Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was the Corvette your dream car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultimate_Respect
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was the Corvette your dream car?

I know we each come from different walks of life. We may be separated by age, sex, and political views, although we all have one common factor….. We are Corvette owners. Unlike some other automobile owners it seems that majority of the general public are captivated by our cars. I do not see anything mesmerizing about a Corvette other than the fact that they a fast, although it seems like people love them. So the question is was the Corvette your dream car?

When I was 17, I wanted this red and black 1987 Mustang GT. I still remember the seller wanting $3500 for the car. I would stop by and tell the owner I will buy the car. I even tried to set up a payment arraignment. Needless to say I never got that car. Daily I would fantasize about driving it. A few years later I had saved all my money and I finally had purchased my very first car a 1993 Saleen SC.

I was extremely proud of my car and I remember the local Corvette club in Tampa would just humiliate me by laughing at my car in front of my then girlfriend. I figured I would get back at them by changing my license plate to (8ur vett). I think it worked on a few of them because at the end of the night they had lost and had given up some of their egotistical money. I still have an opinion I have that majority of the Corvette owners are conceited, even though I have meet a few really great owners. After my 2nd year of college, and having my girlfriend across country at California State University in long beach I had to make a choice… Do I keep my car which at the time was in the speed shop more than on the road, which I would have break up with my potential wife due to finical capabilities, or sell the car and keep the girl. Since she had promised once she gets done with college and attends medical school she would buy me a different Saleen. I had traded my mustang in for a C4 corvette.

I would say this was the best decision I had ever made. The handling was much more marvelous compared to the Saleen’s. The overall performance was a downgrade but the liability of the car was fantastic. I was able to have the car for over 9 years and had put over 180,000 miles on the car. The girlfriend did not work out she left me for a guy in pre med, they both later dropped out and both are working in non medical fields. They ended up breaking up and she is currently dating, while I have moved on got married to a wonder lady who did purchase me a C5. I guess I am not like most people, who have always dreamed of having a Corvette. I got one by chance and now the Corvette seems to be a part of me. I do not foresee me being without a corvette in my life. I know it was never my dream car but it is now my favorite car now.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

YES!!
Took me 35 yrs to get one from when i fell in love with the Corvette.
Life does have a habit of getting in the way of dreams sometimes (& expensive divorces)
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

First rode in one,,,back in '67, my cousin's brand new 427 tripower coupe. I was 10.

When my daughter inked the National Letter of Intent six years ago. I started shopping,,,,,,and then bought my dream car! Just a Chevy!

Tomorrow is my first full day off in months,,,,new cam and mods last weekend,,,,guess what I am going to do?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Definetly! I spent many years driving Camaros and Trans Ams hoping to someday have a corvette. I bought my first vette with high miles and some flaws(what I could afford). Now I've finally been able to buy the flawless, low mileage Z06 I intend to keep in my garage forever.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 PM
JohnnyDee
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

It still is!!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 342 Likes on 281 Posts

YES! It truthfuly was and is

My wife told me that I always said I would get a Corvette one day - and we were married at 18 now married 21 years and I do have my dream car and I freaking love it!

I also wanted a Blown/Supercharged motor and now I have the best of both worlds with the Vette

Thanks,Matt
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 PM
K9Leader
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 184 Posts

I have a '99 convertible that became mine a few months ago, and, while I had always admired Corvettes, it was not the car I always dreamed of owning.

When I was a kid, I built model cars and remember putting together a 1957 Corvette and have always loved the lines of that model. I've owned sports/sporty cars before - 1975 280Z, two late '80s Acura Integras, a '94 Lincoln Mark VIII (Cobra engine!) - but what I always daydreamed about was a 1960s Mustang convertible or Fastback. When the current generation Mustang came out, I started seeing myself in a GT convertible.

I had figured that once my children were out of college I could cajole my wife into letting me get something fun - a Mustang convertible ('60s or current), maybe a Miata, maybe another early Z.

My father is a car guy and his retirement hobby has been collecting and playing with cars. A little over 3 years ago he surprised us when he came home with this '99 Corvette convertible to add to his collection of Lincolns ('85 Town Car, '98 Mark VIII, and '02 LS). Since then he has added a '94 Jaguar XJS convertible (the 12-cylinder!) and a 2010 Saturn Sky Redline Special Edition. It was the Sky that sent my mother over the edge and her edict that something had to go so I "helped him out" by taking the Corvette. My son graduated this year and is gainfully employed and off the payroll but I still have 2-1/2 years until my daughter graduates and is off the payroll so good ole' Dad helped my car plan unfold a little early.

