Took the RedTop dive today

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,014 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I hope the red top serves you well!

My OE battery died 4 years ago in the middle of nowhere and the only replacement I could find was a wet cell. I have the terminals torqued properly, sits on an acid absorptive mat and is wrapped in a "blanket". Still gives me the ******* though, any thoughts on the AGM from Sears?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
0chargerconnection
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11
Default StealthLink for Easy Connection of Tenders

For a hassle free connection of your battery maintainers, check out StealthLink at:

www.chargerconnection.com

Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by chargerconnection

For a hassle free connection of your battery maintainers, check out StealthLink at:

www.chargerconnection.com

Nice looking mod. Where does the wiring route? Does it hook into the circuit at the rear or run to the battery?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:25 AM
0chargerconnection
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11
Default StealthLink Wiring

We mount the electrical receptacle to a custom bracket that is attached to the license plate lamp housing. The wiring from the receptacle is routed behind the rear fascia, over the right rear fender well, forward through the hollow rocker panel, to the battery.

The positive wire is attached to the terminal on the fuse panel and the ground wire is secured to a chassis ground just below the battery.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:53 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Antvette, uberC5, Humy, peter pan, wit2pz, TN Vette, jrose7004, and DeeGee, I'm glad to hear you've all been pleased with your Optimas. While Camaros tend not to have parasitic draws as significant as Corvettes, they do still draw some current when parked. Either vehicle will benefit from regular use of a quality battery tender or maintainer. DeeGee is correct about more knowledge of a vehicle's electrical system leading to fewer dead battery issues. Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. My wife's truck is driving around with a “dead” YellowTop that was returned to us at 7 volts.

JeepTJ, the only charger setting you should be using on your RedTop is the 2-amp setting, as anything above 10 amps can damage your battery. I am concerned that either your vehicle has a significant draw that discharges your battery in four days time or your battery may not be getting fully-charged. Can you tell me what the key-off load is on your car?

c5 BearsFan, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had with your batteries. What were the circumstances surrounding your issues and the voltage on your returned batteries? Please PM me the contact information for your Advance Auto, as we'd like to follow up on the retail end as well.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 02-21-2011, 05:19 PM
qipman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Chargerconnection for this information. I assume that this would need to be installed while the car is lifted..?

Has anyone here went with this product, it seems like a perfect solution to using up your trickle charger.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
0chargerconnection
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11
Default Installation

To install the StealthLink, the right inboard taillight is removed to gain access to the license plate lamp housing. The car must be jacked to remove the right rear tire and fender liner. A small access panel in the right front fender well is also removed.

Removal of the battery and tray makes the install quite a bit easier, but I've been told it's not required. Typical installation takes less than 2 hours.

PM or email your email address if you'd like me to send the instructions in PDF format.

sales@chargerconnection.com
Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default All in a day . . .

Originally Posted by qipman
Actually, my battery replacement started out with me originally deciding against the optima series since I keep hearing that they are problematic and die right after the 3 year warranty period, so after doing research settled on a Duralast Gold and picked one up at Auto Zone. While the folks there were very helpful, I did not have a good feeling since the first battery they put on the counter for me had acid right on top of it. They went back and found that “another” brand was leaking all over the Duralast ones under it.

I reluctantly took one of these batteries and stopped by the grocery store on my way home. I wiped off the battery before going into the store and when I came out 30 minutes later, the Duralast was leaking a bit right in the trunk of my family vehicle!

At that point, I realized that the lesser of evils was to go with a battery that won’t leak and take a chance of it dying early.

I can only hope that this optima will do good for me, noting that I will be using a trickle charger since I don’t get to drive the vette often. Time will tell…
I put one (75/25 Optima Red Top) in my 2003 three years ago and it's been good to me. I was afraid of a leaker as well. The only thing you need to do is to put a float charger on it if your not going to use the car for awhile. I have a great trickle charger all winter. and 2. don't over load the battery with a ton of aftermarket electronics like amps and different radios CD players and so on.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 AM
qipman
Racer

Thanks. I have a ctek 3300 mounted on the wall next to the car and hooked up while the car is not in use. No plans for any aftermarket electronics.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I hope the red top serves you well!

