Sponsored by:

HID flicker - noob question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

[QUOTE=Bluefire;1579577452]

I have ran 6000K HID's low and fog for four years now. Never a passenger flash or a word from John Law.

Same here! Its the FOG HIDs only driving at night they do not go for!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:19 PM
tak06
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire

I have ran 6000K HID's low and fog for four years now. Never a passenger flash or a word from John Law.

FWIW - It isn't a matter of a miracle/luck whether the relay harness or resistors work or don't. The OEM system expects to read the current going through a 55 ohm/watt OEM bulb. Aftermarket ballasts offer 35 ohms to the system. The system freaks and either doesn't light them or they won't close. The relay harness (through the relays coil resistance) or a (fixed 55 ohm resistor) shows the system 55 ohms it requires to beleive the system is functioning properly. No magic.
In purely technical sense that maybe true, but how to you account for the fact that numerous C5 owners with HID's including my C5Z as well as my son's C5Z's headlight bucket's function normally without the resistors?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tak06
In purely technical sense that maybe true, but how to you account for the fact that numerous C5 owners with HID's including my C5Z as well as my son's C5Z's headlight bucket's function normally without the resistors?
Thats a 6 million dollar question! Z,s are different? Mine is a stock 98 C5 and had the problem when I went to HI beam HIDs would be interesting to see if there is a pattern between years and types.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tak06
It is difficult to say. Many variables in the installation process. The length of wire, gauge, quality of crimp/solder joints, connector pins all effect the total resistance the system sees.

Then again, we can't truly rule out voodoo.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGary2011

Yep! your lucky!
TNX Zora has a good point about load, by taking away the usual load (lamps) and placing the relay as the load (hardly any due the harness providing power on a different circuit) , the current is different and the onboard computer can get confused. By adding the resistor you are essentually putting back the sensed load!
Course one install on a vette does not really add credance to "many installed". When installing mine, I was also lucky, untill I added HI beam HIDs, then I had interesting things happen with my headlights going down, installed the resistor, no more issues. Having been in a group "Sun Guns how to install" with over 20 various C5's our install forum showed an unbelieaved variance in problems related to the headlamps motor (vary interesting and broad). I was one of those lucky guys and bragged about how mine worked well (right).
Those "dedicated vendors" are not corvette dedicated! Check out JW Motoring for the resistor, its cheap, easy to install and solves the problem!
Just to clear a few things up..........
I never mentioned any "dedicated vendors". My term was using a dedicated wiring harness. I understand that using resistors works for many and that is great. But many have never needed resistors on any of their HID installs, I am one. Also, I have installed HIDs on several C5s, not just one. My point was simply that using a dedicated battery based relay harness with larger size wires should always be a positive on any lighting install. But as always "different strokes for different folks"
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire

FWIW - It isn't a matter of a miracle/luck whether the relay harness or resistors work or don't. The OEM system expects to read the current going through a 55 ohm/watt OEM bulb. Aftermarket ballasts offer 35 ohms to the system. The system freaks and either doesn't light them or they won't close. The relay harness (through the relays coil resistance) or a (fixed 55 ohm resistor) shows the system 55 ohms it requires to beleive the system is functioning properly. No magic.

I have also run 6000K HID's lows and fogs since 07 and never had an issue with other drivers or LEOs.
And your comment on how the relay's coil resistance makes good sense to me.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:18 PM
SpiralGray03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my HID fog light setup from autoilumnation who uses Japanese ballasts, and although I was able to use the stock circuitry, I added a relay for additional security. You probably need a relay fitted with 16 gauge wire to power up your ballasts, which I am betting will correct the problem. See this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ight-woes.html
Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrprich
Just to clear a few things up..........
I never mentioned any "dedicated vendors". My term was using a dedicated wiring harness. I understand that using resistors works for many and that is great. But many have never needed resistors on any of their HID installs, I am one. Also, I have installed HIDs on several C5s, not just one. My point was simply that using a dedicated battery based relay harness with larger size wires should always be a positive on any lighting install. But as always "different strokes for different folks"
I agree a seperate wiring harness is needed. Sorry about the "dedicated vendor" must of been still sleeping!
Think this is a
Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiralGray03
I got my HID fog light setup from autoilumnation who uses Japanese ballasts, and although I was able to use the stock circuitry, I added a relay for additional security. You probably need a relay fitted with 16 gauge wire to power up your ballasts, which I am betting will correct the problem. See this post: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ight-woes.html

Good info there, thanks!

Quick Reply: HID flicker - noob question