Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth 5-6hours drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha yea man the pain! Hopefully in spring more pops up. I cant stand silver the main color i want is dark blue or black. I can suffer red or white but still! Def want a coupe and a standard transmission. Its like taboo in this area for a reasonable price. But with any luck both of us will be in a vette come summer time!

I bought my zx10r instead of using that money to get a vette and regret most days of it, esp this winter to cold to ride buy fine for a vette... There's that one at c&s in omaha for 21k with a kennebell on it but its a frc. And everything else is 20-30k for a frickin c5 with over 50k!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 AM
red89c4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnn999
The only thing im concerned about is the cost to drive back. If I flew or drove a rental all the way from Omaha to Dallas and then either rental car back or a vette back that'd probably cost a decent chunk. The savings on a car down there might be exceeded by the cost of going to get the vehicle. I guess id have to do the math.
rental car 1 way Atlanta to Macomb Ill $153.00
week end trip with my wife to get HER 93 vert priceless!

PM sent
Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Haha yea man the pain! Hopefully in spring more pops up. I cant stand silver the main color i want is dark blue or black. I can suffer red or white but still! Def want a coupe and a standard transmission. Its like taboo in this area for a reasonable price. But with any luck both of us will be in a vette come summer time!

I bought my zx10r instead of using that money to get a vette and regret most days of it, esp this winter to cold to ride buy fine for a vette... There's that one at c&s in omaha for 21k with a kennebell on it but its a frc. And everything else is 20-30k for a frickin c5 with over 50k!
You looked at c6's at all? I originally started out looking strictly at c5's, but after looking for a month with no luck I started looking at c6's as well...there's a lot more of them available and frankly the prices aren't that much more than c5's. I think I still like the outside of the c5's better but the interior is way better in the c6 (plus extra power as well). There are a lot of black c6's available as well. A 2005 c6 is only going to be 2k to 6k more than a 2001 c5 with the same amount of miles it seems.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

I'm not really sure if I could afford much more then 17-18k tho. I can get a low miles c5 for that, the same price would yield a high mile first of the generation c6 which may be more problems aswell.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm not really sure if I could afford much more then 17-18k tho. I can get a low miles c5 for that, the same price would yield a high mile first of the generation c6 which may be more problems aswell.
Yeah, if you're at 18k max then c5 is the best path then probably. There was a guy selling a c6 with 77k miles on it for 21k on the board and I don't think it had sold yet after a couple weeks....but that's about as close as you're going to come probably. My problem is that I'd be willing to pay 17/18k for the right c5 but I haven't even really come close to finding it. Had my wife not expressed her thoughts a month into my search I'd probably already be in a yellow 6 speed. Unfortunately I'm now searching for an auto dark red, which seems to be really sucky to find because I need a passenger airbag shutoff switch (so only late 00's to 04's), don't really want anniversary color (so no 03's, but not 100% against it), and only want a coupe (no convert).

My 'real' budget limit is about 32k but I'd really prefer not to spend more than 18k on a c5 and 30k on a c6 unless something just perfect came along. I figure that if I get over 18k I might as well go c6 at that point. I just wish there wasn't so much give and take on the c5/c6 thing, if I could take the c5 exterior with the c6 interior then I'd have something.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

Well honestly I don't know my max, but I figured 18k is a good setpoint. im at around 40k a year all my bills for where I live is like 450. But I want plenty of leftover money just in case even though I have nothing else that consumes money but insurance and would be car payments when I get a vette.

The only way id pay 17/18k would be for the PERFECT corvette, electron blue 02 6spd coupe immaculate condition black or beige interior exhaust wheels and not high miles. But I can't seem to find it for that price lol. But I do have a chunk of money for a good firm down payment and I have two motorcycles I could sell, for sure selling one, so I think financially im in well enough shape to buy a c5 if I have the credit for a loan.

I do like the c6's as well and really do wish like you there wasn't so much give and take between the generations. One thing that just gets me is the headlights on a c5, I really dislike them but alotta aftermarket ones look horrid. The nice thing about a c5 though is you still look and probably feel like a million bucks driving one even as middle class. The general population thinks you have deep pockets so it's gotta be damn fun.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:39 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well honestly I don't know my max, but I figured 18k is a good setpoint. im at around 40k a year all my bills for where I live is like 450. But I want plenty of leftover money just in case even though I have nothing else that consumes money but insurance and would be car payments when I get a vette.

The only way id pay 17/18k would be for the PERFECT corvette, electron blue 02 6spd coupe immaculate condition black or beige interior exhaust wheels and not high miles. But I can't seem to find it for that price lol. But I do have a chunk of money for a good firm down payment and I have two motorcycles I could sell, for sure selling one, so I think financially im in well enough shape to buy a c5 if I have the credit for a loan.

I do like the c6's as well and really do wish like you there wasn't so much give and take between the generations. One thing that just gets me is the headlights on a c5, I really dislike them but alotta aftermarket ones look horrid. The nice thing about a c5 though is you still look and probably feel like a million bucks driving one even as middle class. The general population thinks you have deep pockets so it's gotta be damn fun.
I find it to be pretty difficult to find a decent deal on a non-standard color (i.e. not silver, black, or torch red). Especially silver. If I wanted silver I would have found a car in a week, lol...they're everywhere. I do have some 'fall back' options, cars that fit my criteria that I know I can buy at a certain price, but frankly they're not that great of deals, basically 'average'...if they sold I could probably go find one just like it without any trouble.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

Yea silver red and even yellow, if i wanted any one of those I could of been in one now. I utterly hate silver, I could live with white and maybe red but silver and yellow are a never. But the way I see it, I would be making the biggest investment so far in my life, and it's basically a toy, so might as well buy exactly what I want so I will never wish I had gotten something else ya know. If you settle you may realize you REALLY wanted that one specific thing and may spend more money in the end. So imma do it right the first time and have no regrets!

