Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM
darkstar.c5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VET IT B
2000 Vert. New, out the door was around 58,000

For sale today, including some mods at 63,000

Serious inquiries only. If there are no takers, I will just wait until tomorrow. Mark
not bad looking for a 10 year old car..
Old 12-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Cratecruncher
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my '99 new so I've "suffered" more depreciation than most on this thread that were smart enough to buy theirs used. When it was new and under warranty I b*itched and moaned about the leaks, the sticky throwout bearing, the crazy fuel sender, the jammed seat belt retracters, the remote column lock that left me stranded, etc, etc.

Now that I'm past all that crap and the car is going on 12 years old it is truly a delight to drive. I have no squeaks or rattles, people think it's new, it costs me about $100 a year in repairs and everything works - even the tire pressure senders. Best of all - I get 30 mpg on the highway and it's a blast to drive. I'll probably keep it another 12 years at this rate. Who cares what the value is.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Cars ain't investments ... toys don't appreciate.

I don't pay attention to such things.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkstar.c5
not bad looking for a 10 year old car..
Not bad for a 10 yr old, I think it looks great! Might be the best body color for the magnesium wheels; again I think it looks great.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Anybody here who thinks we're really taking it in the shorts on Corvette values own a boat?
Old 12-12-2010, 02:46 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Let me be the first to congratulate you for a usless post, I have to say that the C5 is the best car I have ever bought and I have bought a few over the last 40 years and some were newer than my C5. Issues with my car have been next to nothing, Over 50K on it and it still drives and rides like it was new. If you take care of it, It will take care of you. I don't think parts are out of line price wise. Check the price on a Lexus headlight bulb...240 bucks....lol
Mr.Bill
I am honored to be the second! I've owned 3 c5s over the last few years and they are very good cars!
old Dave
Old 12-12-2010, 02:52 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought a sky new. You want to talk value drop try one of those. Since Saturn went away they are way down. Body parts are hard to get. There are not enough of them for the aftermarket to really support them. The only thing that really holds its value seems to be diesel PUs. I think its because they last so long and the new ones go up so much every year. Mine is a 2003 Chev and thats the last Duramax with no emission crap at all. Those go for more than the newer one of the same body style. Fuel milage has dropped on them with every change since. The new ones get the same MPG as a Gasser so why pay for the diesel.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:21 PM
99alvette
Racer

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
I bought a sky new. You want to talk value drop try one of those. Since Saturn went away they are way down. Body parts are hard to get. There are not enough of them for the aftermarket to really support them. The only thing that really holds its value seems to be diesel PUs. I think its because they last so long and the new ones go up so much every year. Mine is a 2003 Chev and thats the last Duramax with no emission crap at all. Those go for more than the newer one of the same body style. Fuel milage has dropped on them with every change since. The new ones get the same MPG as a Gasser so why pay for the diesel.
BullyDogs should be a factory option lol
Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Bully dog is not as good as Edge. I have Edge plus Banks intercooler and big head waste gate valve 4" exhaust air aid intake and pro fab air horn. Its got way more power than is safe in a truck. But it gets 14 mpg towing a 30' travel trailer and never drops out of overdrive at freeway speeds. Edge lets you change tunes on the fly and displays 4 items. Most important to me are EGT and Boost.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Kahle76
Racer

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
All of the above are good reasons. One thing is for sure, it's a good time to pick one up if you're in the market for a C5.
And yes I took your advice.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Personally I think $13,900 for a 98 is over priced. I bought my 99 in 07 for $17,000 and would be tickled to death to get even $12,500 for it with all the mods.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 AM
manley845
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcass
My Vette's not dropping in value-in fact it's worth more TO ME now than it was when I bought it.
Not planning on selling,so it doesn't matter what it's worth to anyone else.
This is the best point of view I've heard.

I feel exactly the same about my Vette. The value my car has to me will change from time to time, but I generally always want waaaayyyy more than it's worth to most other people. If someone wanted my car right now, I'd have to get at least $30k!!! Really, I wouldn't entertain any offers less than that.

I'll probably sell my car in a few years, and when I do I'll probably get retail price for it, just as I have with most of my cars and motorcycles.
Reselling a car is all about creating value in the eye of the potential buyer. I will never sell it for anywhere close to what I have paid into it, but that doesn't matter. It only matters that I get a good price for it WHEN i sell it.
It's important to note that mods and aftermarket parts only have a minimal effect on sale price, UNLESS you can show a value of those parts to a potential buyer.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by had2have-it
Not bad for a 10 yr old, I think it looks great! Might be the best body color for the magnesium wheels; again I think it looks great.
Thanks. It was 11 years old last month, 11/12/99 was the day I took delivery.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Blue Lightening
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine One
Anybody here who thinks we're really taking it in the shorts on Corvette values own a boat?
Thanks for making me choke on my morning coffee....
Old 12-13-2010, 09:09 AM
mfile2000
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Vettes arn't the only thing dropping in price, Look around, Housing, Other cars, They are all dropping.
Not true. Beer and Liquore keeps going up.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mfile2000
Not true. Beer and Liquore keeps going up.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Personally I think $13,900 for a 98 is over priced. I bought my 99 in 07 for $17,000 and would be tickled to death to get even $12,500 for it with all the mods.
There is one reason the forum price is lower. Everytime someone lists a car, experts jump on with criticism of the price being too high. Even if they're not in the market, they feel the need to tell someone else what they should ask for their car. A car they haven't even seen.

Get notified of new replies

To Why are vettes values dropping so fast

Old 12-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Z06Aspirations
Advanced

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
...general overall economy, lot's of vettes available out there.....and so it goes.
yup. economy is weak = prices must drop to the average consumer's level. also, there's a lot of vettes out there. supply and demand.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Flame suit on! Ummmmm, maybe the word's out they are a POS GM product that has to many problems and cost to much to repair.
The 2000 Corvette won the SAE best engineered car in the world award.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All Corvettes are investments. Some are great investments and some very poor. I noticed most on this thread are at least a little concerned about values and who wouldn't be? If you decide to sell some day you wouldn't want to give it away would you? Normally you would want to get at least some of your original investment back. I think we all expect to lose money on a C5, we just don't want to lose more than we expected.

Quick Reply: Why are vettes values dropping so fast