Sponsored by:

2001 ac problem blowing hot

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
stockishz06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 ac problem blowing hot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok my wife has a 2001 corvette, the ac comes on the clutch engages the lines get cold but out the vents is warm arm with the ac on the lowest setting, the passenger side is maybe 5 degrees cooler than the driver side but its like it stuck on vent

you can run the temp up on the car and the air does get hot just like it should on both sides being the same temp on a dual climate control

it seems to me like a door that switches from hot air to cold air to vent is broke or something i have no clue and it gives me a headache trying to figure it out,

any help would be great summer is coming quick and i would like to have it fixed

thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Check your freon level.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your codes first...there are some for the actuators ...
Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 PM
stockishz06
Advanced

freon level good

how do i pull up the codes again i know its some crazy button pushing and where do i find out what the codes are
Old 01-21-2012, 12:33 AM
stockishz06
Advanced

found the code guide no hvac codes at all it did throw

loss of communication with bcm
loss of communication undertermined
door lock mirror heater fit
tach signal circuit malfunction

i didnt clear them and see what came up again but im not sure about the first and second if someone could help
Old 01-22-2012, 11:26 PM
stockishz06
Advanced

anyone?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:29 PM
LMFD296
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

How did you check your r134A level? try a full drain and then refill.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
homewrecker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LMFD296
How did you check your r134A level? try a full drain and then refill.
Listen to my fellow Jake here. I bet you a buffalo nickel (I don't have one) that it just needs a can of R-134a. Just pick a can up at your friendly auto parts store and just refill it.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 AM
stockishz06
Advanced

A buddy of mine has a mechanic shop, and Im an a/c tech by profession, we.recovered all the freon out of.it and recharged it to full, the lines are sweating just like they shoukd everything is working just no cokd air, I wish it was that simple,
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 AM
stockishz06
Advanced

Its almost like the doors inside the blower assembly are stuck or broke, but it does.go to heat just like it should i wish i was an obvious broken piece or somethn, I kinda took apart the lower part of the dash and a cover off the blower assembly and I could see one actuator for.the.door.im guessing and I coukd.switch it from heat to.cool and feel the actutor move and I coukd see the bars turning but inside the box is a differant story
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
stockishz06
Advanced

I know the dual climate controls displays are bad about going out, well this one was out wheb we got the car air worked perfect.so around september is when the problem start so I found the thread on how to repair the display so I did and it works flawless, everything lights up just like it shoukd,

Could this still be the problem if the display went out whats not to say something else inside there isnt messed up also to not allow the ac to come on

Just trying to think of anything
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
billmiller8
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockishz06
I know the dual climate controls displays are bad about going out, well this one was out wheb we got the car air worked perfect.so around september is when the problem start so I found the thread on how to repair the display so I did and it works flawless, everything lights up just like it shoukd,

Could this still be the problem if the display went out whats not to say something else inside there isnt messed up also to not allow the ac to come on

Just trying to think of anything
You never said where you live. I'm not a mechanic, and this may or may not be a dumb answer in your case, but if your just trying to get it ready for summer and just checking everything, the manual says the AC will not work if temp is between 35 and 40 degree's outside.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 PM
stockishz06
Advanced

it went out at the end of summer, well i live in gulfport mississippi so summer is 11 months out of the year, i need to get it fixed before it gets misserable hot and uncomfortable to even drive the car with the windows down

anyone ever hear of the actual flaps or doors that controls where the air comes from breaking or something
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM
LMFD296
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally have never seen this is a c5 but i have seen it in a few vw's where the motors for the flaps failed.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
stockishz06
Advanced

Ok a member told me about bad actuator door so I looked up the part number and the actuator is actually interchangable with alot of vehicles, a buddy of mine with a mechanic shop has a s10 goin to scrap with the same part number actuator and since the driver side can be changed without removing the dash im gona swap them over, and if it works then ill order new ones and pull the dash and.change both ill keep yall posted what happens
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 PM
bj454ss
Instructor

Some older threads talk about the battery leaking and corroding a vaccum iine thats underneath the battery tray. When mine had same issue it was low on freon. I had a friend check it and he said it was not low. When I brought it to the dealer they said it was low and the compressor was leaking. Had them charge it last May and its still blowing cold.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 PM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think if my memory serves right, the flap or actuator is actually controlled by vacuum. I'd take a look at some of your vac lines like bj454ss said.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 ac problem blowing hot

Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM
stockishz06
Advanced

Yea I heard about that also the line under the battery, and it was good I did the brake cleaner test, I know I shouldnt do it but I did, take brake cleaner and kinda mist it iver the engine in various locations wheb the engine is running and the motor should rev if you hit a vacuum leak and I didnt find anythung ive checked everything ive heard about the last thing is to replace the actuators unless someone else.comes up with somethn I havnt tried yet
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
stockishz06
Advanced

And I recovered my freon pulled a vacuum on the hole system it held.for several hours and I recharged it back to the ounce of what alldata program calls for and it was with a $3000 digital ac machine at my buddys shop
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM
mikesvette1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

On my 2001 my vacuum line on the back on the manifold was was blocked from glue from the previous try to fix. i replaced the line and it seemed to work better but still not right. It was blowing cold but not very hard out of the drivers side. I bought the modulator and removed the glove box and all the underneat stuff and removed the manifold and tested for vacuum leaks, I had none, before replacing the modulator i starting plugging up line on the manifold and found out that the red tube being plugged boosted the air pressure out of the cold air coming out of the drivers side vent, like it supposed to be. The only drawback was when the vents are suppose to be the floor only i get the dash too. Everything else works fine and i could live with that since i live in Arkansas so i plugged the red line and everything works for me, best of luck and hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 2001 ac problem blowing hot