Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I like the before
Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the covers on my car and I like them . They clean up easily and look good on the Vette. I am not trying to impress anyone that my car has "big" brakes. I do not care what they think!!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:16 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
this might be your problem, your perception is off. if it said brembo then it would look Ok and not ricey.
thats not how I look at it, if said brembos, now it's clearly pretending to be something that it isn't. I see it as it is, a caliper cover, not a big brake kit
Old 02-04-2012, 03:44 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,699 Likes on 1,495 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

For the cost, I would rather find a good powder coater.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Kman1971
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MSG C5
For the cost, I would rather find a good powder coater.
Is that what you did to yours?

You mean powder coat the original calipers on the front and back?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Never did like the looks of those, Any Corvette enthusiasts will know they are fake.
Just my opinion.
Mr.Bill
Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM
RaW Z06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not for me
Old 02-04-2012, 05:11 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight up rice. Those covers are the definition of "rice". If you want clean looking calipers, clean your business. If you want big looking calipers, buy bigger brakes. My $.02. I'd be disappointed to see those on a nice clean Vette in person.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Kman1971
OK, again I am new to all this and just trying to learn and understand, so what is the real deal? New brakes, calipers and rotors????

I bought the car used and it appears mostly stock. Here is what is on there now and how I bought it. The appear silver but faded. Is this stock? What would be an upgrade? I like the look of the Black Brake covers like the red ones above. I also like the look of the highly polished,slotted, and drilled rotors. What would be the "real" upgraded look??? What are the real costs to do this type of upgrade??
Thanks for the patience and help in advance.

Front

Back
aha, ok....here's what you need to do over time, or all at once if you have the cash. 1) paint the stock calipers (that is what you have now) a color of your choice...most common is Red or Black, but some go with matching your body color...even Silver will look better that stock due to the high gloss finish. 2) Eventually, upgrade your rotors to drilled and slotted...the stock rotors you have are basic, function over form. 3) Go for aftermarket wheels with large windows (so you can see your calipers shine) and at the same time upsize to at least an 18/19 inch setup which is the most common and the most logical size to upgrade to. 4) You will need a new set of tires to go with #3. 5) lower the car if it is at stock height right now....you want to coordinate your ride height with all of these changes so the wheel well looks even around the outside of the tire. 6) If you can afford it, get the Baer rotors with enlarged rear wheel diameter compared to stock...this will make the overall profile of your car look correct...the stock rear rotor diameter looks horribly undersized otherwise. Like I said, you don't have to do all of this at one time....it's ok to spread it out over your budget limitations...enjoy the car!
Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

100% crap.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,765 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I bought them when they first came out...sold them right away. They do not fit well and the guy is making a killing on them at the exorbitant price they are at now. run away as fast as you can and save up for the real deal....
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kman1971
OK, again I am new to all this and just trying to learn and understand, so what is the real deal? New brakes, calipers and rotors????

I bought the car used and it appears mostly stock. Here is what is on there now and how I bought it. The appear silver but faded. Is this stock? What would be an upgrade? I like the look of the Black Brake covers like the red ones above. I also like the look of the highly polished,slotted, and drilled rotors. What would be the "real" upgraded look??? What are the real costs to do this type of upgrade??
Thanks for the patience and help in advance.
Less than $200

Buy a set of Zinc coated drilled and slotted rotors. We have a vendor here on the forums that sells the rotors and pads for $180 shipped. I've purchased several sets from this vendor over the years and they look great and hold up great(4 different cars).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...9-shipped.html

While you have it apart to replace the brakes, clean and paint the calipers with high temp caliper paint(header paint works as well). I went through several color combinations on my old coupe:

Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Complete and utter rice...
Old 02-04-2012, 10:44 PM
sablan'01
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I like the before shot...
Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 717 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Never did like the looks of those, Any Corvette enthusiasts will know they are fake.
Just my opinion.
Mr.Bill
Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 158 Posts

aha, ok....here's what you need to do over time, or all at once if you have the cash. 1) paint the stock calipers (that is what you have now) a color of your choice...most common is Red or Black, but some go with matching your body color...even Silver will look better that stock due to the high gloss finish. 2) Eventually, upgrade your rotors to drilled and slotted...the stock rotors you have are basic, function over form. 3) Go for aftermarket wheels with large windows (so you can see your calipers shine) and at the same time upsize to at least an 18/19 inch setup which is the most common and the most logical size to upgrade to. 4) You will need a new set of tires to go with #3. 5) lower the car if it is at stock height right now....you want to coordinate your ride height with all of these changes so the wheel well looks even around the outside of the tire. 6) If you can afford it, get the Baer rotors with enlarged rear wheel diameter compared to stock...this will make the overall profile of your car look correct...the stock rear rotor diameter looks horribly undersized otherwise. Like I said, you don't have to do all of this at one time....it's ok to spread it out over your budget limitations...enjoy the car!

with 18/19 wheels I went with C6Z51 brakes and painted the calipers black and brackets silver with high temp header paint then used high temp clear over the top coat. I also painted the brake hats in the same manner. Here's the outcome prior to paint burn off. Still look good after several years.

BTW the cover look like a san fransco treat...rice

Last edited by yaknow; 02-04-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 AM
av8rdavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save you $ and do things right way if you plan on keeping it a while....Plan on spending upwards of 3500.00 for all 4 wheels, tires, Z06 rotors, Z06 pbr calipers, paddets, Stainless lines, dot 4 and a few hours of detailing your suspension while at it.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't care what anyone says, I like my 'Brembo Caliper Covers'.

Seriously, have you ever seen these things on old hot muscle car, Porsche etc? Did you ever wonder WHY?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Kman1971
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

THANKS GUYS... This is exactly what I was looking for and why this forum is so awesome, UNLIKE THE RICE COMMENTS. I think I will take Mawnee's advise below to start and work my way to this advise when I can upgrade the wheels and tires. I really can't stand the "RICE" comments because I think it is all the eye of the beholder, but I want upgrades that are performance based as well as eye candy, nothing less for a CORVETTE!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Rice or nice?