I love the Corvette and plan to keep it until my children have to take my keys away from me. However, I can see myself adding other fun cars in future years - that classic Mustang, or a more modern Mustang (convertible), or maybe I can track down my old 280Z or one like it, or maybe even a '61 Corvette (the year I was born) . . . or maybe all of them!
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

A C5 is the only car that I saw and thought "I have to have one of those!!" It took me a few years and we had the C4 for a few years before it, but finally last year I got my dream car and everytime I walk downstairs into my garage, I look at it and still can't believe it is mine!!
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, I wanted a Viper when I was about 18 or so. It is next in line for me to own though.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Till I bought one. Now it's gone and I don't miss it.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:16 PM
chrisk92
Suspended by request 16 May 2012

Originally Posted by 91redragtop
A C5 is the only car that I saw and thought "I have to have one of those!!" It took me a few years and we had the C4 for a few years before it, but finally last year I got my dream car and everytime I walk downstairs into my garage, I look at it and still can't believe it is mine!!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I wanted one since I was 11 and rode in a brand new 63 Split Window Couple. Though about it day and night until I bought my first Vette in the 80's.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 PM
G-lo
Racer

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
Nope, I wanted a Viper when I was about 18 or so. It is next in line for me to own though.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 PM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Sure was. Finally picked mine up this year.
Les
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 PM
cookie7
Advanced

Hi everyone new to the fourm.YESSS my Corvette is my dream car .My uncle Bill Mecum was a supervisor at the Flint GM factory,and worked in the original "SKUNKWORKS" in Flint.I remember as a little kid all of the 'Vettes he had and was in awe for the rest of my life.He built racing motors as a side job and over the years aquired 7 '53,58,62,63,69,72 and 74.Last year my Wife of 23 years bought me a sweet '01for my b-day;If all goes as planned it will be with me till I pass on ...DAMN I LOVE THIS CAR;and my wife ;not in that order thou;well maybe..Nice to be her thanks Matt
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes it was.

Just not the corvette I wound up with

Would probably have been a C2 coupe, that went out the window when I started looking due to price at the time. After that I was pretty sure it was the C3, that went out due to the need for a better ride (wifey post surgery at the time I was looking).

Wound up being the C5.

Sooooo glad I didnt wind up in my first two choices

Best decision I ever made
Old 12-17-2010, 11:16 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know if I'd go as far as calling it my dream car,,but it definitely was at the top of the list of cars that I would love to own!! I LOVE all hot cars,,mainly American iron,,and the Corvette was one that I got to drive briefly in my late teens(a 65 coupe),,and I was bitten by the bug!!!The vette is one of those rare cars that has great performance and if you wait for it,come within the reasonable price range used,,and if you are in that income group,,new!!I may not dream about them,,,,but I sure have LUSTED after a LOT of them!!

Get notified of new replies

To Was the Corvette your dream car?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like most kids, when I was in high school, the Corvette was my dream car. When I got commissioned in the Marine Corps I almost bought one, but instead ended up with a Trans-Am. When the C4s first came out they got enough negative press that I shrugged off the Corvette idea pretty much for good. At that point I was into Nissan Z cars and had a pretty nice 300ZX Turbo. In the ensuing years between mortgages, kid's college tuition, etc., the idea of owning a Corvette just sort of disappeared. I didn't feel deprived or anything, as I had owned one V-8 powered Mustang Convertible or another since 2000, and have another toy in the form of a Bayliner 2855 cabin cruiser. When I started having troubles with the 2007 Mustang GT Convertible and couldn't get anything but lip service from my local dealer ,I started looking into buying a Corvette. With the support of my wife, I was in the drivers seat of my first Corvette ten days later!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

LOL. Well actually the Porche was .....but as good luck and fortune would have it, this is my second Vette (C3 and now a 50th anniv. C5 vert) I love my C5 and just reciently purchased a Chevy SSr which I really enjoy. But I love my Vette MORE! Long live Corvette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merry Christmas to all, Rob
Old 12-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 238 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Nope. But I'm sure glad things turned out like they did!!

My "dream" car was always an AC Cobra, probably the 289. Three years ago, I was finally in a position to buy one. Sure, it would have to be a replica, but I was going to buy a good one, already done. I got approval to finance 27.5 K and went shopping.

Well.....first time trying to drive one....I didn't fit....at all. I couldn't even get my left leg in to shut the door and my head was so far above the windshield I musta looked the total freak.

My main criteria for an alternate "dream" car was first to fit me, but also that it be rear-drive and have some ponies....and only room for two.

I always liked C2 Stingrays but not the C3's. The C4 got my interest again, but the C5 to me was just a knock-out looking car. The more I studied it and looked around, the more I liked it.

Then I went to test drive....HELLO!! Perfect....perfect fit, perfect sound, perfect look, and perfect G's into the seat-back. I was bitten.

I started looking for a torch-red model until I saw this Pewter beauty at a local exotic car lot (Ferrari, Maserati, Saleen, Lamborghini). It was up for $29.5. I said I had $27.5 and they quickly said...."okay". SOLD.

While I still harbor a desire to have a Cobra, I'm far too distracted by this beautiful Corvette to even think about it much. Plus, I've always leaned toward GM so it fits nicely....and literally.

Quick Reply: Was the Corvette your dream car?