I really appreciate everybodys help, posting up stuff in here and sending me pm's of vettes and websites with vettes. Such a awesome forum y'all are a great bunch for sure!

Last edited by Johnn999; 02-20-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:11 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I know it is a way to go for you, but here is another one that looks kind of nice and is a dark blue 6 speed.

I have no interest or any relation to this car, it just looked nice for the price.

Good hunting.

http://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/2860675469.html

Last edited by QCVette; 02-21-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: removed bad link
Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

http://www.bestvalueautosales.net/ve...?VID=145437929
I am still trying to search for that perfect vette, and I found this one but its like a 5-6 hour drive. Think it's worth it or should I keep waiting and saving up for a larger down payment? Right now I can throw atleast 4.5k down.

I absolutely love Navy Blue, and targa top 6spd is a must aswell. Also since its a dealership im fairly certain they can get me a loan easier. So do yall think it's worth it or wait a few more months for it to get warmer and see what kinda deals pop up? Only thing that really worries me is they don't seem to of cleaned the car up much. You would think that would be something to do when you're trying to sell a corvette =/

Thanks for the help.
The distance wouldn't bother me, but as others have said, the price seems high for year and miles.

Looks like they have been trying to sell it for a few weeks. How do I talk down on a price and then be like oh ya I need a loan lol. Anybody got some pointers for that one?
Knowing that they've been trying to move it for a while can definitely be your advantage when buying. If they haven't been able to move it at their asking price, they should be more willing to take a reasonable offer for it.

IF the car checks out, I would make your offer and do your negotiations without bringing payment method into it. Once you have the deal at a price you're willing to pay, then the financing discussion can start. As others have mentioned, it would be a good idea to get pre-approved for something from your bank or credit union first. If it ends up that the dealer offers you a better rate, great, if not, you can often use the lower rate from another place as a negotiation piece to get an even lower rate through them. This may not apply to a smaller dealer that doesn't do their own financing, but they make money from financing, so they can be motivated to have you finance through them.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
corvetteandsilverado
Pro

If you find the right car for you then the distance shouldn't matter I drove from DE to NC to pick up my 02Z with 39k for 21,000. I knew I like the car got approved from my credit union got a cashiers check and picked it up. If you wait long enough you will find your right car
Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 PM
sonny557
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Silver

Not to beat a dead horse, GET A SILVER C5 !!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 PM
sonny557
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Silver

Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
GBsC5Vert
Pro

Location: LA/OC border, probably sittin' under the patio, by the pool...smokin' a cigar! SoCal
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP, if you find a CA or FL car, etc., you can always post in the regional sections and see if someone can look at car for you. Get on the cell phone with the person when he/she is looking at the car for you, ask specific questions etc. I know I have offered up help a couple times to look at cars out here from other forum members who were on the other coast, etc. Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
jdub2k5
Instructor

I payed 21.5 (I was a return customer) for a loaded 02 yesterday with 28k miles

I overpayed(still under book) but I think that is priced way too high
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Johnn999
Instructor

I'm working on the loan for that blue one at executivemotorcarz. depending what I can get approved for ill probably try and offer 17-18k. Y'all think that would be reasonable or will a dealership not go that low?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I drive 3 hours round trip to get my oil changed from the right place. If you're concerned about the 6 hour drive for a purchase, forget about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Worth 5-6hours drive?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm working on the loan for that blue one at executivemotorcarz. depending what I can get approved for ill probably try and offer 17-18k. Y'all think that would be reasonable or will a dealership not go that low?
Seems reasonable to me. Go for it!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM
jdub2k5
Instructor

Originally Posted by taylor34
You looked at c6's at all? I originally started out looking strictly at c5's, but after looking for a month with no luck I started looking at c6's as well...there's a lot more of them available and frankly the prices aren't that much more than c5's. I think I still like the outside of the c5's better but the interior is way better in the c6 (plus extra power as well). There are a lot of black c6's available as well. A 2005 c6 is only going to be 2k to 6k more than a 2001 c5 with the same amount of miles it seems.
I found a c6 loaded with 50k miles for 3k more than I bought my 02 c5 for with 28k miles

and that car was nice... (just didnt want a c6 yet)
Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

Still no answer for my bank on the loan yet. I sent the guy another email asking if he needs any more information or whatever. They emailed me back next day asking for more information and I gave it to them thursday night. Hopefully I can get it and have someone go look at the car soon and possibly get this beauty this weekend!

What would be the best way to get it? Rent a car and drive up there, if I don't like it just drive the car back, bus would probably take forever, would airplane ticket be any cheaper? I wish I could just have my brother drive with me but i don't trust my car for a 8 hour drive haha.

EDIT: Just kinda answered my own question, looked at enterprise only like $300 to rent a car and drive to an airport near there. Gas can't be to terribly much either. And this car is so nice, the ONE thing I dislike is I really want a light oak interior, but everything else is fine. And B&B Bullets would be nice.

Last edited by Johnn999; 02-29-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Worth 5-6hours drive?