My OE battery died 4 years ago in the middle of nowhere and the only replacement I could find was a wet cell. I have the terminals torqued properly, sits on an acid absorptive mat and is wrapped in a "blanket". Still gives me the ******* though, any thoughts on the AGM from Sears?
The Sears Platinum AGM is, according to testing done by Consumer Reports, the best battery out there. However, at $200 (after tax) and as heavy as a boat anchor, it may not be for everyone.

I still feel that the best bang-for-the-buck is the Costco Kirkland battery at $63.00. Leaks are virtually non-existant after the battery manufacturers have strengthened any weak areas in the cases, quite a few years ago. I've been driving now for 37 years and have never had a leaking battery. Chances are good that I never will.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Hmmm, I thought the C5 had a 15 minute timer to turn off the light just in case they were left on?
Dunno... my mirror lights were shining bright at the tail end of a summer sunset. When I realized it was brighter inside the car than outside, I turned off the switch and voila! No mo' battery issues!

I have had other electrical gremlins, but nothing to do with the battery.

Oh, and I did need a jump from my wife's Camry when installing the new stereo, I let it run too long without the car running.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 PM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My first RedTop lasted only about 9 months, the second one was doing well at 6 years!.....but after a seat control module failed and drained it to ZERO, rather than fuss with re-charging it, I just got another one. I MUST stress that one with 6 years of daily driver use was DOING FINE until it got abused by draining to zero....but the story is not over for it yet...after a few weeks of slow trickle charge, that 6 year old one is now installed and working in my old VWGulf 16 valve 2 liter!!!

They seem to be either VERY VERY good, or not at all..... and not much in between

Last edited by FiberglassFan; 02-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Humy
I've had the same optima redtop in my beast since early 2001 - no issues, but people are really badmouthing the new ones
Your 2001 Red Top is NOT the same as todays Red Top.. Optimas are a P-O-S.. Their warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. Their customer service is a JOKE. The guy that is the forum supporter talks a good talk, but never helped me when my 1 month old Red Top crapped out.. The yellow Top I have now is marginal and will NOT be replaced with another Optima. Im going with the AC Delco Professional next time around and saving $100.. I laugh every time I see some guy claiming he parked his C5 last season with his Red Top left in the car WITHOUT a tender and then claims it started right up with no issues.. I smell BS there.. That is 100% IMPOSSIBLE!
If you like to walk, buy a Red Top!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:57 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Optima knowledge.

Originally Posted by Humy
I've had the same optima redtop in my beast since early 2001 - no issues, but people are really badmouthing the new ones
Mine's been in there since 06, Been good to me. But I try taking car of it, good float charger, and I don't go installing a bunch of amps or other electronics all strung together with a couple of miles of Monster wire. But hay, that's just my $0.02
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 PM
98vette4ever
Heel & Toe

Nothing like buying a $200 battery and having to keep it on a charger so your car will start..
Ill go with the best Costco battery or WalMart battery.. They will at least honor the warranty without any BS
Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 AM
BumbleZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Little Known Trick....?

I bought my 02Z about 10 months ago. I went to the dealer to get it checked out and he mentioned the red top that the previous owner had put in it. The service manager told me a little known secret about C5 vettes is that the drain on the battery can be defeated if you always leave the car in reverse when you shut down. I travel a lot and have been doing this and haven't had any problems at all. The beast fires every time....
Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 AM
uberC5
Racer

Originally Posted by BumbleZ
I bought my 02Z about 10 months ago. I went to the dealer to get it checked out and he mentioned the red top that the previous owner had put in it. The service manager told me a little known secret about C5 vettes is that the drain on the battery can be defeated if you always leave the car in reverse when you shut down. I travel a lot and have been doing this and haven't had any problems at all. The beast fires every time....
I've heard of that trick for the C6, but never for the C5. I might just give it a try when I'm away from my trickle charger, can't hurt.

Get notified of new replies

To Took the RedTop dive today

Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 AM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by BumbleZ
Did I mention I wear a foil beanie so aliens can't read my thoughts...
Old 02-24-2011, 12:50 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

3rd_Vette, I'm sorry my previous efforts to assist you did not meet your expectations and I'm sorry to hear you are not pleased with your YellowTop. What is it about the battery or it's performance that is disappointing to you?

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.powerpacknation.com
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
mfile2000
Pro

I'll ask the stupid question. Why not get the battery from the Chevy dealer?

Quick Reply: Took the RedTop dive today