before, trust me.

Dope
Old 11-01-2010, 05:13 PM
RC45
Race Director

wow, dude, we are both wrong they are acutally clear coated,...so I guess you knowjust as little about car as I do about mine
No - you are misinformed.

The wheels are high polish with a clear coat to protect them, and in fact weigh about 1lb less than the painted wheels each.

The weight of a stripped wheel is 2lbs less than a painted wheel - I know I have a set of stripped wheels for track use.

The clear coat is lighter than the paint - again, I have had a set of Z16 wheels in my possession and when weighed they tipped the scales about 1lb less than the painted ones.

but, seriously, IT IS FACT that those wheels negated any weight advantage gained by the carbon fiber hood. Both the Commeriative edition and the normal Z06 weighed in at 3118 for the 2004 model year.
No - again, you are misinformed, the WHEELS did not offest the weight of the Z16 carbon hood, the Z16 wheels do not weigh a collective 10lbs more than the painted wheels.

Do you self a favor buddy and do a little more research before knocking someone elses comment. People like you are the reason why people think corvette owners are asshats.
No, people like you are why they think as such. There is no "extra research' to do, i was one fo the folks providing some of the weights and measures 'back in the day' as we learned about the cars.

I wont even go on about the extra pup cats deleted from 2001 to 2002 that should have saved weight but where offset by the added weight of the HUD for 2002 on, or are you now going to argue that C5 Z06's had HUD's from 2001 as well?

Nice try though.

Originally Posted by hiredgun
I just got off the phone with Borla, 11lbs per side was the estimate given to me. I dug out an old UPS receipt for the first set of XR-1's I had that I sold - 23Lbs for the pipes and box. So split the diff. and call it 10.5lbs.

The bottomline is that the stock Ti's are far lighter than people want to give them credit for, and the noise of the straight pipes negates the 3lbs per side weight savings, which is all I was really saying.

Originally Posted by Dope
On a serious note, while you may in fact know a lot about C5s, having an arrogant attitude about it is worse than being a newbie. Especially when you might actually be wrong. No one is perfect and it's really easy to get egg on your face when you're trying to puff out your chest and shower the masses with your superior knowledge. I'm not special, I've done it before, trust me.

Dope
There is no "puffing up" and showering going on, the gist of my reply was simply correcting a person that was spreading bad info and then they got upset when they where corrected.

The light weight of the XR-1's wasn't his hangup, his main hangup was he refused to believe the stock pipes could be so light.

These same debates where hashed to death in 2001 and 2002 - after almost 10 years one would expect some of the old bad information to be laid to rest already, I guess not.

Last edited by RC45; 11-01-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM
porchrd
Heel & Toe

Default TI versus everything

Do you guys know what it says on MISSOURI license plates???

it says """THE SHOW ME STATE"""

DO YOU GET IT?????

PUT YOUR RIDES & EXHAUST SYSTEMS ON A TRUCK SCALE

MAKE SURE THE SCALE IS CALIBRATED.

I HAVE A 04 ZO6 AND I SAY THE TI IS THE LIGHTEST & THE BEST OF

ALL THE OTHERS PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wheels are high polish with a clear coat to protect them, and in fact weigh about 1lb less than the painted wheels each.

The weight of a stripped wheel is 2lbs less than a painted wheel - I know I have a set of stripped wheels for track use.

The clear coat is lighter than the paint - again, I have had a set of Z16 wheels in my possession and when weighed they tipped the scales about 1lb less than the painted ones.

No - again, you are misinformed, the WHEELS did not offest the weight of the Z16 carbon hood, the Z16 wheels do not weigh a collective 10lbs more than the painted wheels.

No, people like you are why they think as such. There is no "extra research' to do, i was one fo the folks providing some of the weights and measures 'back in the day' as we learned about the cars.

I wont even go on about the extra pup cats deleted from 2001 to 2002 that should have saved weight but where offset by the added weight of the HUD for 2002 on, or are you now going to argue that C5 Z06's had HUD's from 2001 as well?

Nice try though.

I just got off the phone with Borla, 11lbs per side was the estimate given to me. I dug out an old UPS receipt for the first set of XR-1's I had that I sold - 23Lbs for the pipes and box. So split the diff. and call it 10.5lbs.

The bottomline is that the stock Ti's are far lighter than people want to give them credit for, and the noise of the straight pipes negates the 3lbs per side weight savings, which is all I was really saying.

There is no "puffing up" and showering going on, the gist of my reply was simply correcting a person that was spreading bad info and then they got upset when they where corrected.

The light weight of the XR-1's wasn't his hangup, his main hangup was he refused to believe the stock pipes could be so light.

These same debates where hashed to death in 2001 and 2002 - after almost 10 years one would expect some of the old bad information to be laid to rest already, I guess not.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: [Z06] Isn't the C5 ZO-6 the lightest Corvette ever built???